1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

advice on shoulder harness

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by greeniron, Mar 17, 2019.

1. greeniron

greeniron NES Member

Looking for advice on shoulder rigs. I have a Springfield Armory 1911 A1 with 5" barrel. I shoot right handed but want the holster on the left side for a cross draw application with a double mag holster on right side. But some of the ones I seen online have that setup but the pistol sits grips down. I need a grip up position as the gun is too big for a level set holster and grip end sticks out too far. has to be leather. For twenty years I carried holster on my belt, right side but last night I had a double mag pouch on left and gun on the right as I normally do. And all the weight was too much , had to crank my belt so tight that it was uncomfortable. I have carried 9mm's for 20 years, this is my first 45. I absolutely love the gun but I need a shoulder rig for carrying. Any advice on this is appreciated very much.

2. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

Shoulder holsters are usually described as horizontal (gun barrel is horizontal, pointed behind you) or vertical (gun barrel is vertical, usually pointing down).

I’ve never used one, so I can’t recommend a particular brand.

greeniron likes this.
  3. Tom_NYShooter

Tom_NYShooter

A Triple K shoulder holster is a good option for what you are looking for. There are a few different types depending on specifics you like, but overall they're a good quality holster that will hold up.

4. USS_Silversides

USS_Silversides NES Member

Guy on the left can tell ya.

496E1E46-2C72-4AB7-84B2-058B6F4D61F6.jpeg

Cap'n Mike likes this.
  5. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

I think he wore a Bianchi rig? Or was it a Galco Miami Classic?

6. CrackPot

CrackPot NES Member

I have the galco miami classic ii. Getting tie downs for both sides to link to your belt is also critical in my opinion so that it does not flop about when you "tilt". Works great and is very comfortable. I use it under a sports cost/suit jacket. I usually use a 3" or 4.25" 1911 and not the 5"

Cap'n Mike and Squib308 like this.
  7. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

note the two snaps on the magazine pouches. Large cap and small (14 round 45 or 7)

KA1-VR KOZA
    • KOZA Vertical Shoulder holster Made from Premium Genuine Leather. Hand-made molding for a perfect fit. Double magazine carrier. Can be attached to the belt both from the holster and magazine carrier for a more comfortable pistol carrying experience.
    Price: $139.85 & FREE Shipping

shoulder.jpg

8. fencer

fencer NES Member

I have the same holster for most of my full size guns, and I don't like the tie downs. I was using them and was unhappy with them yanking my belt up when I moved in certain positions. I found a video, produced by Galco, about the proper way to size the holster, and they recommended you cinch the gun and mag pouches waay up, as close to your armpit as you can. No tie downs.
    I found this much more comfortable. It didnt pull at my neck or give me a wedgie. It also keeps the grip just a little closer and makes your draw a little faster. I will try to find the video.
    I carry all my full size 1911's and all my P series Sigs in shoulder rigs. Two holsters work great for 9 guns.

Cap'n Mike likes this.
  9. fencer

fencer NES Member

This is not the video I watched, but a more recent version. Check it out. It will change the way you wear your shoulder rig. Fast forward to about 4:30 and take a look at where the gun sits. The gun does not flop around at all, and at the end of the day, your neck is not aching from being pulled on. It also allows the best range of motion, and I will even wear it doing yard work, on the lawn tractor etc.
    I am a pretty big guy and I can conceal a full size 1911 under a short sleeved button down in hot weather. Just wear it unbuttoned over a t-shirt.

Cap'n Mike likes this.
  10. fencer

fencer NES Member

I like the Miami Classic II rig, and like the mag carrier horizontal as well as the gun, but you might like the Jackass rig or Vertical Holster system. You can also change the mag carrier because the system is modular.
    Optics planet had the best price when I bought my 3 rigs. Just copy the model number of the Galco site and paste it into the OP search box.

Shoulder Holster Systems | Galco Gunleather.

Cap'n Mike likes this.
  11. 45collector

45collector NES Member

This is a 1940's 1911 shoulder holster I found at one of the local gun shops for $10. It was made and patented by W.F. Ohlemeyer, who after making his own holsters, went to work for El Paso Saddlery.

The gun is held muzzle-down while carried, then the thumb strap is released and the gun can either be drawn straight up, or can be tilted forward to draw horizontally. It's really a genius design, and was copied by some other maker once Ohlemeyer's patent expired. No, it's not for sale, sorry. ;)

ohlie.jpg

1911shoulderHolster 003.jpg

12. whalerman69

whalerman69 NES Member