• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice on some light restoration, Hungarian Mannlicher M1943 Infantry Rifle

This was brought back by my great uncle from WWII, it's recently made it's way to me and i'm looking for some advice on keeping the sling and bayonet scabbard from drying out anymore, and maybe a few other things.

When i researched the rifle to figure out exactly what it was, i learned it had a pretty interesting history...

http://www.hungariae.com/Mann43.htm

In 1943 the success of the G98/40 German contract rifle persuaded the Hungarian Honvedseg to adopt a new rifle along with the 7.92x57mm Mauser cartridge. The 43.M, which had a Mauser-type magazine, was a G98/40 with Hungarian 35.M-style barrel band, nose cap/bayonet lug and sling swivels. The 43M's magazine release had to be operated with a tip of a bullet, while the G98/40 had a thumb-operated button for that purpose. Mannlicher 43.M Assembly Drawing and Parts List

Production data:
1943: 22000 pieces
1944: 54000
1945: 500 or less
1047-48: 15000 post-1945 manufacture is unconfirmed
Total: 91500 manufactured

Production was interrupted several times during the 2nd half of 1944 by the Allied bombers and by the Soviet invasion of Hungary. Half-finished guns and parts and movable machinery were scattered all over the city, setting up a number of gunshops in basements and atticks to finish and assemble as many weapons as possible. Manufacturing continued even after the Red Army surrounded Budapest. Delivery was direct from the assembly line or from the small gunshops to the front until the Soviets took over the weapon factories and gunshops in a street-by-street fight, Heroic street fighting by the Hungarians was continued long after the Red Army declared that Budapest is taken.

this rifle has all number matching serial numbers (so aparently was made before the Allied bombing runs and Soviet invasion) and actually has a lower "A" serial than is even on this list

Prefix - Known or estimated serial number range and Year of Manufacture:
A - 4903 - 22000 1943
A - 22000 - 43270 1944
B - 14641 - 33129 1944
C - ? - 27347 1944-45?
D - ?
E - ?

the stock actually seems to be in better shape than most of the online pictures i've found but any advice on the leather or anything else would be appreciated

thanks!

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

Nice old rifle and definitely one you don't see every day.

You'll want to use Pecard's Antique Leather Dressing on the leather.
http://pecard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Pecard&Category_Code=antique

I use it on all my slings and it works very well.

Some light rubbing with 00 steel wool and Break Free CLP on the metal surfaces will remove any surface rust, bring back the shine to the bluing, and protect it.

If it were mine I'd take the rifle completely apart and give it a real thorough cleaning

http://pecard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Pecard&Category_Code=antique

Some light rubbing with 00 steel wool and Break Free CLP on the metal surfaces will remove any surface rust, bring back the shine to the bluing, and protect it.

If it were mine I'd take the rifle completely apart and give it a real thorough cleaning

The steel wool doesn't hurt the blueing? I thought you had to use bronze wool instead. I would love to be wrong, steel wool is much cheaper than bronze.

The steel wool doesn't hurt the blueing? I thought you had to use bronze wool instead. I would love to be wrong, steel wool is much cheaper than bronze.

I've never had it hurt bluing. I'm sure if you really scrubbed with it you'd probably have some fading, but the only time you really have to use it or even apply pressure using it is to remove surface rust.

I have an 1891 Argentine Mauser that had splotches of rust all over the barrel and on some of the receiver, plus an overall dull look to it. Everything rust/dirt wise came off with a light buff using 00 steel wool and CLP and revealed a deep glossy blue finish.

Thanks for the advice, i'll be sure to pick up some Picards, most of the steel looks pretty good but i may find a few parts to steel wool once i take it apart.

thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom