Actors who are legally prohibited, but touch guns in movies ...

I watched a so called documentary about the firearm handler who was in charge of Clint Eastwood's S+W model 29 during the Dirty Harry movies and he said they used multiple models, some real and some fake models with welded barrels because the actors didn't like real guns being pointed at them.
Do you like having the business end of a gun pointed at you?

I was at a pistol league match one night and someone from the other team had some real POS .22 that I can't believe the slide didn't detach from the frame and hit him in the face. Yes, It was that bad and the gun was removed from competition that night.
Anyway at the scoring table this POS somehow ended up as a paper weight and every time I looked the barrel seemed to be pointing at various scorers including me. It wasn't until I raised my voice enough to "get this f***ing thing removed from the area" did it finally get put away.

IIRC the club was turned in to the league over it. I do know that their payback to our team was they accused us of cheating when we were home and it cost me a perfect 300 point night. I never stepped foot onto their grounds again.

Sounds like a recipe for a KB!
What's the downside of losing a few liberal elites?
They're real. Saw Mark Wahlberg with a Glock 19. Gen4 9x19 Austria on the slide. Loaded with blanks but very real. The gun that accidentally killed Brandon Lee on the set was a real .44 magnum. There is a company that provides these weapons, along with an armorer and weapons expert, to film producers under contract. Wahlberg went to Front Sight, a firearms training company in Nevada, for training on a real .300 WinMag sniper rifle prior to his role as a sniper in a film. If he is a prohibited person for whatever reason, and some people think he is, then he committed multiple federal and state "felon in possession of a firearm" offenses during the course of his career.
These liberal elites get a pass on almost everything that they do. Not surprising here either.

Lol nobody does a 4473 for a temp rental or loan deal. Ever. The reason it's not enforced is because the ATF just doesn't want to or doesn't care.....

Right! So what's the meaning of the ATF's exception to a NICS check for "Entertainment Firearms Permit"?

Right! So what's the meaning of the ATF's exception to a NICS check for "Entertainment Firearms Permit"?

I'd have to look but I am going to guess it applies in some circumstances where someone might have that permit, but not be an FFL. Some of the gun rental firms work direct with the studios, others might rent props and not be in attendance, which would require a 4473.

Based on this ATF list I',m exempt due to my holding a Utah concealed weapons permit. They don't specify resident or non-resident so I'm good to go, right?

Somehow I don't see my local FFL saying, "ya you got a Utah permit, you don't need to fill out that 4473, have a nice day"

Is there a lawyer out there willing to comment? A Utah permit is easy to get and imagine the fun of no one in MA having to do the NICS check.
ATF has implemented some rulemaking around the "NICS Exempt" permits, applying it only to resident permits, for transactions in the state issuing the permit, and where the state Attorney General has officially petitioned ATF to recognize the permit.

It appears from reading the law and the article I linked that a Massachusetts resident carry license would qualify, but good luck getting the AG to ask ATF.

ATF has implemented some rulemaking around the "NICS Exempt" permits, applying it only to resident permits, for transactions in the state issuing the permit, and where the state Attorney General has officially petitioned ATF to recognize the permit.

It appears from reading the law and the article I linked that a Massachusetts resident carry license would qualify, but good luck getting the AG to ask ATF.
Mass does not qualify for nics bypass because the permit term is too long (must be 5 or less, ma is 6) but it doesn't matter anyways because we will never have an AG that will ever approve the exemption anyway.....

Mass does not qualify for nics bypass because the permit term is too long (must be 5 or less, ma is 6) but it doesn't matter anyways because we will never have an AG that will ever approve the exemption anyway.....
That's the same excuse people are using to say NH doesn't qualify, but I am not buying it. At the ATF url the note says:
1613510922244.png
This suggests permits with longer terms would be acceptable for the first 5 years of their validity, doesn't say permits with an excessively long duration are never valid as NICS exempt.

I am starting to suspect New Hampshire hasn't been added because there's no mechanism to check whether a P&R was revoked, or perhaps solely because our AG never bothered to ask...

This suggests permits with longer terms would be acceptable for the first 5 years of their validity, doesn't say permits with an excessively long duration are never valid as NICS exempt.

