Action won't close

Horrible

NES Member
I bought a brand new Marlin 795 this afternoon at DSG. Very excited I brought my new purchase home.

I followed the instructions in the owners manual which made it sound like putting the Bold Control Lever in the "Close" position should close the action. This did not happen. I even tried to manually move the bolt while the Bolt Control Lever was in the close position.

Is there a step that I am missing on this or is my new gun defective out of the box?

Thanks

Having just read the manual, if the bolt is locked back (action open, lever on "OPEN"), and you move the lever to "CLOSE", the bolt should come forward.

A few things to check:

-does the action freely cycle? You should be able to pull the charging handle, and let it go. When you do this, the bolt should go forward.

-is the magazine out of the firearm? Marlin autoloaders have bolt hold-open mechanisms, and an empty magazine will prevent the bolt from going forward.

if its anything like that giggily little bolt hold on a 10/22 try pulling back on the bolt while trying the release and holding it then let the bolt go.

I bought a brand new Marlin 795 this afternoon at DSG. Very excited I brought my new purchase home.

I followed the instructions in the owners manual which made it sound like putting the Bold Control Lever in the "Close" position should close the action. This did not happen. I even tried to manually move the bolt while the Bolt Control Lever was in the close position.

Is there a step that I am missing on this or is my new gun defective out of the box?

Thanks

All the 795's I've played with and/or own work fine.

With the rifle level with the ground (as if it were on a benchrest) take the lever on the right side of the gun and depress it with your thumb straight down towards the ground.

If that doesn't work you have a problem and should disassemble it.

The action comes as one big unit so there isn't much you can do but at least you could open it up to take a look. Could be that the bolt handle is getting caught on something.

Having just read the manual, if the bolt is locked back (action open, lever on "OPEN"), and you move the lever to "CLOSE", the bolt should come forward.

A few things to check:

-does the action freely cycle? You should be able to pull the charging handle, and let it go. When you do this, the bolt should go forward.

-is the magazine out of the firearm? Marlin autoloaders have bolt hold-open mechanisms, and an empty magazine will prevent the bolt from going forward.

I tried it with the magazine in and the magazine out. Same result

I may just have to take it apart. It doesn't sound like it is working right.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Update. I was able to get the action to close on my new rifle. Another NES member PMed me his experience with this and the problem was solved by pulling the bolt to the right a bit (with the gun pointing away from you). Apparently this rifle has two bolt slide catches.

Thanks Tank!

Back
Top Bottom