• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Am I pushing it? LTC app question

Hello,

I applied for my LTC last week, but need to give some additional material to the liscesing officer. During the interview process the officer told me they don't give ALP unless there is a compelling reason (carry lots of cash for work, etc).

In the cover letter for the remaining material I've added this paragraph:

I know that you are reluctant to issue licenses for “all lawful purposes”, but I do request that you consider this level of license be issued to me, rather than the more restricted Class A “Hunting and Target”. We did discuss the desire for training of those who carry concealed and we were in agreement that this is important. I am interested in your suggestions of a course of training appropriate for civilian gun owners, regardless of the level of permit you choose to issue.

Am I pushing it too much? I don't think it could hurt. I don't carry bags of diamonds or such so can't make an argument based on my work that I need it. He dismisses "personal protection" out of hand... all I can really do is beg...

What do you think?

Thanks,
Matt

You could always argue that you NEED protection from close minded police officers in your town! :D :D [twisted]

There is a sticky in this section which specifically details the hows and whys of the application process.

Did you bother to read it? [roll]

Remember the police care, they are your friends [roll] That licensing officer can protect himself and loved ones 'cause he can carry....you are a lesser order of being.

Frankly, I don't think it will make much of a difference. Humiliating to know that you are tainted and not quite trusted by your pals, the cops.

Regards,

Mark

Are you a member of GOAL?

If so, give them a call and ask for a copy of their brief on why it is in the LICENSING AUTHORITY'S BEST INTEREST to issue ALP! Then give a copy to your licensing authority and ask him to read it and give it consideration.

It worked in our town, the current chief came in and started restricting everyone, I gave him the brief, asked him to read it and get back to me if he had any questions. A few months later at a BOD for the club I belonged to back then, it was reported he was only issuing ALP! When I next saw the chief, his unsolicited comment was "see, I listened to you"!! [twisted]

Scrivener has had lawyerly dealings with this chief and he can tell you that the guy is NOT a friend to lawful gun owners!

Give that a try. I wouldn't waste the ink on your letter, no offense but even the police in MA do not do any defensive handgun training! I know as I've been one and have recently spoken with one of our PD firearms instructors about the current qualification course.

Scrivener said:
Did you bother to read it? [roll]

yes, and when I saw your response, I re-read it thinking I must have missed something... was there something I missed? I think it was your post that said ALP is totally at the discression of the liscensing authority. So I'm grovelling to said authority as I have no other recourse...

My question is what degree of grovelling is appropriate? (acknolaging up front it may be totally ineffective in any case)

Matt

Matt,

Since they already told you that they don't issue ALPs (unless there's a VERY valid reason <and they deem what's VERY valid>), then I don't see anything wrong with what you wrote.

Scrivener, I also went back and reread what you wrote. I didn't see anything more than Matt did, so, can you, without any sarcasim intended or otherwise, please reiterate what you were refering to?

I did and it disappeared

"Scrivener, I also went back and reread what you wrote. I didn't see anything more than Matt did, so, can you, without any sarcasim intended or otherwise, please reiterate what you were refering to?"

I did better than that; I posted a nearly-complete addendum to the application, complete with edition and page citations from Glidden's book. It was posted last night and has mysteriously disappeared.

Any mods care to illuminate this dark mystery for us?

Re: I did and it disappeared

Scrivener said:
"Scrivener, I also went back and reread what you wrote. I didn't see anything more than Matt did, so, can you, without any sarcasim intended or otherwise, please reiterate what you were refering to?"

I did better than that; I posted a nearly-complete addendum to the application, complete with edition and page citations from Glidden's book. It was posted last night and has mysteriously disappeared.

Any mods care to illuminate this dark mystery for us?

If you're talking about the post that Len mentioned - it's still there hun. If you're referring to another post...ya got me. This is the only one I saw.

Thanks, all. I got tangled in the threads! [oops]

It was supposed to be posted here - hard to keep track of so many licensing question threads.

Well, at least there is now a link to it here.

Scrivener, always have a pair of scissors handy . . . just in case you get tangled up again, you can cut your way out. [lol]

Back
Top Bottom