Adult 22 rimfire rifle

I've always wanted a really nice, classic, adult .22 rimfire rifle, for plinking, target shooting, and small game. My top choice would be a WInchester 52 Sporter, but these are in the near $4,000 neighborhood. I've looked at Anchutz and Cooper, both of which are available in .22LR and .22WMR. I'm partial towards WMR.

Anyone have any experience with these, or other high-end .22 sporters?

Thanks,

M

I have an Anschutz and use it during the summer months in preparation for my fall hunting trips. This way my shooting skills stay current, I don't get pounded by large caliber shooting and it is a lot cheaper to shoot .22rimfire than 7MM or 300 WINMAG although the cost these days now is getting closer. About a month befofe my trip I'll switch back to my high-power rifle. Works for me. I have the Anchutz Model 1700 bolt action rimfire.

Winchester had some 52 Sporters made by Miroku in Japan. They are very nice .22 LR's. I think only one run was made of them. It's been a while since they were made.

Winchester had some 52 Sporters made by Miroku in Japan. They are very nice .22 LR's. I think only one run was made of them. It's been a while since they were made.
Yes, I've seen them. They made 6,000 of them, one run. I don't know when they made them, I'm thinking 90's. They look nice. Seem to go in the $800 to $1100 range, and some are never used.

Yes, I've seen them. They made 6,000 of them, one run. I don't know when they made them, I'm thinking 90's. They look nice. Seem to go in the $800 to $1100 range, and some are never used.
I don't recall how many were in that run. Mine is fired, just not a lot.

The CMP usually has some nice target 22's for a good price.
I'm not looking for a target rifle; I have a Win. 52D target rifle. I'm looking for a sporter - traditional, classic field rifle; tapered barrel, around 7 lb. or so, nice walnut stock, useable iron sights plus a scope; repeater with a removable magazine (prob. 5 round; in WMR prob. 4 round).

The CMP usually has some nice target 22's for a good price.

I have one of the Kimbers. Its a very nice rifle, but its not a lot of fun for casual use.

The sights are complex
its a single shot
the bbl is long and heavy
Its REALLY really nice, so I'm constantly worrying about bumping it.

Don

p.s. If you don't want an "adult" 10/22, then the CZ is a very nice choice. I got one for a customer and was really impressed by how substantial it was. As for how it shoots, the internet is full of accounts of its accuracy.

I have one of the Kimbers. Its a very nice rifle, but its not a lot of fun for casual use.

The sights are complex
its a single shot
the bbl is long and heavy
Its REALLY really nice, so I'm constantly worrying about bumping it.

Don

p.s. If you don't want an "adult" 10/22, then the CZ is a very nice choice. I got one for a customer and was really impressed by how substantial it was. As for how it shoots, the internet is full of accounts of its accuracy.
I'm starting to think that in addition to keeping an eye out for a real Winchester 52 Sporter, I should get a CZ. (now prepare for some expert rationalization) My father-in-law, R.I.P, was an expert, Czech machinist (a Slovak, actually, but born in Czechoslovakia), and Lord knows he left me enough machine tooling to make my own bolt action rifle.

I am looking at the CZ website now....

Ha! I have one, a Japanese one made by Miroku for Browning. I'm really looking for a traditional look and feel, American-style bolt action, like the Winchester 52 Sporter. But thanks, the Browning is beautiful.

So, I like the CZs. Anyone know a dealer who has some not too far from the Metrwoest of MA? Anyone know a dealer who can get them?

I'm also re-thinking caliber; .17 HMR, .22LR, .22WMR - so hare to choose!

If you want to save a little money, check out the Savage MKII, heavy barrelled, bolt action, 22LR with the acu-trigger. Most are very accurate right out of the box.

So, I like the CZs. Anyone know a dealer who has some not too far from the Metrwoest of MA? Anyone know a dealer who can get them?

Its not a hard choice at all. For most people a .22 is a gun you can shoot all day for just a few bucks.

For what .17 costs you could almost shoot .223. (this is all based on normal pricing once the world comes to its senses)

If I had a specific need for a .17 or .22 WMR thats one thing. But if I was just building a toy, not a tool, the choice would be obvious - .22 LR

Don

Its not a hard choice at all. For most people a .22 is a gun you can shoot all day for just a few bucks.

For what .17 costs you could almost shoot .223. (this is all based on normal pricing once the world comes to its senses)

If I had a specific need for a .17 or .22 WMR thats one thing. But if I was just building a toy, not a tool, the choice would be obvious - .22 LR

Don

I'm thinking a small game "tool" - rabbit, squirrel, fox, raccoon, coyote, etc. I really don't care about the cost of ammunition, I'm not going to be pounding down rounds at the range.

You might also want to check out the Thompson Center 22 rifles.

I checked Thompsons website and they have discontinued the classic.
It appears they only offer single shot 22's now.

Last edited:
Go savage, their rim fire rifles are among the most accurate for the money. If i had the cake i would be buying a savage model 93 variant with a heavy barrel. a good friend of mine has one in 17hmr and it is an absolute laser, will put a ragged hole into paper @100 yds with a cheap scoope. And I hear the .22's are just the same.

I've used Savage, Anschutz, Winchester, Remington, even a Springfield M22 trainer - they were all tack-drivers. O.K., they were all target rifles, but I think the expectation of .22s these days is certainly sub-MOA. I have accuracy and a good trigger as absolute requirements, but I also hold as very important to me a great looking, classic-styled gun, nice design and workmanship, nothing cheap about it. That's why I cited the Hartford, Connecticut made Winchester 52 Sporter, made 1934 to 1959. But, these go for $4000 or so, and that's a bit much for me right now. I like the looks of the CZ, though I've never seen one in person. I like the looks of the Anschutz 1516 - about $1,200.

I think I mentioned, I have a Winchester 52D, but it's a serious target rifle and way to heavy to lug around in the field. But superbly accurate, with a wonderful trigger.

You can get a CZ 455 combo kit with 22LR and .17 HMR barrels. Tried online shop or gunbroker.com and ship to a local FFL.

Browning T-Bolt is another possibility. I'm not sure if they currently catalog it, mine is from 1967. Some of them (earlier production) have rust below the woodline due to a salt based wood drying process they used on some stocks. If you cant budge the buttplate screws, its probably salt cured. Miroku built them as well. Mine is a nice shooter.

Dredging this one up from 9 years ago......

I bought another of my "Holy Grail" 22's. The first was the Savage/Anschutz Sporter I picked up a few years ago.

Yesterday, it was this Winchester 490 on the used rack that almost didn't get my attention. I say almost, because they are the smallbore clone the the centerfire Model 100, and I'm not interested in them (the 100's) anymore. As a kid, I WAS very interested in the 100 because one of the older kids at school that i looked up to, had one. Winchester made the 490 for just a few years in the 70's, hoping it would be a popular as the 9422. It wasn't.
Anyways, looking through the gun catalogs as a kid, I always wanted a 490. Never, ever saw one for sale until yesterday.
20220202_083804.jpg20220202_083821.jpg
I got it for what I thought was a really good price : $325. But, it was cheap because of what a previous idiot did to it. I'ts pretty light, so I think we can mill that down and touch it up with some cold blue.
20220202_083837.jpg

Back
Top Bottom