• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

After Shopping Around...Found a 1910 M95 Nagant - Range Report

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
With the Israeli Mauser on the way back, I decided to move on to something else. I'd been wanting a M95 Nagant revolver, but had been holding out for a Czarist one, not a Communist one. I called one vender who had a 1916 piece. They would not ship the pistol to my FFL3 as I was not a 'dealer' - only to a FFL1 or 7, and forget about ammo. As my in town FFL1 was not in their records, I would have to send them their FFL. At this point I said good-bye and hung up. I checked through a couple more dealers and gave the second one a call after having read their terms closely and pre-sending digital copies of my FFL.

Very pleasant lady on the phone. They were advertising 1910-1912 dates. Import mark under the barrel; not Billboard. They let me pick 1910 at no extra charge. I also got 5 boxes of Russian ammo. Stock picture is attached. Price was $45 more ($250), but I got what I wanted and great service. Price was still $40 less than GB.

I can PM info to anyone who is interested.

T

Last edited:
How about we start a pic thread here - The NES M95 Nagant Club (mine ships tomorrow) - how about posting pics of your Nagant revolvers, range reports, issues, tips, history, etc? I think MythBusters did a bit on the revolver - did the unique forward moving cylinder so as to seal the chamber actually increase pressure/fps significantly? The myth was busted - only a tiny fps gain - about 10fps IIRC

T

Last edited:
I kind of got a billboard one. I haven't shot mine for a while, but as I remember, it shot better than I was told it would.

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4060.jpg

I grabbed a pair back when they were still $99 each. Got lucky and received one from each arsenal. I also picked up what is probably a lifetime supply of ammo when it was still cheap.

I take them out once in a while. The kids like to shoot them.

I've wanted one ever since I read about the unique mechanism and now that I've seen this thread, I need to finally get one.

Finally made my leap as well. Just added this 1916 to the collection today. Cylinder turns freely and moves forward for a nice gas seal. Happy that the import mark is extremely faint and on the underside of the barrel.

DSC04000.jpg

I've wanted one ever since I read about the unique mechanism and now that I've seen this thread, I need to finally get one.

What is this unique mechanism?

Are these .38 Special?

They look kind of cool. Are they accurate?

The cartridge is 7.62x38r. The case extends past the 108gr bullet. When the trigger is pulled, the whole cylinder is pushed forward into the base of the barrel and the over-sized case slips into the breech and seals the cylinder into the barrel preventing gas escape that would normally have occurred. Nice idea, but not much of a help.

T

Last edited:
I just got rid of all my nagant ammo, I could have given you such a deal!

I've got 5 boxes coming. I'll play with it for a while and then put it away. I'll get a little more to have a small stash before it to becomes scarce, like everything else.

T

It's here. Picked it up on the way home. A quick few pics; I have to go outside now to clear a foot of snow off the driveway. I actually slid the VW into the garage.

1912, 100% arsenal refinished condition with Bakelite grips. Discreet import mark under barrel. I'll take it apart this weekend and see if the three numbers match. Ammo head stamp is 38 over 88; I assume 1988. Interesting pistol.

Is this a Tula?

T

Last edited:
I asked for the oldest advertised date; 1910-1912. As I got a 1912, I assume they're running out as is everyone of everything!

T

Just ordered another 20 boxes of ammo; that's 350 rounds. Plenty for the odd plinking.

T

Last edited:
I assume you could have it shipped to your LGS-001 and transfer it. Perhaps you could order it and pay for it, telling them you are waiting for your FFL3 to arrive and then ship.

T

I assumed it would be an issue transferring an off list C&R gun to someone not holding a FFL3, so I've been waiting.

3/4 full strip to check inside, courtesy of You Tube and the factory screwdriver. As new condition, cylinder matches, frame panel is a line out. So we have an re-arsenal force match here. Bore is very good, with some scratches.

T

If anyone's still looking for some Nagant revolvers, check out Collectable Arms and Ammo in Merrimack.
I was there today and they had a few 1916's and 1924's for sale.
They looked in very good condition and come with the holster, tool and cleaning rod.
I think they were in the $250-ish range.
I also saw they had some surplus and new ammo for them.

Here is my 1932 not import marked or refinished,I also have a 32ACP cylinder for it.I sold the top one a long time ago.

Attachments

• nagant.jpg
    nagant.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 16
I assume you could have it shipped to your LGS-001 and transfer it. Perhaps you could order it and pay for it, telling them you are waiting for your FFL3 to arrive and then ship.

T

Well, as I posted in the other thread, the CC is offline for a few days. It will have to wait until next week.

Range report. 39 degrees, light rain. Slippery paths in snow. 30 feet with 1988 surplus. 2 boxes, 1 each double and single action. 1st double action shot split the red line at 9:00. Double action got very tiring after awhile. Light recoil; I think a 7.65 has a little more oomph. Awkward to load and eject, but fun to shoot. Pistol functioned flawlessly.

T

Ridiculously quick and easy to clean. The forward moving cylinder keeps the fouling in the barrel. There was nothing to clean within the cylinder or frame; but I did anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom