• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A question about Glock Grip Plugs

Do you have a Grip Plug on your Glock

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JimConway

Instructor
I was wondering how many of you have a grip plug on your Glock. If you have installed one, why did you do it other than the fact it is inexpensive

Last edited:
When I got my glock My pal at the shop put one on free of charge. Free cleaning kit and a free box of ammo. It's not who you are it's who you know [wink]

I think adding a grip plug to a Glock is one of the dumbest things you can do to the gun. In effect, you are eliminating one of the BIG features of the gun.

I think adding a grip plug to a Glock is one of the dumbest things you can do to the gun. In effect, you are eliminating one of the BIG features of the gun.

what big feature is that? My limited understanding ( since I don't shoot glocks) is that they make reloads easier and they keep dirt out. what are the negatives?

what big feature is that? My limited understanding ( since I don't shoot glocks) is that they make reloads easier and they keep dirt out. what are the negatives?

Type 3 malfunction clearing. With most other firearms, you will have already tried the "tap, rack-n-roll" then determined that didn't clear the stoppage. You would then lock the slide back (pretty hard to do when the slide is already that far open) hit the mag release, while pulling the magazine out of the gun and throwing it on the ground. Then you would rack the slide 3 times quickly and with some force, let the slide close, put in a fresh magazine, rack the slide to chamber a round, and fire.

With a Glock, the first (and most difficult task of locking the slide back) is eliminated. You would simply put your thumb into the hole in the grip, finger on the front of the mag, press the mag release, and strip the mag. The offending round will drop out of the gun. Then rack the slide 3 times, insert a fresh mag, rack again and fire.

It may not seem like a big difference, but while your hands are in the firing position, to move them to hit the slide release, and hold it up firmly while pulling the slide back that 1/8" is much harder than you might think. If you were locking the slide back with the slide closed, your momentum will carry the slide all the way to the rear. With the slide almost already fully open, the spring is compressed, and that last little bit is a BITCH.

So, by putting in a plug, you eliminate your ability to put your thumb into that area to grip the mag, and therefore eliminate your ability to quickly and accurately clear a type 3 stoppage.

Are you referring to the saf-t-blok? I would never carry a glock in a smartcarry or thunderwear holster without using one. I had a scary situation once with my j-frame smith in a thunderware holster.

I guess I was a bit slow with this post...

Last edited:
The technique that Adam mentioned will cut about 2 seconds off the clearance of a Type 3 MALF. Glock designed this feature into the gun, but never mentioned it in any of the probuct literature. As far as the dust goes, put the gun in the dishwasher, while your wife is out shopping, give it a good bath, and then relube it. This is not kidding it does work.

Thanks, Adam. I guess that you were not sleeping in class.

Last edited:
The technique that Adam mentioned will cut about 2 seconds off the clearance of a Type 2 MALF.

I thought type 2 was a stove-pipe, and type 3 was a double feed?

Thanks, Adam. I guess that you were not sleeping in class

How could I, your classes are fun, insightful, engaging, and packed full of useful information.

For the others out there, the Walther P99 also has the feature of clearing these types of malfunctions, though there is no hole to put your thumb into, so it's a bit harder to get a grip on the magazine base.

The technique that Adam mentioned will cut about 2 seconds off the clearance of a Type 2 MALF. Glock design this feature into the gun, but never mentioned it in any of the probuct literature. As far as the dust goes, put the gun in the dishwasher, while your wife is out shopping, give it a good bath, and then relube it. This is not kidding it does work.

Thanks, Adam. I guess that you were not sleeping in class.

WHAT?? The whole gun in the dishwasher?

WHAT?? The whole gun in the dishwasher?

Yes I am not kidding. You can put you glock in the dishwasher. Several of my friends do it regularly with no ill results. I do not know why anyone would question this. You wash plastic bowls and tupperware in the dishwasher, don't you?

For those of you that are annoyingly bright (those are not the words that I am thinking) that noticed my error in calling a Type 3 and Type 2. Thank you, it has been edited.

My reason for not checking what I typed is the I had to do a search, with the police, of my office at 2:30 AM because the burglar alarm sounded off. Now all that I need is some sleep

Last edited:
I'm not very familiar with Glocks; How does the grip plug prevent clearing type 3s the faster way? Do the magazines not have anything below the grip to grab on to?

Type 3 malfunction clearing. With most other firearms, you will have already tried the "tap, rack-n-roll" then determined that didn't clear the stoppage. You would then lock the slide back (pretty hard to do when the slide is already that far open) hit the mag release, while pulling the magazine out of the gun and throwing it on the ground. Then you would rack the slide 3 times quickly and with some force, let the slide close, put in a fresh magazine, rack the slide to chamber a round, and fire.

With a Glock, the first (and most difficult task of locking the slide back) is eliminated. You would simply put your thumb into the hole in the grip, finger on the front of the mag, press the mag release, and strip the mag. The offending round will drop out of the gun. Then rack the slide 3 times, insert a fresh mag, rack again and fire.

It may not seem like a big difference, but while your hands are in the firing position, to move them to hit the slide release, and hold it up firmly while pulling the slide back that 1/8" is much harder than you might think. If you were locking the slide back with the slide closed, your momentum will carry the slide all the way to the rear. With the slide almost already fully open, the spring is compressed, and that last little bit is a BITCH.

So, by putting in a plug, you eliminate your ability to put your thumb into that area to grip the mag, and therefore eliminate your ability to quickly and accurately clear a type 3 stoppage.

Interesting. I had never come across this before.

My first reaction is that techniques that are pistol-specific are probably not a good idea, unless you can GUARANTEE that that is the only gun you are ever going to use. You are probably better off conditioning yourself to use a UNIVERSAL technique - one that will work on any gun - until you do it without conciously thinking about it.

That said, when I had David Bowie work my Glock over, I had him cut out both sides of the mag well. You can see pictures at:

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/

so I guess I can play around with this idea a little bit even though I have a plug in the grip.

Regards
John

Are you referring to the saf-t-blok? I would never carry a glock in a smartcarry or thunderwear holster without using one. I had a scary situation once with my j-frame smith in a thunderware holster.

I guess I was a bit slow with this post...

why not????

Cleaning in a dishwasher

As far as the dust goes, put the gun in the dishwasher, while your wife is out shopping, give it a good bath, and then relube it. This is not kidding it does work.

You can put any firearm in a dishwasher and clean it, sure. Take the wooden grips off 1st, of course.

But just how often are you having the lead level in your blood checked? Or the level in your wife or children? That dust will contaminate the dishwasher and will leave residue on all your dishes and silverware.

When Glock's first started appearing in the US. I was told by a Glock rep presenting the gun to the Boston PD, that the thumbhole was to allow one to get the mag out while wearing gloves. This was a design request by the Austrian army.

Back
Top Bottom