Afterkmarket stock for a Yugo SKS?

I'm not trying to be a pain at all, but why are you planning on switching out the
stock? I think that the SKS stock is a pretty good match to the rifle. The
wrist is a little thick for my liking, but it is rugged and the shorter LOP
makes it feel like a handy carbine vs. a large rifle. If this is your first SKS,
clean up the stock, maybe strip and refinish, and then see if you need something
else. You may find that it is perfect (for the SKS) as is.

Being a milsurp collector, especially when it comes to the SKS, I like to keep them as original as possible. But when I found a Nornico that had the bayonet mount ground off and a fair condition stock, not too mention with the sling swivel on the left side right where my cheek goes, I decided to swap it out with one from the site you listed. I chose Choate's Dragunov style stock because I know Choate has an excelent reputation and I'm glad I did because it squeezed out a little more accuracy out of an already very accurate rifle.
Choate has many features that make them better like the removable spacers for length of pull, a removable cheek piece if you want height for a scope, a filler for the gap between the trigger guard and grip, and a shim that fits behind the receiver for a snug fit with no wobble at all. Plus its got heavy duty sling swivels built in.
The Tapco stock you mentioned has a collapsable stock which I think is illegal to have on a rifle here in Mass. And don't forget... there are legal problems that come up when altering a C&R gun, plus theres the whole so many US made parts deal, etc. http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=a85a43f26bf3d58ad9a97bf0478d6f1a&board=12.0 Lots of legal knowledge on that site when it comes to the SKS as well as a good amount of it here if you search.

Heres mine, it still needs work but this is showing how it looks with the stock:

1a425277-1.jpg

BTW, you can find these stocks for about $60 if you do some searching.

I'm not trying to be a pain at all, but why are you planning on switching out the
makes it feel like a handy carbine vs. a large rifle. If this is your first SKS,
clean up the stock, maybe strip and refinish, and then see if you need something

yup!

I was wondering about the legality of the T6 stock, and figured I'd have to research it before I bought it. I do like the looks of that choate stock. Thanks for the link, time to do some research.

I personally think it's ugly, but I will shoot it first and see how I like it. I'm just getting some opinions now. [grin]

Biggest thing about the Tapco stocks is the ability to still keep the bayonet. Almost all the other aftermarket stocks require removal of the bayonet, but most people throw a bipod on the lug anyway.
Whatever you buy for it, make sure its compatible with a Yugo, especially the 59/66 with grenade launcher. Most aftermarklet parts are designed for the standard Russian/Chinese design. The site I linked to has tons of pictures and info of SKS stock replacement projects.
The black sniper types look good, but the wood sure does appeal to me: [grin] http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15424

Biggest thing about the Tapco stocks is the ability to still keep the bayonet. Almost all the other aftermarket stocks require removal of the bayonet, but most people throw a bipod on the lug anyway.
Whatever you buy for it, make sure its compatible with a Yugo, especially the 59/66 with grenade launcher. Most aftermarklet parts are designed for the standard Russian/Chinese design. The site I linked to has tons of pictures and info of SKS stock replacement projects.
The black sniper types look good, but the wood sure does appeal to me: [grin] http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15424

Very nice collection, but I think the Chaote stocked one blows the others away, as far as looks are concerned anyway. Well, thanks to your pictures I'm leaning towards the very same stock, if I decide to do this. Do you know offhand if the choate dragunov stock will fit a 59/66?

Back
Top Bottom