A two part question on powder…..

ChemLabboy.jpg

1.) How long is a powder (newer smokeless) viable when not in use for an extended period of time?

2.) Does the powder become less able to function in its normal mode or would it possibly become more potent?

Has anyone used a crony on older, partially used, powder in hand-loads to investigate just how long it takes before it changes to where it just should not be used any longer? I know there are many variables but if the powder was tightly sealed in its original container and stored away, just when does it start to detrimentally start to deteriorate to the point of not being useful?

I know, I know…when in doubt, chuck it out! I will probably do just that but I would love to find out “JUST HOW LONG” these newer powders last. I have heard that black powder gets more volatile the older it gets but the newer propellants might be different.

ChemLabboy.jpg

1.) How long is a powder (newer smokeless) viable when not in use for an extended period of time?

2.) Does the powder become less able to function in its normal mode or would it possibly become more potent?

Has anyone used a crony on older, partially used, powder in hand-loads to investigate just how long it takes before it changes to where it just should not be used any longer? I know there are many variables but if the powder was tightly sealed in its original container and stored away, just when does it start to detrimentally start to deteriorate to the point of not being useful?

I know, I know…when in doubt, chuck it out! I will probably do just that but I would love to find out “JUST HOW LONG” these newer powders last. I have heard that black powder gets more volatile the older it gets but the newer propellants might be different.

What is an "extended period of time"? If it is less than a few years I think
it would be fine. You can email the powder manufacturer and give him the
age of it and the conditions that it has been stored at and they will give you
their opinion. If it is a small amount, pitch it. A 1 lb container of 231 is less
than $20 anywhere.

I read someplace that the nitro in the new powders will start to leach out if it's not stored right or left to air out. So an old powder would not have the power of a new and could cause trouble. Chuck it.

If stored properly - tightly sealed, cool, dry, etc. - smokeless powder lasts a long, long time. I got a good deal on many pounds of Red Dot over 20 years ago and I'm still using up the last of it with no problems. I happened to notice recently that I'm still within the expiration date stamped on the top of the last keg, which I'm sure is conservative anyway.

Dick,
If stored properly - tightly sealed, cool, dry, etc. - smokeless powder lasts a long, long time. I got a good deal on many pounds of Red Dot over 20 years ago and I'm still using up the last of it with no problems. I happened to notice recently that I'm still within the expiration date stamped on the top of the last keg, which I'm sure is conservative anyway.

True. The key is stored properly.

WHEN IN DOUBT, CHUCK IT OUT!

I agree with the consensus of opinions here, chuck the powder and be safe. I have a vision of loading up a supply of ammo (with the opened powder) and have one of the first rounds fired getting lodged in the barrel! That would mean knocking that slug out of the barrel and then taking apart all the other ammo to try to save most of the components…not a pretty vision to say the least.

I don’t have that much powder anyhow so I’m chucking the two cans that were partially used and keeping the one container that never has been opened.

True. The key is stored properly.

Well even the can of unopened powder has not been stored in a “proper” atmosphere. The shop I reloaded in was just about the same as the conditions outside…hot & humid or cold and dry, damp, whatever. Now I’ll be reloading in a more controlled atmosphere and I’m going to try to use the unopened powder (only twenty to thirty rounds the first time) to see if it is decent.

On another note, perhaps it’s high time I broke down and purchased the very decent but rudimentary chony Midway has on sale now and do some experimenting on the old used powder before I chuck it out. It would probably help with my reloading for the most accurate mix of my reloads anyway and for cheap buck$ too. It’s time to ponder such an outlay of ca$h over a nice hot cut-a-joe!
[coffee]

Chrony4.jpg

Shooting Chrony F1 Chronograph
Product #: 531741
Our Price: $69.99 Sale!
Compare at: $79.99 You save $10.00!
Average Customer Rating 4.5 stars

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=531741

The F1 Chronograph measures the speed of bullets and other projectiles from 30 to 7000 fps. It can be mounted on a tripod or placed on a table and runs on one 9 volt battery (not included) for up to 48 hours of continuous use. The F1 Chronograph features a large display that shows numbered shot velocities. Includes a jack for use with an optional Chrony Ballistic Printer (sold separately). Covered under a 3 year limited factory warranty. It folds up nicely into a small box also.

I have around 8 lbs. left from a 100lb. keg of H4831 that I bought back in 1963 for $50.00. Yes before the gun laws of 68, you could do that! It is still glossy & black. Keep it cool & dry & it lasts forever. If it look's rust & has an acrid odor, either burn it or sprinkle it around shrubs, it is nitrogen.

Back
Top Bottom