Alaska the last frontier season 6 - What type of guns they carry and shoot ?

I don't know, but if I lived in the bush of Alaska I think I would carry a .44 mag Ruger Redhawk for a handgun, and a M1A with the heaviest .308 round I could find for a rifle.

One of the guy's wife was practicing with a 30-06 bolt action a couple seasons ago and got scope kissed. Her jackass husband was teaching her to shoot so ahe could hunt with him. She had that scope right up to her eye....and he didnt even warn her and she fired! Boof! Rigt in the eye. Nobody said these guys were all smart!

I'd probably carry a lever action and pistol chambered for 44 magnum. When my dad was stationed in Alaska that was pretty common for rifles and pistols to be chambered for the same round. A lot of the old timers back then (1950's) liked have a small rifle for trapping and hunting in the brush. Or the pistol when they were cleaning traps or fishing and a bear or whatever was sniffing around. Made a lot of sense to me.

I don't know, but if I lived in the bush of Alaska I think I would carry a .44 mag Ruger Redhawk for a handgun, and a M1A with the heaviest .308 round I could find for a rifle.

M1As don't do well with the heaviest .308 rounds, 170 grain is just about max for the action...

I'd probably carry a lever action and pistol chambered for 44 magnum. When my dad was stationed in Alaska that was pretty common for rifles and pistols to be chambered for the same round. A lot of the old timers back then (1950's) liked have a small rifle for trapping and hunting in the brush. Or the pistol when they were cleaning traps or fishing and a bear or whatever was sniffing around. Made a lot of sense to me.

^^^ This

One of the guy's wife was practicing with a 30-06 bolt action a couple seasons ago and got scope kissed. Her jackass husband was teaching her to shoot so ahe could hunt with him. She had that scope right up to her eye....and he didnt even warn her and she fired! Boof! Rigt in the eye. Nobody said these guys were all smart!

Actually, he did tell her but she didn't listen.

^^^^ This ^^^^^^ no need to over think it

I'd carry a bodyguard. Not the S&W 38spl. A real live bodyguard. Have him armed to the teeth. That way:

1. He takes out whatever it is that's attacking us

or

2. He's so weighed down with his teeth-armor that I can outrun him and escape.

You guys all want to do things yourself. [rofl]

So, lets see...

First, there is this:

69487_01_s_w_500_mag_bear_kit_640.jpg

.500 Magnum "Survival" kit. Notice this is a short barrel with no comp.

Then, to meet your "lever action in the same caliber" requirement, you need one of these:

wm_8481116.jpg

Big Horn Armory .500 Lever Action.

The lever action is a fantastic gun. Very comfortable to shoot for what it is. The action is just as finicky to short stroking the lever as any Model 86 Winchester, but if you don't treat the gun as a delicate flower, it does just fine. Of course, the 18 month wait list and price tag might annoy some. As for the pistol, that is just brutal. Shoot at dusk and watch the huge muzzle flash as powder is still burning long after the bullet is gone. The 4" is significantly nicer and doesn't have those hunter orange grips that look stupid in a holster. The remainder of the "survival kit" is pretty much worthless. That said, these kits are priced crazy now that they are discontinued. What I can pretty much assure you is that the gun won't have many rounds.

It the 500 is to big and the 308 not quite big enough then the 44 magnum makes perfect sense.
Now which ones in 44 mag would be your personal preferences for all around life in the bush ?
Reliability, dependability, longevity (rust proof), availability and cost of ammo to be considered...

Last edited:
So, lets see...

First, there is this:

69487_01_s_w_500_mag_bear_kit_640.jpg

.500 Magnum "Survival" kit. Notice this is a short barrel with no comp.

Then, to meet your "lever action in the same caliber" requirement, you need one of these:

wm_8481116.jpg

Big Horn Armory .500 Lever Action.

The lever action is a fantastic gun. Very comfortable to shoot for what it is. The action is just as finicky to short stroking the lever as any Model 86 Winchester, but if you don't treat the gun as a delicate flower, it does just fine. Of course, the 18 month wait list and price tag might annoy some. As for the pistol, that is just brutal. Shoot at dusk and watch the huge muzzle flash as powder is still burning long after the bullet is gone. The 4" is significantly nicer and doesn't have those hunter orange grips that look stupid in a holster. The remainder of the "survival kit" is pretty much worthless. That said, these kits are priced crazy now that they are discontinued. What I can pretty much assure you is that the gun won't have many rounds.
Didn't they also make two other survival kits in a little smaller caliber? 454 and another one I think.

Didn't they also make two other survival kits in a little smaller caliber? 454 and another one I think.
Love those to, but besides shooting a grizzly towering over you or any other situation were you would need to save yourself what is the use - a bit much for a dear per say

I was watching that, when I saw Jane with the scope up to her eye, I told my wife she was going to get scope eyed.

Back
Top Bottom