AAA Police Supply-Dedham, MA

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
There had been some "talk" about AAA Police Supply in Dedham, MA regarding selling PD "turn ins", so I paid a visit last week and here's the straight scoop.

From a pleasant discussion with the folks at AAA (they've known me for years and I've bought a lot of LE gear from them when I was with the PD).

They have totally stopped selling guns!! The reason is that the PDs are ordering most of their guns direct from the mfr or distributors, cutting out the dealers in MA plus the law that prohibits the dealers from selling handguns that aren't on the List (AG Regs are waived for LE guns).

They now only sell ammo, uniforms and LE supplies. They still do maintain their FFL, but no gun sales to LE or general public.

Too bad (for us). They've got their FFL now, but if they've stopped selling they won't have it when the go up for renewal.

Ken

Realize that the 1998 law actually prohibits MA Dealers (ONLY) from selling non-approved (EOPS) handguns to LE agencies. This cut a lot of their gun business.

Furthermore, the mfrs did what the companies in the computer biz are currently doing and cutting out the middleman. They bid directly (in competition with their dealers) for the LE agency biz, can afford to lower the prices cheaper than a dealer's cost and this also BYPASSES the MA 1998 law on which guns can be sold to LE agencies.

AAA won't lose their FFL for the following reasons:

- They have a real store and real business in LE supplies.
- They still sell ammo and ship cases of ammo direct to the PDs.

They were never in my recollection (and I remember being in the store once with my late Father, who sold them glass supplies for their boat business, back in the late 1950s or early 1960s) did they cater to the non-LE gun buying crowd. The are also a boat dealer and at one time (back in '50s and '60s) had large boats hanging from the ceiling and a reloading bench on the back wall.

For the past ~30 years the front 2/3 of the store has been/is strictly LE clothing. The back 1/3 of the store are LE holsters, "tools of the trade", badges, and some ammo behind the counter. The boat biz moved to the building next door and the yard between the two buildings.

LenS said:
Realize that the 1998 law actually prohibits MA Dealers (ONLY) from selling non-approved (EOPS) handguns to LE agencies. This cut a lot of their gun business.

Furthermore, the mfrs did what the companies in the computer biz are currently doing and cutting out the middleman. They bid directly (in competition with their dealers) for the LE agency biz, can afford to lower the prices cheaper than a dealer's cost and this also BYPASSES the MA 1998 law on which guns can be sold to LE agencies.

AAA won't lose their FFL for the following reasons:

- They have a real store and real business in LE supplies.
- They still sell ammo and ship cases of ammo direct to the PDs.

They were never in my recollection (and I remember being in the store once with my late Father, who sold them glass supplies for their boat business, back in the late 1950s or early 1960s) did they cater to the non-LE gun buying crowd. The are also a boat dealer and at one time (back in '50s and '60s) had large boats hanging from the ceiling and a reloading bench on the back wall.

For the past ~30 years the front 2/3 of the store has been/is strictly LE clothing. The back 1/3 of the store are LE holsters, "tools of the trade", badges, and some ammo behind the counter. The boat biz moved to the building next door and the yard between the two buildings.

I bought a S&W model 28 they talked me into instead of what I wanted. a
Super Blackhawk or Blackhawk in .44 Mag in 19.... never mind. One of the
dumbest things I ever did. I don't blame them as they wanted a sale and
there wasn't much else to choose from and I was dumb enough to go along
with it. They never had a selection worth a damn and, as you say, it was all
about LE and boats. We ain't missing anything by them not selling firearms. I
would rate the former CCG owners higher for selection than AAA. Not for
attitude as AAA guys are pretty nice and the former CCG people.. well never
mind..

TBP

Ed, you planted the bug in my ear to stop by there. I usually only go to AAA when I need some police supplies. Nothing much there interests me either.

Glad to help.

C-pher,

Yes that's the one.

CX, At that point, it's "just a roadway". It used to be US-1 before the rocket scientists at the State House renamed Rte. 128 to Rte. 1 starting at that junction. 1-A is parallel to where AAA is located and the short road that takes you to it is just at the traffic light by the cinemas.

Back
Top Bottom