Ak pistol questions.

warwickben

bubba Kalashnikov
So I know in mass you can't really build a ak pistol due to the weight.

Would it be legal if I made a pistol that your able to put a buttstock on , and pin a barrel extension on it? Like not weld and pin, just pins going through the barrel and extension like a ak front sight is held on by?
Would this be be legal?

Why you may ask... I live near the nh boarder and shoot in nh a lot . Figure I get to the range, tap two pins out and unscrew the buttstock and I got a pistol when I have it in mass it meets the rifle refs.

The thing I'm confused about is what's a legal way to attach a barrel extension. If I'm not usesing threads .

I think what you're describing could easily be classified as an SBR. To avoid the whole NFA snafu, the barrel extension would need to be pinned/soldered on.

If I were you I'd just buy an AK pistol and keep it in NH.

I think what you're describing could easily be classified as an SBR. To avoid the whole NFA snafu, the barrel extension would need to be pinned/soldered on.

If I were you I'd just buy an AK pistol and keep it in NH.

I wasn't sure what counts when your not using threads .

It's legal to convert a pistol to rifle. So I'm know I'm good there.

Also I can't buy the caliber I I have parts for ;).

It's more wanting to know the legal issues.

IANAL, rifle is just 16" barrel, 24" oal, buttstock is not technically needed to be one. If your "pistol" meets that, then you are gtg in MA. But then you have to declare it as pistol on that FA10 form thingie.

Pinning is not enough just as pinning a "thread protector" is not enough for ATF. Plus you pinning in and out will get pins worn out fast. **** it, build it and keep it where it belongs in a free land.

Huh, good to know thanks.

And you can convert said rifle back to a pistol, so long as it began life as a pistol. Why the ATF insists on this "once a rifle always a rifle" thing is beyond me... at least other than the usual suspects of hating gun owners, 2A, and general bureaucratic bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

IANAL, rifle is just 16" barrel, 26" oal, buttstock is not technically needed to be one. If your "pistol" meets that, then you are gtg in MA. But then you have to declare it as pistol on that FA10 form thingie.

Pinning is not enough just as pinning a "thread protector" is not enough for ATF. Plus you pinning in and out will get pins worn out fast. **** it, build it and keep it where it belongs in a free land.

FIFY, 26" not 24".

Also, I don't know that declaring what MA law considers a rifle to be a pistol would help the OP any.

“Firearm”, a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

Last edited:
IANAL, rifle is just 16" barrel, 24" oal, buttstock is not technically needed to be one. If your "pistol" meets that, then you are gtg in MA. But then you have to declare it as pistol on that FA10 form thingie.

True lol . Just would need a nh home for the fire ball monster lol .

I was just confused cause all the things I could find delt with barrels with threads .

Why couldn't aks have a quick change barrel ..... Screw build ... Nah lol . I'll just do the 16 build it will shoot enough flames as is.

I'm just pissed about my psl and have a 10 inch useable barrel sitting in my draw.

You could semi permanently attach a drum mag. Or buy the pistol, have the FFL keep it, and then file sbr paperworkpaperwork

Back
Top Bottom