AK47 receiver: Stamped vs Milled. Is it a big deal and why?

SKumar

NES Member
Just like the title says.

Is it a milled receiver more "durable" than a stamped? Does it REALLY make that big if a difference? Is milled good for collectability purposes only?

I've gotta say, I have a romanian stamped receiver that looks 1mm thick and I don't think this thing is going anywhere anytime soon.

Doesn’t matter, Russians like stamped since it’s a weight savings.
I have a few and actually take my milled SAM7 to the range more than the others.
Of course milled will be stronger but stamped they say will still last just as long even in the battlefield

Attachments

• 18507DB2-F9FD-4D91-9B44-EB6677873A26.jpeg
    18507DB2-F9FD-4D91-9B44-EB6677873A26.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 49
my understanding of the ak platform concept was the rifle was basically meant to be tossed away when it broke down instead of being repaired and of course stamping kept the cost down and was less time consuming to manufacture. besides being stronger and heavier, nothing else comes to the table when comparing differences between the two manufacturing methods. i bought a milled ak only because i had in my head it was a quality thing. as far as i know, there are no differences in the tolerances. mil spec is mil spec and one shouldn't out shoot the other.

There are many AK purists that want a milled reciever because they think it will last longer, take more abuse, etc etc....A properly heat treated stamped reciever will be here and shooting long after the first few owners are dead. Stamped is fine.

Milling for AKs only came about because of early mechanical/process limitations of the available technologies. The intention was always to stamp, and once the Soviet Union resolved those limitations they resumed stamping.

Milled is heavier and and brings the same pros/cons that added weight provides to firearms in general. It might be nominally stronger, but a proper stamped receiver should outlast many generations.

This is actually a very long conversation. Converting from milled to stamped (going AK to AKM in 1959) created certain problems for Soviets. In FA fire, the harmonics and flex of the stamped receiver created issues that had to be solved with changed the FA sear/fire rate phase changer. These are likely not going to be issues for you. But if you're going full zombie apocalypse, go milled, why not.

Just picked up my first milled receiver this week but haven't shot it yet. The quality feels a little more solid than my stamped Yugo N-Pap, and the action feels like it cycles a little smoother when working it by hand. That being said, I bet it will be completely unnoticeable when firing. Perhaps the only difference I can foresee is slightly less felt recoil due to the added weight.

I just 'had' to have one (milled receiver AK)...and I'm actually starting to like my AK's way more than my AR's. Not for accuracy potential or anything like that, but definitely for sheer fun-factor and ease of cleaning. I wouldn't go so far as to say that either weapon is superior to the other, as they're apples and oranges...but I know what I'd grab if I only had one choice in a bad situation.

people say the bulgy ones are the best built out there
Im just fuk'n around .... The great thing about the ak is it does not need to be anything more than stamp pos.
i have a mak90 i cant even tell you how many rounds have gone through it. 10s of k for sure. Used to buy cheap corrosive ammo late 80s early 90s

Ian McCollum ("Forgotten Weapons") has a number of excellent videos covering the developmental history of the AK-47, including the initial stamped receivers (Type 1), the initial milled receivers (Type 2), and the subsequent reversion to modified stamped receivers (Type 3).

milled is superior to stamped. Milled is much more rigid and doesn't flex during firing, resulting in tighter groups. My Bulgy milled is more accurate than any of my stamped. Feels less sloppy when you shoot. Other than that, meh.

all guns flex when they shoot. less or more is the determining factor as to how it will effect accuracy.

if you're looking for stellar accuracy out of an AK, you're doing it wrong. they were made to be 'minute of man' accurate at engagement level distances with a cartridge that could disable a man...or a horse.

i prefer my bulgarian milled because it's softer shooting due to the increased weight.

but i still prefer my Yugo if it's something i'm going to carry around with me all day. N-Pap weighs 8.5lbs fully loaded...still hefty for stamped I think.

to say that one is superior over the other is mAssinine.

6 in one hand...half dozen in the other.

Back
Top Bottom