• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A Socially Conscious but Politically Incorrect Company

SFC13557

NES Member

Black Rifle Coffee seeks to help veterans, but finance and law firms deemed it a ‘reputational risk.’​

From Today's WSJ.

No one from a top law school who would work for a firm that represented a company with the word "Rifle" in it's name? HA!HA!

"You might call Black Rifle Coffee Co. a socially conscious enterprise. “This is a veterans’ corporation,” founder and CEO Evan Hafer, a former Green Beret, says in a Zoom interview. More than half of Black Rifle’s employees have served in the military or are family of veterans. In 2021 the company put $5.3 million in shares toward starting the BRCC Fund, a charity dedicated to helping wounded or traumatized veterans and their families. That was on top of $1.2 million in charitable contributions and $3 million worth of coffee and related products to active-duty military and first responders.

But Mr. Hafer says Black Rifle struggled to find banks and law firms to help it arrange an initial public offering. Since he founded the company in 2014, companies have told him that it was “too irreverent” and poses “reputational risk.”

You can see why Black Rifle wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea. Its blends include AK-47 and Silencer Smooth, and its social media presence is colorful, to say the least. The company’s YouTube channel features a shooting contest that ends with Mr. Hafer trying to get a bull’s-eye after taking a direct shot of bear spray to the eyes and a video titled “Could You Be a Pregnant Man?” Mr. Hafer’s personal politics have also drawn outrage from the media—he voted for Donald Trump twice—as has the company’s popularity with some controversial figures on the right. Kyle Rittenhouse was photographed wearing a Black Rifle T-shirt. But none of this seems to have hurt the company’s revenue, which reached $233.1 million last year.

Mr. Hafer thinks the numbers should be evidence enough that Black Rifle’s reputation isn’t a material risk. But his company “started hitting a lot of resistance” from high-level finance companies and law firms, although they claimed they were interested in working with veteran-run corporations.

In 2019 and 2020, a Black Rifle spokeswoman says, company leaders were talking to Chase, Bank of America and Macquarie Group about raising capital. After initially showing interest, all three companies declined to work with Black Rifle, citing the company’s image. In 2018 Black Rifle had tried to open an account at a Chase branch in San Antonio and had been turned away over reputational concerns. The spokeswoman says that Macquarie was particularly fixated on the name of its in-house magazine, Coffee or Die, which covers military issues and won the Military Reporters & Editors Association’s 2022 journalism contest for overseas coverage.

Bank of America and Chase declined to comment. Macquarie said in an email: “We take into account a broad range of factors in making financing and investment decisions. We do not comment on confidential commercially sensitive discussions, including those that did not move beyond a very preliminary stage like this one.”

Black Rifle hit similar roadblocks in 2019 and 2020 with Skadden Arps, Latham & Watkins and Simpson Thacher & Bartlett. All three law firms passed on working with the coffee company because of its image. According to the Black Rifle spokeswoman, Latham & Watkins said that its reputational risk committee thought no one from top law schools would be willing to work at the firm if it took on Black Rifle as a client, especially because its name included the word “rifle.” The name “is an homage to the service rifle,” Mr. Hafer says. Like the guns he taught special-operations soldiers to shoot, he says, coffee is “lifesaving equipment.”

Simpson Thacher declined to comment. Skadden Arps and Latham & Watkins didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Despite these obstacles, Black Rifle is thriving. The company went public in February through a special-purpose acquisition merger with SilverBox Engaged Merger Corp and this summer rolled out marketing partnerships with the Dallas Cowboys and Amazon Prime Video.

Yet Mr. Hafer worries what the seemingly arbitrary treatment he experienced will mean for other veterans. “I think it’s going to be really important for those guys—men and women both—to understand, these are the types of doors that are going to be slammed in your face if you’re not conforming to a very specific narrative,” he says. “I don’t want them to go through some of the same issues that we’ve had to go through to get access to capital.”

Ms. Keller is an assistant editorial features editor at the Journal.

“According to the Black Rifle spokeswoman, Latham & Watkins said that its reputational risk committee thought no one from top law schools would be willing to work at the firm if it took on Black Rifle as a client, especially because its name included the word “rifle.” The name “is an homage to the service rifle,” Mr. Hafer says. Like the guns he taught special-operations soldiers to shoot, he says, coffee is “lifesaving equipment.”

If I were a major client of Latham I would immmediately question what type of f*cking morons they are hiring. They don’t want to work for a law firm because one of their clients has the word “rifle” in their name? These law firms are overrun by the alphabet crowd. We’ll see how profitable these firms remain by only working for “woke” causes.

What Dems did the company donate to?
Not sure. They have I believe donated to at least 1 (D) for God knows why, and that donation was also in between several other (R) donations. Well, since Crenshaw is a piece of shit I guess we can add him to the (D)'s. What's the difference?

Anyway, the problem with BRCC (well, the problem before the legal problems they are diving into), is the CEO is a narcissist and sociopath of the highest order. He has a LOT of opinions and a LOT of those opinions are 100% retarded. This has put him in the entertaining position of being hated by people on both the left and the right. The Left hates him because they think he's some MAGA whackjob and the Right hates him because he has no shortage of unfortunate hot takes on things conservatives usually agree on. If the CEO could just keep his big, dumb mouth shut he'd be in a significantly better position.

