Am I Nuts?

At last check, I have my 9mm brass sorted by manufacturer, 20 different manufacturers. Am I wasting my time? I'm not loading for competition. I'm loading to get a close match to my carry ammo.

Plus it doesn't seem natural to have the Rems mixed in with the Federals.[wink]
Yup, I guess I'm a little nuts.

Kurt

If you are satisfied hitting a grapefruit sized target at seven yards, you are probably wasting your time.
But, it is your time, and if it seems worthwhile, go for it.
Different makes of brass will have different capacities and, more importantly, different neck tension. Neck tension will make a noticeable difference in group sizes with all handguns.

Jack

If you must segragate, I would suggest two catagories, military, & commercial. Unless you are into some kind of bullseye type competion, you probably can't hold better than the ammo will shoot. I have been using 5G. of Unique behind a 121G hand cast RN bullet for years. There are better powders out now, and you might consider Universal, etc.

waste of time

I never sorted brass and shot target loads.only if your a big time compeditor would you sort.at least it was my view on 38 and 45.I shoot a mod 10 bull with Bomar rib.and an AMT long slide.I only wish I had the eye sight then that I have now.[smile][rolleyes]

For just fun shooting you don't need to sort brass, as has been said here. You can if you want to as a way to kill time at the loading bench. If you, like a lot of us, pick up brass at the range, it's nice to see what you have picked up.

1. With one exception, sorting brass is a waste of time, since the error budget from brass heritage variations will be less than that from a host of other factors, with a 9mm auto.

2. The except is military; some military 9mm employs crimped primers; some does not. Any military that you acquire for the first time should have the primer pocket swaged as a precaution.

3. That said, a potential implication that some might see in some of the above replies is that there is no need to inspect brass. I don't know of that was intended by the responders, but I think failing to inspect brass, including your own but especially stuff the prior history of which you don't know anything about, would be foolhardy.

4. Some people refuse to reload "range brass." Their theory is that the cost of brass isn't high enough to run the risk. I'm one of those folks.

I don't think you're nuts. I don't always sort myself but when I don't I tend to reload on my LNL slower. The inconsistencies in tolerances from brand to brand cause minor issues. First- different primer pockets throw off my rythm. Also for some reason- in .45ACP I find that when reloading once fired brass in say Federal, Win and R&P- with the same setting- R&P brass bells considerably more than others, Win bells less and Federal is just about right. Anal?? I don't know.. I guess I just take pride in my work... and my fingers. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom