Acton townwide ban on agenda for May 1 2023

It’s only a good thing if they’re required to keep them on and functional. If they can just turn them off or delete data when it suits them, the cameras become a bludgeon that can be used against the little people but aren’t used to force accountability of the cops. “Selective editing” (camera “failure”) can be used to incriminate the innocent. If you believe “drop guns” are real, but not this, you’re naïve.
Yes. The law should be “footage from a malfunctioning body camera cannot be used as evidence in any legal proceeding.” I’m not holding my breath waiting for that.

Yes. The law should be “footage from a malfunctioning body camera cannot be used as evidence in any legal proceeding.” I’m not holding my breath waiting for that.

And…. “Without camera footage officers’ testimony is inadmissible.”

“Cameras weren’t turned on” is an all too frequent refrain when police misconduct is alleged.

The counter argument is that cameras on all the time would remove any opportunity for discretion. Do we really want to live in a society where cops have to enforce every law? Think: 1mph over, failure to signal, jaywalking, public intoxication, etc. it’d be a police state like Singapore.

I question the need for it in a small town police force.

Maybe they do but what I didn't hear was anything like a cost/benefit analysis, how many
times in the last <N> years would it have been used (made a difference in a case) etc etc.

Body worn cameras are a good thing for both the police and the public.

Even small towns have incidents. Officer Involved Shooting, Thornton | Multimedia | NH Department of Justice

The Thornton incident was one of three back to back justified OISs with the others by NHSP and Meredith PD. Of those three, only tiny part time Thornton PD had the BWC and it well documented the encounters with that individual through the day and the incident leading up to shooting the unarmed individual.

Earlier this year, a Littleton PD officer was accused of inappropriate behavior during a traffic stop. The BWC footage and audio quickly proved that to be unfounded.

ETA: The reports, presentations, and video are good reads if you have the time.

Last edited:

Article 15. Same exact thing they are proposing in Sudbury tomorrow night. Sudbury is article 55 while Acton's is article 15. Sudbury might be voted on tomorrow but Acton will for sure. Call your neighbors and friends. Send a blast email to your range on the off chance other Acton citizens are members too. These things need a 2/3s vote and your vote and your spouse's vote matter.
In Sudbury the article was defeated during last night's town meeting since it was potentially unconstitutional, would be hard to monitor and enforce due to its vagueness, and would in all probability have been litigated in court costing the town substantial legal fees. Luckily several people spoke out about it and ultimately the "Select Board" voted 3 to 2 not to support it. The Town Counsel, Lee S. Smith from KP Law, provided the town with an opinion that the article was likely unconstitutional and would probably be rejected my the Massachusetts Attorney General.

In Sudbury the article was defeated during last night's town meeting since it was potentially unconstitutional, would be hard to monitor and enforce due to its vagueness, and would in all probability have been litigated in court costing the town substantial legal fees. Luckily several people spoke out about it and ultimately the "Select Board" voted 3 to 2 not to support it. The Town Counsel, Lee S. Smith from KP Law, provided the town with an opinion that the article was likely unconstitutional and would probably be rejected my the Massachusetts Attorney General.
Anybody know how things went in Acton?

Sudbury's meeting was relatively conservative compared to the Acton meeting. One gentleman made a valiant effort but was doomed to fail. 1 in 17 people have a class A LTC. They didn't show up. Here's the new rules.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230508_211540_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230508_211540_YouTube.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20230508_211618_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230508_211618_YouTube.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20230508_211727_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230508_211727_YouTube.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20230508_211759_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230508_211759_YouTube.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20230508_211926_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230508_211926_YouTube.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20230508_212039_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230508_212039_YouTube.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 33
Here's where two stores can go. I hope 2 Mill renters go to these sites and set up shop next door. Sublets not allowed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230508_211837_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230508_211837_YouTube.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 20
Sudbury's meeting was relatively conservative compared to the Acton meeting. One gentleman made a valiant effort but was doomed to fail. 1 in 17 people have a class A LTC. They didn't show up. Here's the new rules.

Wow…. Can you imagine the outrage if similar restrictions were made on women’s reproductive health centers?

Here's where two stores can go. I hope 2 Mill renters go to these sites and set up shop next door. Sublets not allowed.

What if a single legal entity had a lot of at-will employees who are paid very low salary but with a very high percentage commission based on what services and goods they sell? Like the employee would keep 99% of the proceeds they bring in.

I bet you could get 80+ employees under a single umbrella FFL if you wanted to.

1. Wait, is there a place in Acton actually named "Powder Mill"? And they want to do what again?
2. They mention buffers from A. Sensitive uses B. Incompatible uses. What are these?

What if a single legal entity had a lot of at-will employees who are paid very low salary but with a very high percentage commission based on what services and goods they sell? Like the employee would keep 99% of the proceeds they bring in.

I bet you could get 80+ employees under a single umbrella FFL if you wanted to.
Liability would be interesting. Not sure I’d want the 1% for the potential trouble that could come with it.

Back
Top Bottom