~ A Sad Story of Woe . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
sadstory-1.gif

(http://carteach0.blogspot.com)

Glen's story.... a cautionary tale for shooters

What follows are the words of Glen Rhodes. He tells of his experience... and it's a story that every shooter should listen to.

Glen and I have traded a few E-mails, and he was kind enough to tell me his story. I suggested it's something more people should hear about, and offered 'Carteach0' as an outlet. Glen acquiesced and granted permission to share his words. I have not changed what he wrote, more than formatting it to suit the blog.

Glen's story...........

I was shot point blank in the chest Friday the 13th of July 2007, the bullet entered near the front edge of my left . . .

read the rest of his story here:​

Last edited:
I'm in shock! Some one like that should never be allowed to touch a firearm again! I wouldn't call that a accident, you pointed the gun at some one and pulled the trigger. He should have been charged with something that would have atleast DQ him from ever owning a gun.
I'm just glad he didn't kill the guy.

I'm not so quick to pull another man's rights.
He lost his gun and a lot of sleep. Probably for a long time.
Someone was hurt by his negligence. He will never do that again.
Besides, the only one who counts forgave him.
That's enough for me.
~Matt

So, the guy makes a mistake and you want him DQ'ed for life? yeah no. If he did something criminal, put him in jail. He did something stupid, so what, people do stupid crap every day. I'm sure there was more to it than, I dunno why, but he just put the gun on me and fired. However, we won't be getting John's side of the story, and since there were no charges, someone "more professional than you" determined it was an accident. My WAG was that they were playing grab ass and had a loaded gun. (Oh, let me show you how I can disarm you, ok, put the gun here and *boom*)

The police department did not return the handgun which is a Glock 17 to the owner John. Instead the dept had me fill out the paperwork for a background check and handed the gun over to me. I know that it was an accident and I worked with the police dept and the district attorney to not press charges, yeah he was stupid but it was an accident.
So, after this accident occurs the PD aids Glen in stealing John's Glock 17? Nice.

This rule is stupid:
#1 When a firearm is cleared everyone in the room checks it not just the handler.

Invitation of extra handlers introduces new potential points of failure.

#2 Do not put a magazine in your weapon without alerting others around you.
AAAAAAHHHHH I PUT A MAGAZINE IN THE GUN! (stupid)

#3 Pay attention to barrel awareness, flagging (accidently or purposefully crossing someone with your muzzle) around me will defiantly get someone a "boot camp ass chewing" and possibly shot.

So now he proposes that he will defiantly yell and someone at maybe shoot them if they accidently sweep someone. Nice.

Last edited:
I'm in shock! Some one like that should never be allowed to touch a firearm again! I wouldn't call that a accident, you pointed the gun at some one and pulled the trigger. He should have been charged with something that would have atleast DQ him from ever owning a gun.
I'm just glad he didn't kill the guy.

I'm not in favor of giving the government the power to take away someone's constitutional rights for life. Speak for yourself.

While I empathize with the shot guy, the story sounds like a brady spin on an unfortunate accident. Ordinary safety training would do more to keep people safe than the "rules" this guy want's to impose.

I'm not in favor of giving the government the power to take away someone's constitutional rights for life. Speak for yourself.

That really scares me that you guys think that he should be a gun owner after that. Lets see he takes a gun points it at some one and then pulls the trigger and shoots him! Even though he thought the gun wasn't loaded you never do that ever. He is trained to handle firearms. People have there gun rights taken away for far less and stupid things then this. Give me a f*cking break! This is the type of stuff anti gun people have a field day with when they come across a forum post that bascially say's oh well it was a accident he pointed a gun at some one else and pulled the trigger..

That really scares me that you guys think that he should be a gun owner after that. Lets see he takes a gun points it at some one and then pulls the trigger and shoots him! Even though he thought the gun wasn't loaded you never do that ever. He is trained to handle firearms. People have there gun rights taken away for far less and stupid things then this. Give me a f*cking break! This is the type of stuff anti gun people have a field day with when they come across a forum post that bascially say's oh well it was a accident he pointed a gun at some one else and pulled the trigger..

Because accidents never happen.

Start taking away guns, cars, chainsaws, lawnmowers, swimming pools, bicycles, kitchen implements, rakes and every other prop in the daily theater of unfortunate accidents and you will soon have a populace stripped of all earthly belongings and a government that now owns it all.

Maybe the shooter was negligent. If the victim felt so, he surely had the opportunity to express himself and if he had made a complaint, I bet there would have been a different outcome.

If you are ever accidentally shot, feel free to make a complaint.

The only accident was the fact the gun had a round still in it, besides that pointing and pulling the trigger was no accident! My old next door neighbors young kid was shoot in the leg by a hunter who was in the town forest next to there house hunting luckly it was more of a graze then a full hit. The hunter was pretty far in the woods missed his pray and the bullet made it all the way out and hit the kid who was in the yard playing, that is a accident.

Gun ownership is a right. Explain to me how it is that a right can be licensed in the first place?

Are you from MA?

And, your argument is really that the person is negligent and should not be allowed to possess anything that can cause injury or death if used negligently. So, do you suggest that the government ban him from driving, operating machinery, power tools, knives, bats, etc?

That is really what you are arguing. If you believe he should be banned from owning a tool that launches projectiles because it could hurt someone or kill them, aren't you arguing that he should be banned from any tool or object that could hurt or kill someone if used negligently?

Last edited:
Wow. I read the whole thing and all I can say is wow.

What a lucky guy, and that other guy make a very dumb mistake.

Hopefully this will get more and more people to make sure they're safe

Sounds like someone is maybe a little upset that he is a PP, and this person isn't. Everyone does dumb shit now and then, live with it.

I am not so fast to DQ someone either.

Ya that is what it is you got it all figured out! Any normal person that ever did something like that would never want to touch a firearm ever again any way. I bet if it was a police officer that did that you guys would be all over him but no its a serviceman and its just a mistake! Suppose the soldier that killed all those kids and women in Afghanistan should be allowed to have firearms also?

Ya he we go. Maybe the government is going about the this whole gun issue the wrong way. Instead of going though a background check maybe everyone should go though a physic evaluation before buying a gun ( more then a few on here wouldn't pass). Every day we are seeing more and more people lawfully allowed to have guns kill people because they aren't nuts or just flip out. The cop shooting the other cop in Beverly over a women a few weeks back and the armored car guard shooting his partner in the back of the head and taking all the money.

Part of the issue is pro gun people never want to admit when a person has done something wrong any time a lawfully abbiding person does something wrong with a gun. Any time there is a gun "accident" oh it was just a bad accident. Most of the time it is and sometimes it totally preventable and wasn't a accident.

Would you feel the same way if one of your buddies took his gun pointed it at your kid and pulled the trigger and shot him??

I don't think taking out your anger on this guy, is going to fix your situation. Neither is moving to NH. Just my HO.

Leave my kids out of this thread, really. Like, you're shitting me right???

Brandon, you totally just turned this perfectly good thread into an "out yourself thread."

Why don't you go cool off with your friends at the Brady Campaign forum for a little bit, then come back and regroup.

We get it, the BOR means nothing to you. You believe that gun control makes us safer, and the government has the power to license individual rights.

Would you feel the same way if one of your buddies took his gun pointed it at your kid and pulled the trigger and shot him??

Yes. Next question...

Last edited:
Just pointing out the fact that these are lawfull gun owners that shouldn't have guns. If you guys really think every single person in this country should have guns no matter what then your in trouble. Just because you dont have a criminal record doesn't always mean your capable of handling firearms. Prime example is the Preppers show and the nut job who gets into a shot out with some guys over a drug deal done bad still has his guns!

Bob you can't be to pro gun since you won't spring for the green membership to support the forum!

Brandon, you totally just turned this perfectly good thread into an "out yourself thread."

Why don't you go cool off with your friends at the Brady Campaign forum for a little bit, then come back and regroup.

We get it, the BOR means nothing to you. You believe that gun control makes us safer, and the government has the power to license individual rights.

Yes. Next question...

Wow then either you dont have kids or you are out of your f*cking mind.

So basically peoples gun rights are more important then your kids. Its a said day when that is how people think in this country.

Last edited:
Wow then either you dont have kids or you are out of your f*cking mind.

So basically peoples gun rights are more important then your kids. Its a said day when that is how people think in this country.

Ensuring that the government does not have the power to disarm my kids on their terms, is the most important thing that I can do for my kids.

You still have yet to answer my questions in post 10. Why don't you take a crack at them?

Brandon, are you even reading their posts, or just looking for the ad hominum arguments?

Each of them has raised valid points about items that, if used incorrectly (or even stupidly), can cause life-threatening accidents, yet the only 2 of those items that we consider restricting are access to guns and access to cars, out of that whole list of potentially deadly items. The number of accidental shootings is very low on the CDC's list of deadly activities (See page 44 HERE), falling FAR below accidental transport deaths in motor vehicles, falls, accidental exposure to smoke, drowning, and accidental exposure to poisons.

Yet the only time there is a clamoring for restrictions of FUNDAMENTAL rights, is in the use of a firearm. I'll agree, that the accidental injury to another using many of these items may result in criminal charges, and are very likely to result in civil charges. But swimming pools, poisons, ladders, and fire are not fundamental rights specifically recognized in the Constitution, and we don't restrict access to any of those items after improper use of (or improper access is permitted to) it. Yet firearms are different?

ETA: correct spelling

Last edited:
Brandon1317 said:
... Any normal person that ever did something like that would never want to touch a firearm ever again any way. ...

... Just pointing out the fact that these are lawful gun owners that shouldn't have guns. ...

... Wow then either you dont have kids or you are out of your f*cking mind. ...

Holy cow! Do you even read the bat crazy stuff you're posting?

I'm so happy you are that sure of your character that are able to judge everyone else as to their suitability to own guns or have kids.

Maybe you should like, run for office or be a supreme court judge or something, you know, when you grow up.

Ensuring that the government does not have the power to disarm my kids on their terms, is the most important thing that I can do for my kids.

You still have yet to answer my questions in post 10. Why don't you take a crack at them?

So as long as your kids can have guns in the future thats all that matters to you? So if some one shoots them by "accident" (pointing a gun at them and pulling the trigger) that is ok as long as it preserves there rights to firearms in the future. All I can say is WOW who cares about the kids as long as I have my guns! You must be from NH.

Just a FYI there is alot more to life then just owning guns. Your family and friends should be first on that list not guns but I guess you were raised a little differently then most.

Yes I'm from MA.

Yes exactly crazy talk.. Sorry I will go with the flow, every person in this country should have a gun no matter what!

You guys make a great case for 2nd amendment rights that is for sure. Screw the wife and kids I need my guns!!

Brandon, are you even reading their posts, or just looking for the ad hominum arguments?

Each of them has raised valid points about items that, if used incorrectly (or even stupidly), can cause life-threatening accidents, yet the only 2 of those items that we consider restricting are access to guns and access to cars, out of that whole list of potentially deadly items. The number of accidental shootings is very low on the CDC's list of deadly activities (See page 44 HERE), falling FAR below accidental transport deaths in motor vehicles, falls, accidental exposure to smoke, drowning, and accidental exposure to poisons.

Yet the only time there is a clamoring for restrictions of FUNDAMENTAL rights, is in the use of a firearm. I'll agree, that the accidental injury to another using many of these items may result in criminal charges, and are very likely to result in civil charges. But swimming pools, poisons, ladders, and fire are not fundamental rights specifically recognized in the Constitution, and we don't restrict access to any of those items after improper use of (or improper access is permitted to) it. Yet firearms are different?

ETA: correct spelling

Not looking for a agrument but you cant just say every accident is a accident. Pointing a gun and pulling the trigger is not a accident, a chambered round is but with out the pointing and pulling the trigger you have no shooting. That was my point. He has been properly trained how to handle firearms in the miltary and knows not to do something like that. Just pointing a unloaded gun is bad enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom