American Bullfrogs

smokey-seven

NES Member
Here's the scenario.

I live on a lake in MA. We have had Bullfrogs and a variety of other frogs forever. Years ago the Leopard frogs disappeared when they drained the marsh upstream and built public housing on what were wetlands. Something that could never be done today, but that is ancient history. There are still some American Toads but nowhere what there used to be. I'm talking 70 years of time here.

I have seen the Great Blue Heron population go from nothing in the distant past to 7 monster birds around the lake at a time. We have White Herons now as well.

The Bull Frogs used to sing all night during the Summer. It is almost silent these last couple years.

I know that there is no hunting season for Bullfrogs. No limit and they are not endangered. Given Mass Laws, are we capable of transporting a noninvasive species to our lake?

I see that I can buy American Bullfrog tadpoles and full grown frogs online. Can I legally pay some kids to collect some tadpoles or frogs and transport them to my lake? Give the kids some spending money and replenish the dwindling supply? Or am I just feeding GBH birds?

Send me to a MA wildlife site I can get a real answer please. I don't want to trigger an investigation early.

Now, if you contact MassWildlife, they may do it, if in their opinion, it's a good idea.

I'm trying to stay away from the Commonwealth unless it is the last alternative.

I am sick and tired of the orientals releasing Red Eared Pond Sliders into local ponds and lakes, thus driving out the native endangered Spotted Turtles and Painteds. They buy and release them for luck on their holidays/birthdays. Red Eared Pond Sliders should be banned for sale. Contacting MA is a lost cause there.

Why would reinvigorating a native species be wrong?

Finally..... IS IT ILLEGAL?

I'm trying to stay away from the Commonwealth unless it is the last alternative.

I am sick and tired of the orientals releasing Red Eared Pond Sliders into local ponds and lakes, thus driving out the native endangered Spotted Turtles and Painteds. They buy and release them for luck on their holidays/birthdays. Red Eared Pond Sliders should be banned for sale. Contacting MA is a lost cause there.

from the link I posted:

Not only is moving
wildlife illegal in Massachusetts

It's legal, if nobody finds out about it![wink]

I grew up in the Rocky Mountains....and used to love eating Frog Legs!........and have watched the demise of Frogs
all over this country in the last 50 years. It is happening everywhere

If you need help with money to buy Tadpoles, I will pitch in! It's the least I owe the little green critters![rolleyes]

I should tell you the story of the Suicide Frogs of Clinton Montana......but I think I posted it hear somewhere.[rofl][rofl][rofl]

Last edited:
Just do it. Don’t out yourself on a public forum. I just read an article about re-seeding soft shell clams in quincy bay. Now that’s a total waste of time and money. Nobody can dig them so only the wildlife will be enjoying the feast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that the type of frog that can be frozen solid, then unfrozen, wake up, come to life, and be good as new?

My gramps and his brothers caught them by the hundreds in the 20s/30s.
Sold them to a local fancy eatery to help support the family. He told me they got 5 cents a piece.

i used to plink .22s and get a dozen or so frogs when i was a kid. My dad loved the frogs legs....i just liked the sport.

Looking back, maybe shooting a .22 into rocks just slightly underwater at close range was not so smart....

i used to plink .22s and get a dozen or so frogs when i was a kid. My dad loved the frogs legs....i just liked the sport.

Looking back, maybe shooting a .22 into rocks just slightly underwater at close range was not so smart....

The difference between, "stupid," and, "ballsy," is with, "ballsy," you didn't get hurt.
-Aphorisms of MisterHappy

someone in my town was asking how to legally transplant a spotted salamander from her flower pot. I thought “gently pick it up and see how far you can wip it”

The difference between, "stupid," and, "ballsy," is with, "ballsy," you didn't get hurt.
-Aphorisms of MisterHappy

must be ballsy, since i did this MANY times

in hindsight, maybe some crowshot in the .22 would have been the way to go

More herons = less frogs. Bullfrogs are also cannibals and eat other frogs. So who knows. Pond in a town was packed full of bullfrogs. Some pretty good sized water moccasins as well. Maybe more stuff has been eating them.

Pheasant hunting this am with my dog.
He starts sniffing at something on the ground and it jumps in the air....
Yep, the very rare one-eyed bullfrog...
IMG_5804.jpg IMG_5805.jpg

Back
Top Bottom