• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

All 5 MA Dem Gov candidates oppose death penalty for speed bumps brother

i'm against the death penalty for him. way too easy a way out. i oppose life in prison. but for making this ****stick's life torturous, i'll happily provide tax dollars.

however, when we grant the power to the state to take life... who knows where it'll go from there.

This is a huge part of why I disagree with the death penalty. When you give the government the ability to kill people they decide are dangerous, who prevents them from devolving to the point that they are lining people up against the wall because they don't like their beliefs, their thoughts, or their statements? Always remember that it could be you being executed. You can scream that it would never happen to you all you want, but it really could happen to you.

This is a huge part of why I disagree with the death penalty. When you give the government the ability to kill people they decide are dangerous, who prevents them from devolving to the point that they are lining people up against the wall because they don't like their beliefs, their thoughts, or their statements? Always remember that it could be you being executed. You can scream that it would never happen to you all you want, but it really could happen to you.

You're OK with prison, though?

Right. Rape, pillage, and burn. Survival of the biggest gang.

I'll take a society where people are responsible for dealing with other people who don't live up to the social code any day privately over one where career politicians take it upon themselves to decide who gets to live and die or spend their lives in cages.

I'll take a society where people are responsible for dealing with other people who don't live up to the social code any day privately over one where career politicians take it upon themselves to decide who gets to live and die or spend their lives in cages.

Right. As long as you have the biggest gang.

My issue with this is a state vs. federalism one.

The crime of murder is against state law. The people of this state have repeatedly chosen *not* to have a death penalty. Like it or hate it, we should have to live with that decision.

What federal crime did flash-bang commit? He didn't target federal property. There is some vague "terrorism" and "mass destruction" bullshit in there that gives the feds the right to butt in and impose the death penalty. I have a huge problem with this. Essentially they can use the "terrorism" excuse to do whatever they want in the future...

the flip side of that coin is do we really want state-sanctioned murders for "terrorists"? they already classify most of us right here as such.

Bingo. Funny how this state opposes the death penalty for extremely vicious, rapes, murders and kidnapping cases, yet they want this kid dead ASAP. This fact alone makes me very suspicious.

If he is found guilty and sent to any prison, once the in-house thugs get him, it will eventually be a premature death sentence.

I'm always split on this issue. I think murderous scumbags deserve death.

But at the same time, capital punishment is the hallmark of a tyrannical/police state. Plus I think there's greater punishment in being thrown away in a hole then "getting out of it early" via the death penalty.

The problem with capital punishment is that it eventually snowballs. First it's murderers (not a bad idea), then it's rapists, then kidnappers, then shoplifters, jaywalkers, etc.

Allowing the state to make life/death decisions isn't compatible with a free society, IMHO.

I'm always split on this issue. I think murderous scumbags deserve death.

But at the same time, capital punishment is the hallmark of a tyrannical/police state. Plus I think there's greater punishment in being thrown away in a hole then "getting out of it early" via the death penalty.

The problem with capital punishment is that it eventually snowballs. First it's murderers (not a bad idea), then it's rapists, then kidnappers, then shoplifters, jaywalkers, etc.

Allowing the state to make life/death decisions isn't compatible with a free society, IMHO.
Not to make lite of it but I think internet fraud deserves the death penalty, I look at the result of the crime and cruel and unusual punishment doesn't seem so bad.

Back
Top Bottom