• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Air rifle Scope for AR?

SteelShooter

NES Member
So I've got this scope I took off of my air rifle, it's a Leapers 4x32 about $30. It fits on my AR but I'm wondering if it will just fall apart if I shoot with it? Any thoughts on what may happen? I don't know if it will even be able to zero, I just don't want glass shattering the first time I shoot it either.

If it's made for an air rifle - don't use it on your AR. It will fit, but it is in no way designed to be mounted to a real firearm.

You get what you pay for....

So I've got this scope I took off of my air rifle, it's a Leapers 4x32 about $30. It fits on my AR but I'm wondering if it will just fall apart if I shoot with it? Any thoughts on what may happen? I don't know if it will even be able to zero, I just don't want glass shattering the first time I shoot it either.

Be careful, if the thing isn't designed to deal with the force/recoil of the round going off it might break off and come back at you, end up in your eye socket.

That would hurt, and it might make you blind of it gets you right.

I saw a scope that wasn't mounted properly do that to a kid, didn't make him blind,, but he was gun shy for a long time with a scope and he had a nice black eye to explain right after,

Why not Google the manufacturer and then send them an email asking if it's ok. FYI many scopes will stand up to firearms but cannot be used on air rifles because of the unique recoil of spring type air rifle. A fire arm recoils back into the users shoulder while an air rifle recoils back and then forward. This double recoil destroys firearm scopes that are not air rifle rated.

A fire arm recoils back into the users shoulder while an air rifle recoils back and then forward.

Can you explain this a little more cause I'm a little thick-headed and don't get it.

I'm trying to imagine the recoil spring in an M-16.....

Thanks

Can you explain this a little more cause I'm a little thick-headed and don't get it.

I'm trying to imagine the recoil spring in an M-16.....

Thanks

Actually it's quite simple. The spring is in the air rifle to power the piston that creates the air blast needed to fire the projectile. A powder burner recoils when shot. A spring or gas rammed air rifle recoils twice when shot but each recoil is in an opposite directions . Air rifle rated scopes are specially built for this type of recoil.

I mounted my gamco air rifle scope on my 22lr, not an ar. I did use some leupould<sp rings though. I did mount my 22 pistol scope on my 870 shotgun for slugs. It lasted for 50 shots before a hair broke??

Some air-rifle scopes are tougher than regular ones.

Don't expect much out of a Leapers, though.

Aside from any durability issues, an air rifle scope is likely corrected for parallax at a shorter distance than what you'll typically be shooting an AR at.

Aside from any durability issues, an air rifle scope is likely corrected for parallax at a shorter distance than what you'll typically be shooting an AR at.

Yeah, forgot to mention the parallax thing. Any half serious air rifle user will only buy scopes with adjustable objective lenses that focus from 10 yards or so to infinity whereas a powder burner mostly uses fixed A.O.s.

Back
Top Bottom