• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK front sight block / gas block benefits

I am curious if you guys could help to explain why someone would want a front sight/gas block on an AK 47. I understand it's advantages if you were going to make it a SBR. But what if you did not have plans to do a SBR?

I have heard that some of the front sight posts on non front sight/gas blocks have been canted a bit, but thats an easy fix from what I understand.

So what are the benefits?

What exactly are you asking?

What's the diffrence between FSB/GB and a standard gas block?

One is 90* the other is 45*

If you use the FSB/GB you will have a shorter site picture and a goofy looking AK....either way you will have to drill your holes at 90*.

I am asking why would someone want a combo front sight/gas block as opposed to a stand alone gas black and a threaded on to the barrel front sight.

Not sure I understand where your going with drilling 45/90. No drilling involved. I am speaking about purchasing already converted AKs.

My fear is you may be right. However I was really hoping for some ridiculously technical explanation that I am just too new to know about.

Last edited:
perhaps if someone wants to buy FSB-GB combo gun, because somewhere down the line they might turn it into SBR.

techincal reason behind FSB-GB combo is simple. it was created for rifles that were supposed to offer better muzzle velocity than AKS-U but still be somewhat more compact than full length AK (implemented in AK-102/104/105 series). It was achieved by reducing length of the barrel from standard 415mm (16.3") to 314mm (12.3"). At the same time this new 'carbine-version' of AK used same BCG and gastube as normal length AK - which was making it much more field-reliable and easy fixable unlike AKS-U that used proprietary parts that were not interchangeable with full-length AKs and therefore required to be returned to armory for fixing versus just picking up some repair kit from your TS officer or in the battle scenario taking appart KIA's rifle and swapping damaged parts.

off course here in US you can't have rifle with 12.3" barrel unless you go through SBR stamp bull shit. But nevertheless new combo gas-sight block 'made a splash' and became one of the signature points of AK-100 series of rifles, making it desirable feature to folks, who want to have newest and latest in AK development as oppose your average run of the mill 'ye-olde' AK-74 looks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom