A New Gun For Me From Smith&Wesson

There's something about a store credit - especially at a gun shop - which in my world never lasts long...burns a hole in my pocket faster than cash it seems.

I have been waiting patiently for the Smith and Wesson M&P in .45ACP. Today, my patience ran out and I ordered a new gun. This for me will be a complete departure from anything I've owned in 20-years. Back in 1987 I bought a Smith and Wesson Model 19 - it was my first and only wheel gun. Until today I have owned nothing but autos and thought wheelers were too antiquated for my taste. Times change don't they? Maybe it's my age.

Even though it's already ordered, I would appreciate any/all opinions on the Smith and Wesson Model 642 CT. It will arrive next week, as the distributor locally was all out, (I could have had it tomorrow damnit).

I decided on this gun for a variety of reasons. First, it's small and light and with it's hammerless design, lends itself well to pocket carry. Second, I'm a believer in Crimson Trace. The first time I used them, (on my Colt Defender), it was like an instant learning tool for aim and trigger control. You'll never realize how much your moving around and/or jerking the trigger until you have a red lie detector bouncing on the target. My groups have tightened up 5-fold. Third, it's a Smith and Wesson. Despite their detractors, S&W have been making wheel-o-ramas for a long, long time.

I will be using this gun for daily carry. I work in an environment that is anti-gun, (liberals) so I don't want to advertise. I spend a good quantity of my day in the dregs of society and am feeling less and less secure. I also have a second part-time job which requires me to carry moderate to high amounts of cash and even though my ParaCarry is very concealable, it's less so with the clothing I'll be wearing come Spring/Summer. The only thing that bothers me is one of the features I like at the same time - hammerless. Am I over-thinking this?

So with that in mind, any thoughts, (good or bad), would be appreciated by anyone with real-world experience with the S&W 642. Thanks in advance as per....

Mark

My brother-in-law picked one up a couple months ago. He is pleased with it, and I was rather impressed as to how accurate the laser was right out of the box...

I also have that exact model. I love the crimson trace trips. I pocket carry it a lot. I switch between the 642 and a Kahr PM9 depending upon what I'm wearing.

The only thing is that during the day with full sunlight, it will be a little hard to see the laser. Make sure you practice with the miniscule sights to see how yours shoots.

Thanks for the replies - so far, feels like a good choice. I like the grip on this J-Frame as well - I think the Crimson Trace allows for a larger grip. At 6'4" 260, I have gorilla hands and the feel of small autos and revolvers has left me cold until now. It looks by the catalog as if this gun comes with the Serpa holster, but I'm not anticipating it. Any ammo recommendations? I carry Remington Golden Sabresin my .45 ParaCarry - after shooting 8 other types. I subsequently ordered 2 boxes of .38 with my 642, but wondered if there were any other choices to look at? I'm getting excited!

Rockrivr1 - I hear ya on the CT's. I think they can be a bad thing for those who become complacent. I had them on my Colt Defender and practced with the grips off about 50% of the time....

Any ammo recommendations? I carry Remington Golden Sabresin my .45 ParaCarry - after shooting 8 other types. I subsequently ordered 2 boxes of .38 with my 642, but wondered if there were any other choices to look at?

I shot some Hydra-shok, standard and +p's out of my bro-in-law's. They both felt good, and were accurate.

There are 3 models of CT grips for the 642. One (according to CT) may feel best in large hands but is tough to conceal in a pocket (would be great for holstered carry).

I like Hydra-Shoks and carry them in each gun/caliber that I use as carry guns.

Hey MassMark,

I wrote a range report on the 642. Check it out.

EddieCoyle - Wow! Nice write-up! Man, that helped a lot and had I read it before I jumped - I would have jumped anyway based on your article alone. The photos of proper grip were extremely helpful as well. Thank you so much for the link and taking the time to write that review.

LenS - I'm not sure what model comes on the 642CT, but it felt pretty good. I mean, with big mitts, not a lot fits just right. Even my ParaCarry took some adjustment. I chomping at the bit to get this pup to the range. I called and ordered 1 box of Golden Sabres, 1 box Hydra Shoks on your and Adam's suggestion and some Remington Semi-wadcutters to get a feel for a defensive load and also some more Rem lead for plinking.

Back
Top Bottom