• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A Veteran's Tale

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Shamelessly stolen from www.rwva.org

A VETERAN’S TALE.

As soon as I was assigned, I was paired up with Tommy. We went through basic together. He was just a little guy, and being the size I am, I probably scared him a little. He’d heard somewhere that I was pretty tough in a scrap, and he was a little cautious when we first met. But we soon became good buddies out on the ranges. He was a farm kid from Iowa, and he’d always had use of a rifle from the time he was old enough for the responsibility, so we got on really well after I’d shown him a few things. I was really proud of him when he scored Sharpshooter at Qualifications.

It wasn’t long before we were shipped to England. We went into a tent camp, and we were always getting wet. Tommy was the kind of kid to always look after his buddies, so there he’d be, making sure I was dried off and settled before ever he looked after himself. We knew we could count on each other when the going got tough, as it was sure to do.

Next thing I knew, there we were in a landing craft, headed in to Omaha Beach. There was a lot of noise, and the spray was coming in over the side from nearby shell bursts. We jarred onto the beach, the ramp went down, and we lit out running. Suddenly, there was a big bang, and we were thrown in the air. We hit hard. I was lying in a puddle of seawater, wet again, and I couldn’t move. My pal Tommy was dead, just like that. Later on, somebody picked me up and took me back to where I could get some first aid and tender care for a few days. Then I was teamed up with Georgie Boy.

His name really was Aloysius, but he was from Georgia, so everybody called him Georgie Boy. He didn’t seem to mind at all. Georgie didn’t take care of me the way Tommy had, but we each did our job and we got along OK. Georgie was killed by a sniper in a little French village. When he was shot I hit the ground a little too hard, so it was off to the rear again for a few days to recover and be re-assigned.

Two days passed, and I was paired up with a lanky fella from Texas. We were a real team. If there was a job that needed real marksmen, Tex and I got the call. Many’s the time we had to hunker under cover until we got an opportunity to go to work, but eventually we’d get the job done and the unit could move on. One day Tex and I got picked for point duty. Tex stepped on a shuh mine and lost a leg. I caught a little shrapnel, so it was back to the rear for patchup, again, and a new partner, again.

Bill and I were together for quite a long time, months, it was. We just kept slogging along, doing our job. It looked like the war was about over, which was good because our unit was away below strength. We finally got to rest in a place they called The Ardennes. Just as I was getting used to being cold (and wet) all day, the krauts hit us with everything they had in what became the Battle of the Bulge. Bill got wounded real bad, and I was unable to move, again. So Bill shoved me under some brush and surrendered. I heard the krauts talking about sending his batch of prisoners to a place called Malmedy. I never did see Bill again.

A Belgian farmer out looking for firewood found me and took me home. He just couldn’t figure out what I really needed, and I sure wanted to get back to my outfit. He hailed a passing jeep, and I got yet another ride to the rear. After suitable time getting my little hurts attended to, I was sent to the repple depple and assigned to yet another partner, Jim.

We made it all the way into Germany together, and were together on the troopship home. Before we got our discharge, we all got shined up pretty for the big ticker-tape parade down some big street in New York City. Boy, we sure looked good! Jim went home to his wife and kids, but I stayed in the service. It was my life.

A few years went sleepily by when all of a sudden I was yanked out of my peacetime assignment and sent to Japan. There, I partnered up with another young guy just out of basic and sent to a real cold place called Korea. An old vet like me, I got so cold and stiff I could hardly do my job! But, I DID do it, and Frank, the young partner I had, quickly learned to rely on this old vet when the chips were down, yes, sir! We were only there a year, and when we got back to the States I swore my days of running up and down freezing hills were over. I just wanted a peaceful retirement. So the service found me a nice place to rest awhile, with regular checkups to make sure I was still fit enough for service if they needed me.

Well, youngster, I’m still here! Ready, willing and able! I know, I know, my military career wasn’t that spectacular, I just did my job. You might say those fellas I served with actually carried me through all those actions. They did the dying, and they got the medals: I didn’t even get a Purple Heart! But if you want to try to live up to the standards of patriotism they sacrificed themselves for, I’ll partner with you. Of course, to meet me and get to know me better, you’d better join the RWVA. Then you can send for me. I’m presently with the CMP.