Show me a state that is NICS exempt that has a permit that lasts longer than 5 years. I would like to know if it exists. From what I remember, the feds have to
approve this, and although what you are saying is technically correct, I doubt a state AG would want to create that shit show (regardless of their political alignment or how they
feel about guns).

The obvious fix in non shit states is an enhanced permit. I discussed this in another thread. Make an extra tier that has fag requirements with 5 yr term, but you win NICS bypass and
better reciprocity.

I am starting to suspect New Hampshire hasn't been added because there's no mechanism to check whether a P&R was revoked, or perhaps solely because our AG never bothered to ask...

IIRC its because there is a laundry list of fed BS somewhere (either US code, or an ATF ruling) and the NH PRL doesn't even come close to meeting the minimum established by federal law for a NICS bypass. I can't find the cite now, of course. I think it mandates shit like the license must last 5 years, must have a photograph on it, a whole bunch of other things, including some kind of background check interval that is conformal with NICS. The states where "someone gets issued a card, and then nobody gives a shit" licenses don't
comply. I think by that standard MA's doesnt comply, even putting the 5 yr issue aside.

Most of that is actually a good thing, because it means a PRL is less strict than a fed compliant license would be.

The only way NH residents could have their cake and eat it too on a NICS bypass, is if a 2nd license was offered as an enhanced permit which has its own issuance requirements that perfectly dovetail with federal law. IMHO it could have been a viable idea but with the 3 pro gun groups yelling at each other constantly (see also, old man yells at cloud) not sure how a proper solution that does not cause a loss of rights could be properly vetted via the legislative process there.

ETA: paging @Len-2A Training and @Rob Boudrie as I think one of these gentlemen would likely know more about this NICS bypass crap than I would. Institutionally I remember reading it but don't remember the details... because you just don't see it at all in new england.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's the potential penalty, thus our DUI misdefelony in MA

Yes, there are shitloads of post-94 DUI first offense convictions that are lifetime disabled in MA, that never set foot inside a jail other than maybe the trip to the holding cell in a police station when they got arrested for the DUI.

There are a few companies that supply guns to the movie,and TV business.The company shows up everyday with the guns that are going to be used for the day.
I don't know about the main actors, but any extras signs in,and out for any prop that they are going to use for the day.The gun company has people on the set
to keep an eye on the guns,and repair if need be.

Show me a state that is NICS exempt that has a permit that lasts longer than 5 years. I would like to know if it exists. From what I remember, the feds have to
approve this, and although what you are saying is technically correct, I doubt a state AG would want to create that shit show (regardless of their political alignment or how they
feel about guns).

The obvious fix in non shit states is an enhanced permit. I discussed this in another thread. Make an extra tier that has fag requirements with 5 yr term, but you win NICS bypass and
better reciprocity.

IIRC its because there is a laundry list of fed BS somewhere (either US code, or an ATF ruling) and the NH PRL doesn't even come close to meeting the minimum established by federal law for a NICS bypass. I can't find the cite now, of course. I think it mandates shit like the license must last 5 years, must have a photograph on it, a whole bunch of other things, including some kind of background check interval that is conformal with NICS. The states where "someone gets issued a card, and then nobody gives a shit" licenses don't
comply. I think by that standard MA's doesnt comply, even putting the 5 yr issue aside.

Most of that is actually a good thing, because it means a PRL is less strict than a fed compliant license would be.

The only way NH residents could have their cake and eat it too on a NICS bypass, is if a 2nd license was offered as an enhanced permit which has its own issuance requirements that perfectly dovetail with federal law. IMHO it could have been a viable idea but with the 3 pro gun groups yelling at each other constantly (see also, old man yells at cloud) not sure how a proper solution that does not cause a loss of rights could be properly vetted via the legislative process there.

ETA: paging @Len-2A Training and @Rob Boudrie as I think one of these gentlemen would likely know more about this NICS bypass crap than I would. Institutionally I remember reading it but don't remember the details... because you just don't see it at all in new england.
I also read about the NICS bypass way back when . . . but didn't pay much attention since it would never apply to folks in MA. I have never re-visited it for MA or NH. Sorry but I can't help here.

Back
Top Bottom