• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Adult 22 rimfire rifle

Dredging this one up from 9 years ago......

I bought another of my "Holy Grail" 22's. The first was the Savage/Anschutz Sporter I picked up a few years ago.

Yesterday, it was this Winchester 490 on the used rack that almost didn't get my attention. I say almost, because they are the smallbore clone the the centerfire Model 100, and I'm not interested in them (the 100's) anymore. As a kid, I WAS very interested in the 100 because one of the older kids at school that i looked up to, had one. Winchester made the 490 for just a few years in the 70's, hoping it would be a popular as the 9422. It wasn't.
Anyways, looking through the gun catalogs as a kid, I always wanted a 490. Never, ever saw one for sale until yesterday.
View attachment 571972View attachment 571973
I got it for what I thought was a really good price : $325. But, it was cheap because of what a previous idiot did to it. I'ts pretty light, so I think we can mill that down and touch it up with some cold blue.
View attachment 571974
But why? Ugh
Nice little rifle.
I had a sears clone back in the early 90s

Last edited:
It's nothing fancy. But my Marlin 25 MN in .22 WMR is crazy accurate. I also have a Winchester 9422 High Grade. But I have no idea how it shoots. It just sits in the safe waiting for my grandson to get old enough to inherit it.

If I were to list what the OP posted and has posted after, it boils down to a classic style, bolt action (specifically stating no semi), mag feed, usable iron sights (meaning along with a scope I assume?), 7 lbs. or there about, waffling between .22WMR, .22LR and .17 HMR.

I would have to go with a CZUSA 457 Premium as a first pick (Jaguar for a longer sight radius, Lux for a bit less money or Scout for a carbine length), acquire the interchangeable barrels for his various flavors and a scope with a bullet drop compensator that has varying turrets available for the specific caliber and/or grain weight (some manufacturers offer them).

dollar 4 dollar you can't beat the CZ. Good cold hammer forged barrel and forged reciever. Usually beachwood stock. Very durable but not as pretty as the walnut. If you want walnut stock than Anschutz is the way to go. But 3-4 times the money. The savage has a nice barrel but loose receiver and throw away bolt. CZ are hard to put your hand on. Check Shooters outpost in Hooksette, NH

Back
Top Bottom