Oh, who am I? Why, boy, I’m the Yankee from Springfield, the M1 Rifle, and proud of it! And, while I have your attention... do I hear a drum somewhere?

Can't have mine either. Mine's a WW2 Vet, started out in New Haven, CT in Aug 1943. It went directly overseas.

RWVA's Forum is a nice place. I'm a member of that forum.

If you want an M1, let me know, I'll help you get one. I've been through the CMP process, and I can tell you it's not hard. An M1 will cost you between $395 and $550. Shipping is $22.95.

Nickle said:
Can't have mine either. Mine's a WW2 Vet, started out in New Haven, CT in Aug 1943. It went directly overseas.

RWVA's Forum is a nice place. I'm a member of that forum.

If you want an M1, let me know, I'll help you get one. I've been through the CMP process, and I can tell you it's not hard. An M1 will cost you between $395 and $550. Shipping is $22.95.

Im intrested in buying one!!! what is the CMP process

Nickle said:
Can't have mine either. Mine's a WW2 Vet, started out in New Haven, CT in Aug 1943. It went directly overseas..

Mine (Betsy) was made in 1953 according to Scrivener. Is there any way to find out more detail on what she's done for the last 50+ years? Like if she saw action in Korea, for example?

Ross

dwarven1 said:
Mine (Betsy) was made in 1953 according to Scrivener. Is there any way to find out more detail on what she's done for the last 50+ years? Like if she saw action in Korea, for example?

Ross

Ross, about 100% chance your gun did NOT go to Korea in time to be used in the Korean War. Most, if not all the guns used then were WW2 Vintage. I'll try to have my 2 Garand Books available for you to check out this weekend.

Nickle said:
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104502

I started a thread on the process. It's fairly easy, far easier than it sounds. I have to give exactly one piece of documentation. A Photocopy of my military ID Card.

Thanks I would like to try to get one. I just spent $450 on a lever action .22 so I need to wait a few months or my spouse will do something very emotionally painful to me.

When I sent to CMP for my Springfield service grade, I asked them for a pre DDay dated one. My Dad was there and it would be nice to think that maybe he carried it...unlikely but possible. It is likely that it saw action in the war, though.

The one they sent me was made in April 44, so I got what I wanted. This one is not a Greek or Dane return. It's a real shooter, and a good looker, although I like shooting the carbine (private purchase) better. I got the like new bayonet a year or so later.

2m1s.jpg

Hey Pilgrim, after I got my H&R I ordered a Springfield and asked for something WWII dated. Mine is April '44 too. Ser 2810XXX

I squeaked in just before a CMP price increase in 2000, both Springfields.

USGI made Oct '43, S/N 205xxxx
Danish Lend-Lease made Nov '42, S/N 964xxx

I didn't make any special requests.

OK, so when I put in the serial number, here's what I get:
5401364 - NM - 102782 - 24046 WEAN GC -
5402547 - NM - 102782 - 24012 PICKAWAY COUNTY F&S ASSN -
5403502 - NM - 102782 - 36004 STARCLAIRE GC -

The serial number is a few hundred off of the middle number.

The site says this about the info returned: (serial number - model [see codes below] - date [mmddyy] - usage [see usage codes]) (model code NM= M1 Nat. Match)

So... does this mean that I have a National Match barrel on my M1? (and is that particularly rare, if so?)

What does the 102782 mean? October 27th, 1982? and what's the significance? The date it was turned over to CMP? and what's with the club names - is that where the gun was shipped or the name of the place that the new owner got his CMP certificate?

Last edited:
I've only ordered once from CMP and that was an 03A3 last year and i'm glad I did as theres no more being sold. I didn't make any special requests either, mainly becaise I didn't know what to ask for. I might have even gotten a runt or return because the rear sight wobbled in the base. I had to peen the pins over with a center punch to tighten the sight down. Its Greek blued instead of the greenish/grey parked finish but it shoots great at 100 yards and everything on it matches. Great bore and definitely the slickest and easiest to move bolt on any of my rifles.
I'll get a Garand from CMP soon if I don't find my elusive SVT40. Of course once I plunk down $550 for a Garand from them, someone will walk up to my front door with a mint SVT40 for sale asking $550 for it. [rolleyes]

dwarven1 said:
So... does this mean that I have a National Match barrel on my M1? (and is that particularly rare, if so?)

