all usgi 1942 Saginaw (general motors)1919a4 coming back to life

Got the receiver together, and riveted it all together, and got all parts parkerized yesterday. Today need to piece all together, and hope will fire without a hitch.

Some pics thus far

IMAG1027_zps6dbfdb3b.jpg

IMAG1028_zps03e8a8b2.jpg

IMAG1032_zps111468fb.jpg

IMAG1035_zps5a295c13.jpg

IMAG1038_zps30d05b4d.jpg

IMAG1039_zps85ee6283.jpg

IMAG1033_zps1d58e179.jpg

Good God!!! That's a hell of a successful project. Thanks for sharing the progression.

I'd love to mount that on my wife's Land Cruiser and drive around Wellesley.....................

Thanks guys. I'll get more detailed pics, and give more detailed history and description of Saginaw made Browning mg's when I get home. as aside from making the most, they had production techniques that were unique to just them.

Awesome build!

I have a Izzy Saginaw 1919a4 which I bought demilled with the front trunion cut.
I converted into a airsoft gun and made a (loose copy) of a Mk1 Emergency response tripod for it.

Your build makes me think about locating a new trunion, side plate, going through the paperwork, and bringing it back to life.

1919a4_36.jpg

1919a4_39.jpg

M2 tripod, Mk1 ER tripod, M3 tripod.
1919a4_9.jpg

Well got her out to Reading Rifle earlier. Fudds were out, but paid no attention to their opinions.

Nice sunny morning, Perfect day for a test. Fired 1 round loaded at a time at first to ensure no runaway ect, just to text fire, cocking and extraction.

then moved to links and cloth belts, and am happy to say, other than some tweaking needed to the trigger return spring, she ran like a champ.

Saginaw 1919's are by far most common, as they made most. Mostly cause of their automotive background, they perfected casting parts, which sped up production, while keeping costs down. Saginaw marked most of their non cast parts with flaming bombs, but not always. cant identify Saginaw parts by flaming bombs, being a cast part, as were only ones who did it, and by marked S.G.

Mine, when I got my kit, came with rear section of the original side plate with the serial number 217124 which put it around april 1942. I made my plate as an exact replica, in terms of markings, inspector marks, and serial number, though added a "1" at end to set apart from original as no original is 7 digits long.

here are pics of it out in light. some things youll notice unlike most builds out there today, is I use a USGI rear cartridge stop, compared to the small izzy ones. the safety bar was eliminated by the army in 1943 (my original plate showed was attached), and when we gave guns to isreal, they drilled the left plated to be able to attach the bars to the guns, as they liked them.

note faint but there flaming bomb on shroud

first cloth belt test. not the break in rounds. safety incase of a runaway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your build makes me think about locating a new trunion, side plate, going through the paperwork, and bringing it back to life.

By "going through the paperwork" I assume you mean trying to find a transferable RSP. I wish you luck with that, they are few and far between. I haven't seen one for sale in ages and I've been looking. Last one I saw for sale was going for 10K.

just when I thought I spent enough on parts, travel ect, I end up buing a new made 1919/vickers cloth belt loader for it.... now my stockpile of HXP is in dire danger LOL

For the 550 it cost, and ability to change from 3006, 308, 303, 7.54R and 8mm easily made it well worth money, and far easier to use than a USGI loader.

That's pretty sweet.

I use one of these. Nowhere near as cool as yours, but a whole bunch cheaper. [grin]

Attachments

• Linker_04_T.jpg
    Linker_04_T.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 23
Outstanding work my friend. I am on a waiting list with DSA arms for a PKM, its been a year now. Parts are next to impossible to find. When, and I hope its soon, we can bring them to a shoot and shoot them side by side. Should make for some LOUD noise making if nothing else. Again great job buddy.

I will be starting another semi build soon, but may keep the auto internals so I can switch back and forth. I would keep the semi side plate and modify 2 sets of parts to accomplish this.

Outstanding work my friend. I am on a waiting list with DSA arms for a PKM, its been a year now. Parts are next to impossible to find. When, and I hope its soon, we can bring them to a shoot and shoot them side by side. Should make for some LOUD noise making if nothing else. Again great job buddy.

now that I don't kill fingers loading belts now, im game :)

well after a lot of blood, sweat, and especially tears, I have finally worked out the bug that made semiauto operation almost non existant.. Stupid me as it was something so obvious too...

well she runs like a rape ape now. Now to install the crankfire device.

[video=youtube_share;wO1FSjHAxs0]http://youtu.be/wO1FSjHAxs0[/video]

well after a lot of blood, sweat, and especially tears, I have finally worked out the bug that made semiauto operation almost non existant.. Stupid me as it was something so obvious too...

well she runs like a rape ape now. Now to install the crankfire device.

[video=youtube_share;wO1FSjHAxs0]http://youtu.be/wO1FSjHAxs0[/video]

Nice!

Back
Top Bottom