AK questions

Anybody have any good experiences with upgrading AK sighting systems?
Either front post or rear or both. I read a post mentioning filing the front sight on an angle and painting it white/red/green/yellow but I'm not sure how that'd work out if I ever need to adjust it again.

Also, my muzzle has a huge ding in it now,wan't easy to do but I did it [frown], and it's welded on. Anyone know someone local who might be able to assist in taking this one off and putting another on.

PM's welcome if there is a fear of trolls.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Anybody have any good experiences with upgrading AK sighting systems?

Either front post or rear or both. I read a post mentioning filing the front sight on an angle and painting it white/red/green/yellow but I'm not sure how that'd work out if I ever need to adjust it again.

What do you mean by "upgrade"?

Irons or optics?

An AK doesn't have nearly the same modularity or availability of aftermarket parts as an AR-15... your options are kind of limited.

For iron sights...

There are rear aperture/peep sights available and PKM style leaf sights with windage adjustment (hard to find), but I think that's pretty much it.

Removing the original rear sight can be a PITA. There's a special tool you can buy (or fabricate), to make it easier.

There are probably fewer options available for the front sight other than changing the sight post.

Ace Stocks has an item that looks pretty cool (I have it on my list of need to order things [smile])...

http://www.riflestocks.com/AKAccessories.htm

AK47/M16 front sight windage stud Replaces windage stud on most common AK47 variants. Allows the use of M16/AR15 front sight posts. Enables the use of high quality tritium night sights. Does not include M16/AR15 sight post.

Personally... I've never found or had any noticeable improvement in sight acquisition or sight picture by painting my front sights (handgun or rifle), and I've tried bright white, florescent/day-glo, glow in the dark paints. But, that's just me... could be my age [thinking].

For optics...

Doe's your AK have a side mount rail?

If not, you'll have to buy and have it installed, or install it yourself.

Stay away from the top cover mounts... the top cover is very thin metal and actually flexes during firing.

There are any number of good choices (it all depends on your budget and requirements... I wouldn't throw a high end scope like a Leupold on there though).

Kalinka Optics has anything you could possibly need in that area.

The Kobra red dot scopes are nice and they're reasonably priced.

Also, my muzzle has a huge ding in it now,wan't easy to do but I did it [frown], and it's welded on. Anyone know someone local who might be able to assist in taking this one off and putting another on.

PM's welcome if there is a fear of trolls.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Is it a welded on muzzle cap or muzzle brake?

Does it extend anywhere where the muzzle crown reaches near the rifling?

Are you more concerned about accuracy or cosmetics?

Unless it's really bad... I wouldn't be too concerned with it... it's an AK [smile].

If it was a target, benchrest or 1" MOA (or less), rifle I'd be in panic mode [crying].

If it's just a muzzle cap you have on there, it can be ground off and
be (permanently), replaced with a slant style muzzle brake the way God and Mikhail Kalashnikov intended it to be [smile].

Back
Top Bottom