Since you're bringing it up, I'll check it for you. Almost all NM M1's were rebuilds. If it is an NM, you've got a nice sweet shooter.

dwarven1 said:
What does the 102782 mean? October 27th, 1982? and what's the significance? The date it was turned over to CMP? and what's with the club names - is that where the gun was shipped or the name of the place that the new owner got his CMP certificate?

CMP used to give guns to clubs. The date info is essentially correct, and that's the date it was shipped to said club.

Remember, CMP used to be DCM, and it was a US Army program. The DCM himself was always a Senior Army Officer.

dwarven1 said:
OK, so when I put in the serial number, here's what I get:
5401364 - NM - 102782 - 24046 WEAN GC -
5402547 - NM - 102782 - 24012 PICKAWAY COUNTY F&S ASSN -
5403502 - NM - 102782 - 36004 STARCLAIRE GC -

The serial number is a few hundred off of the middle number.

The site says this about the info returned: (serial number - model [see codes below] - date [mmddyy] - usage [see usage codes]) (model code NM= M1 Nat. Match)

The numbers returned are direct hits on specific rifles. Your number not being there means they do not have a record of it. If you have a NM barrel, it should be so marked "NM".

JonJ said:
The numbers returned are direct hits on specific rifles. Your number not being there means they do not have a record of it. If you have a NM barrel, it should be so marked "NM".
Where would the "NM" be on the barrel?

There should be a marking on the right side under the wood. The mark will indicate the manufacturer, date of man. and if a National Match, NM stamp.

JonJ said:
There should be a marking on the right side under the wood. The mark will indicate the manufacturer, date of man. and if a National Match, NM stamp.
Nope, no NM. [sad]

Z 9 C
F6528xxI (or that last digit could be a one, but it looks like an I to me.)

If I retract the bolt, I see: SA F65354xx, something that looks like a P rotated 90 degrees to the left, 8 59, and some other marks stamped into it that I can't figure out what they are.

Ross

Hm... Interesting. Wonder why the barrel was replaced in '59? I wouldn't have thought it'd seen much action being built in '53.

As I am not yet a citizen and I keep hearing rumors of them running out I think I may just have to get my wife to order one for us to share.

I ran into an old family friend of my wifes. He had an add for stuff for sale and it turned out his daughter grew up with my wife and he knows my wife too, small world. He told me his D Day story about hitting the beaches on Normandy that day. And he wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the southern boys who were good shots. He said he seen a lot of northern boys who grew up in the cities who could shoot accurately get killed that day. He said they must have been shooting in the sky. He told me when they were pinned down the southern boys kept there cool and fought and kept fighting till they captured and secured the beaches that day. He also said a lot of our boys died on that day too as he began weeping. He also said he was very lucky to have made it thru that and to be here today. He said they killed a lot of Germans on that day too.

I guess were all grateful about that day that none of them gave up and while some paid the ultimate price for our freedom some fought on to end the war. And to this day our freedom is worth fighting for and we must remember the ones who paid the ultimate price for ourt freedom that we enjoy today and Godbless them and bring our troops home safe too.

If you meet a vet thank him for he served to preserve our freedom. Its too bad that some of the rest of the world doesn't have a clue what freedom is all about and they never will. There hasn't been peace in the middle east for over 1,000 years and i don't think there will ever be peace there.

Last edited:
dwarven1 said:

No; July or August of 1954 according to (IIRC) the barrel date (misleading) what I thought I calculated using the information here:

http://www.nps.gov/spar/pphtml/documents.html

However, trying to average monthly production suggests that, assuming equal production each month, YOUR gun was made in February, 1955; my Correct Grade was made about 8 months earlier; June of 2004. This means NEITHER went to Korea, unless with the security forces sent later. They may have gone to Nicaragua or some other "police actions," perhaps.

I'd love to know what my '03, made in 1906, did before its WW II refit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom