Acquiring old guns from relative

Prepper

NES Member
How can I legally take ownership of a set of really old guns (all rifles and one really crappy-looking revolver) from a relative? These guns have been sitting for over 50 years, completely unused and unregistered. I'm no gunsmith so I have no idea how salvagable these guns are; perhaps some or all of them are only suitable for a Menino "buy back" program. (The revolver is certainly going straight to Mumbles' collection next time he does that... it is literally flaking apart.)

I assume I can't just put cable locks through them and bring them home or to a gunsmith to check out? Do I need to make them "legal" somehow first? Please note that the relative cannot register them himself because he has passed away.

I'm also not sure I want all these guns registered in my name if in the end I conclude they all need to be junked. Although, I may want to keep them for sentimental value anyway. I may move to NH in a couple years; should I try to hold out until I move there so that registering them is not an issue?

What'd be the best way to proceed?

(I tried searching but didn't have any luck.)

How can I legally take ownership of a set of really old guns (all rifles and one really crappy-looking revolver) from a relative? These guns have been sitting for over 50 years, completely unused and unregistered. I'm no gunsmith so I have no idea how salvagable these guns are; perhaps some or all of them are only suitable for a Menino "buy back" program. (The revolver is certainly going straight to Mumbles' collection next time he does that... it is literally flaking apart.)

I assume I can't just put cable locks through them and bring them home or to a gunsmith to check out? Do I need to make them "legal" somehow first? Please note that the relative cannot register them himself because he has passed away.

I'm also not sure I want all these guns registered in my name if in the end I conclude they all need to be junked. Although, I may want to keep them for sentimental value anyway. I may move to NH in a couple years; should I try to hold out until I move there so that registering them is not an issue?

What'd be the best way to proceed?

(I tried searching but didn't have any luck.)

just my .02

MessIchooseIt Laws
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopstop...istration+&+Laws&L2=Firearms+Support+Services

Not enough info:

- What state are they in now?
- Were they willed to you or did the executor grant them to you?

Do an Advanced Search of MA Gun Law Forum for "inheritance" and that might answer some questions.

In any case, yes you would have to register each of them with an FA-10. However the transactions might have to go thru an FFL (only inheritance avoids FFL). FFLs can't transfer handguns that aren't on the EOPS List (99.999999% of old guns aren't on that List) to a MA Resident, so if it is out of state you'd be out of luck except under inheritance.

Not enough info:

- What state are they in now?
- Were they willed to you or did the executor grant them to you?

Do an Advanced Search of MA Gun Law Forum for "inheritance" and that might answer some questions.

In any case, yes you would have to register each of them with an FA-10. However the transactions might have to go thru an FFL (only inheritance avoids FFL). FFLs can't transfer handguns that aren't on the EOPS List (99.999999% of old guns aren't on that List) to a MA Resident, so if it is out of state you'd be out of luck except under inheritance.

If the guns are that old, would his getting a C&R help?

If the guns are that old, would his getting a C&R help?

How can I legally take ownership of a set of really old guns (all rifles and one really crappy-looking revolver) from a relative? These guns have been sitting for over 50 years, completely unused and unregistered.
DING! I think we have a winner here, folks - nice pickup, Dixidawg! I read that but didn't make the connection. If it's 50 years old (assuming that none of them are NFA), they're automatically C&R.

I'd say that Prepper should be reading the thread on Every Shooter Needs a C&R FFL right about now... and applying ASAP.

They are in-state. Inheritance would be the way I'm getting them. He owned them for over 50 years but they are actually over 75 years old.

I'm not familiar yet with this C&R thing although I've seen people mention it before.

OK, I just read a detailed web site about C&R. I'm not sure if all the guns will be covered by the C&R; it may be challenging to figure this out, especially since these guns are really old and I'm not at all familiar with such models of guns.

Also, the web site didn't explain how I'd actually acquire the guns without buying them. The source of them is not another C&R holder. The web site I read just talked about buying and selling them from other collectors. What's the legal trick that lets me go get them and bring them home?

Do some reading as Ross suggested. Pay the $30, wait from 2-4 weeks and you can legally transfer them to yourself on the C&R, avoid all FFL issues and do as you please with them.

I missed the C&R possibilities too . . . thanks dixidawg.

If >50 yrs old they don't have to be on any list to be C&R, they just ARE C&R by definition.

A C&R FFL can obtain/buy/accept a C&R qualified gun from ANYONE in ANY state! Do the reading on the bound book, etc. Then you do an FA-10 as Registration with the state.

Call BATFE office nearest you (Boston, Springfield, etc.) and get the forms and make the process work for you.

Thanks, that sounds good! I'll proceed with that C&R (it doesn't sound too difficult to get).

And this isn't exactly a legal issue, but what's the best way of evaluating the guns? I'm not sure I'd want to just clean/oil them, chamber a round, pull trigger and see what happens. I should probably bring them to someone (likely for a fee)? Would the nice folks at Four Seasons be able to inspect old guns? I am SO totally clueless when it comes to those guns... I've never used any of the types of actions that those guns have.

You'd want to bring them to a gunsmith who can do such an evaluation. You might want ot start a separate thread asking if anyone knows a smith who'd do it.

Personally, I'd contact Greg Derr on this board (that's his user name, too) or Mike Larocca in Worcester. While I don't know if they do that, if they don't, they'd likely be able to steer you towards someone who can.

Man, I really envy you... you're going to be able to get those guns that were (and now will stay) in your family. I'm going to have to jump through some hoops to get a couple of guns that belonged to a friend who died without a will. Enjoy them and treat them well, even if they wind up being wall-hangers. They're still family history.

Back
Top Bottom