• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

All matching WWII K98 bring back and German Dagger

DW357

NES Member
So a friend of mine had been telling me that he had an all matching K98 Mauser that his great uncle brought back from WWII among other things. He finally sent me some photos tonight as well as the bayonet that came with the rifle and a dagger. It's pretty interesting to see the swastikas on the rifle and the dagger.

Some of the photos aren't the best but the numbers 9703 are on every part of the rifle.

Any historical information on the rifle and dagger from fellow NESers is greatly appreciated too! Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm using Tapatalk to upload the photos that's why I don't have them all in one post. Sorry.

Nice! He needs to hit that barrel/receiver with some CLP and bronze wool to kill the surface rust though.

Nice! He needs to hit that barrel/receiver with some CLP and bronze wool to kill the surface rust though.

Yeah I cringed when I saw the rust. Hopefully he can get it off. I'd imagine this is still fairly valuable/collectible? That dagger is pretty cool.

Yeah I cringed when I saw the rust. Hopefully he can get it off. I'd imagine this is still fairly valuable/collectible? That dagger is pretty cool.

If he has the bring back papers to provide the provenance, it would be even more valuable. As it is I'm sure its worth at least as much as the non-matching ones I saw at The Armory for about $799

Your dagger is a luftwaffe dagger worn by officers, but I don't believe by general officers. In mint condition worth north of 2 grand. And you have the hanger, nice. Too bad for the condition. Still nice though, interesting.

Your dagger is a luftwaffe dagger worn by officers, but I don't believe by general officers. In mint condition worth north of 2 grand. And you have the hanger, nice. Too bad for the condition. Still nice though, interesting.

Oh okay, interesting. The dagger doesn't look like its in awful condition but certainly not mint. Really cool nonetheless.

- - - Updated - - -

If he has the bring back papers to provide the provenance, it would be even more valuable. As it is I'm sure its worth at least as much as the non-matching ones I saw at The Armory for about $799

He didn't say if he had papers along with it. I'll have to ask him tomorrow. Yeah I'd think it would worth at least that especially due to the matching numbers and the German markings/swastikas on the rifle. Not sure though as I'm no expert.

- - - Updated - - -

He's never shot it before but said he'd like to at some point. Good idea to shoot it? Probably want to break it down and lube it at least. I know I don't have any 8mm ammo kicking around, pricey stuff.

He doesn't need paperwork to possess/own these right. I'm not familiar with bring back guns/daggers so forgive my ignorance asking lol.

Ouch! Those are going for that much? I posted in the WTB section that I'm looking for one but that's more than I paid for my Garand.

Greg

DO NOT clean the rifle if there is any question as to technique. Relics have been destroyed by aggressive cleaning. This one can be saved without diminishing the finish. Oil soak and time are your friends. Abrasives are your enemies.

i.e. The following Luger was once a rust bucket. Six months of soaking the metal in oil, and it wiped clean with just a toothbrush and soft cloth.

PickelHaube1_001.JPG

DO NOT clean the rifle if there is any question as to technique. Relics have been destroyed by aggressive cleaning. This one can be saved without diminishing the finish. Oil soak and time are your friends. Abrasives are your enemies.

i.e. The following Luger was once a rust bucket. Six months of soaking the metal in oil, and it wiped clean with just a toothbrush and soft cloth.

PickelHaube1_001.JPG
What oil did you use? Motor oil, ATF, CLP?

PickelHaube1_001.JPG

THIS 1000 times over... oil and rag nothing more.

An all matching ar 43 (Mauser Borsigwalde, ~ 120k made in 1943)! Have him to give it some TLC.
The bayo is a WWI-era 98/05.

Wow so the bayonet is from WWI era? That's awesome, I'll let him know. Thanks.

PickelHaube1_001.JPG

Yeah I wouldn't trust myself or think it would be a good idea to start scrubbing away with something fairly abbrasive.

Wow! Six months of soaking in oil!? That's a long time but at least you won't be destroying the finish doing it that way. As josh asked, what would you recommend? CLP?

I'll make sure to tell him NOT to start scrubbing it with abrasives which I'm sure he wouldn't. It just sits in his safe, never been shot (by him anyway).

He'll probably need additional room in his safe, so I'll take it and provide the necessary room. [wink]

He'll probably need additional room in his safe, so I'll take it and provide the necessary room. [wink]

Haha okay. I'll let ya know if he ever decides to part with it but currently he has no interest in doing so since it's been in his family for a while.

I was going to say... that dagger must be worth more than the rifle. Pretty cool.

Yeah he's been wondering what a ballpark value is for the rifle, bayonet, and dagger. Like I said before, he does not want to sell but is curious about the value as it sits in his safe. So I told him I could help him out by asking fellow NES experts.

Yeah he's been wondering what a ballpark value is for the rifle, bayonet, and dagger. Like I said before, he does not want to sell but is curious about the value as it sits in his safe. So I told him I could help him out by asking fellow NES experts.

I would guess around $3K for everything but there are others here who know a lot more about K98's and their value than I do. See what they all have to say.

I would guess around $3K for everything but there are others here who know a lot more about K98's and their value than I do. See what they all have to say.

Wow that's not too bad. I think he'd be pretty pumped to hear its worth that amount as he doesn't know a whole lot about the rifle and dagger. Thanks.

It's a 1st model Left dagger. I paid $1,500 for a mint one with all aluminum fittings.

Back
Top Bottom