But, he can't. His Reddit AMA essentially imploded on itself and is heavily deleted/modified by himself. Then that AMA spilled over to /r/army and it wasn't going much better for our CEO there either. He just cant shut the f*** up and it alienates all sorts of people.

Last edited:
Not sure. They have I believe donated to at least 1 (D) for God knows why, and that donation was also in between several other (R) donations. Well, since Crenshaw is a piece of shit I guess we can add him to the (D)'s. What's the difference?

Anyway, the problem with BRCC (well, the problem before the legal problems they are diving into), is the CEO is a narcists and sociopath of the highest order. He has a LOT of opinions and a LOT of those opinions are 100% retarded. This has put him in the entertaining position of being hated by people on both the left and the right. The Left hates him because they think he's some MAGA whackjob and the Right hates him because he has no shortage of unfortunate hot takes on things conservatives usually agree on. If the CEO could just keep his big, dumb mouth shut he'd be in a significantly better position.

But, he can't. His Reddit AMA essentially imploded on itself and is heavily deleted/modified by himself. Then that AMA spilled over to /r/army and it wasn't going much better for our CEO there either. He just cant shut the f*** up and it alienates all sorts of people.
Owners a DB. Gave money to Dems. I remember Kelsea Gabbard was one for sure and others. And threw Rittenhouse under the bus. Fu€k them.

Owners a DB. Gave money to Dems. I remember Kelsea Gabbard was one for sure and others. And threw Rittenhouse under the bus. Fu€k them.
But the anti-gun crowd hates them even if the owners are DB,s and can't STFU. Just the picture and Name "Black Rifle" is enough to make their heads explode so I hope they survive. I bought a LB. of their coffee once at Cabela's, it was OK but overpriced.

Anyway, the problem with BRCC (well, the problem before the legal problems they are diving into), is the CEO is a narcissist and sociopath of the highest order. He has a LOT of opinions and a LOT of those opinions are 100% retarded. This has put him in the entertaining position of being hated by people on both the left and the right. The Left hates him because they think he's some MAGA whackjob and the Right hates him because he has no shortage of unfortunate hot takes on things conservatives usually agree on. If the CEO could just keep his big, dumb mouth shut he'd be in a significantly better position.

BRCC also did their own customers dirty when they made fun of the people who buy their products. That was a huge mistake. Trust is very difficult to earn but easily broken.

My wife purchases there coffee all the time and loves it I don't drink coffee only tea so I really don't have a dog in this hunt but we do have at least 3 Black Rifle mugs

IIRC Hafer himself donated to Tulsi Gabbard in 2020 & I believe Obama previously. He claimed that the Obama dono was a lost bet, and the Gabbard dono was because she was a veteran. He has also given to some GOP too along with Winred.

Black Rifle also ruffled panties because one of their employees said some pretty aggressive nonsense concerning Rittenhouse and somehow associating him with radical right. Whom he then bashed and essentially said “f*** off, we don’t want your business.” I believe he also threatened to doxx Alex Jones since he was a customer.

IIRC Hafer himself donated to Tulsi Gabbard in 2020 & I believe Obama previously. He claimed that the Obama dono was a lost bet, and the Gabbard dono was because she was a veteran. He has also given to some GOP too along with Winred.

Black Rifle also ruffled panties because one of their employees said some pretty aggressive nonsense concerning Rittenhouse and somehow associating him with radical right. Whom he then bashed and essentially said “f*** off, we don’t want your business.” I believe he also threatened to doxx Alex Jones since he was a customer.
I cant remember the exact context of a fox radio interview he did last summer but he (the CEO) went off on a full retard rant on how he's misunderstood and then reverted back needing to shut his mouth. [rofl]

This is why he sucks. Also never donated to Trump but did so thru his company. His personal donations were to obama and Tulsi. I posted the proof in another BRCC thread but it's as easy as searching for his name and public donation records.
BRCC is trash. Try stocking mill or any kind of decent beans because honestly I dont need my coffee to be pro 2A. Just roast my damn beans

View: https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1415931737411096577?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1415931737411096577%7Ctwgr%5Ee32896319acfc8a557041ce61aaa94bd15c45a4b%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fredstate.com%2Fstreiff%2F2021%2F07%2F19%2Fblack-rifle-coffees-ceo-responds-to-the-social-media-furor-over-his-new-york-times-magazine-interview-n413319

That's Nubian Square you racist. ;)
Until Dudley Square becomes Vietnamese and the poverty pimps bitch about gentrification because the average Nguyen isn’t putting up with Dishuan trying to rob his/her businesses or some clown politician grifting off identity politics or phony shakedown circus ministers.

I used to buy the coffee. Not another dime from me. That CEO is a douche. It is to the point Mat Best get's on my nerves. Now, they are saying he has been accused of doing some things to woman. Dirt bag stuff.

Back
Top Bottom