A More Original Mosin Nagant? Not Too Many Around. '32 Tula M91/30

With the bulk of Russian/Soviet-made Mosin Nagants having received a refurbishment, or two, or three....

...it isn't often one has the opportunity to view a rifle that came out of service with all the parts that it had when it entered service. Today, I'm grateful to be able to present an original configuration Mosin Nagant Model 91/30 from the Tula arsenal, and built in 1932.

panshin_tula1_001.jpg

No Soviet upgrades or refurbishment. Just gorgeous 10% bluing, heavy handling wear, a Finnish Army [SA] property stamp, and an unfortunately sanded (by the Finns) buttstock, but with the Tula cartouche and year still somewhat legible.

Among the early features are:

1. Blade front sight
2. Non-pinned rear sight base
3. Button-style barrel bands
4. All Tula small parts
5. Original (font) matching numbers

Oh, and it has a pretty cool and rare accessory - the hooded 'Panshin' bayonet. It is Izhevsk arsenal manufactured, but I won't toss it out. These don't surface often. When they do, they are often $300-plus, all by themselves.

Lots of pics, so enjoy. Thanks for looking.

panshin_tula1_002.jpg

panshin_tula1_004.jpg

panshin_tula1_005.jpg

panshin_tula1_007.jpg

panshin_tula1_008.jpg

panshin_tula1_009.jpg

panshin_tula1_010.jpg

panshin_tula1_011.jpg

panshin_tula1_012.jpg

panshin_tula1_014.jpg

panshin_tula1_015.jpg

panshin_tula1_016.jpg

panshin_tula1_017.jpg

panshin_tula1_018.jpg

panshin_tula1_019.jpg

panshin_tula_012.jpg

panshin_tula_031.jpg

panshin_tula_032.jpg

panshin_tula_033.jpg

panshin_tula_001.jpg

panshin_tula_003.jpg

So by 1932, some 91/30s did not have a sight hood? So instead of a sight hood, as the Russians kept/fought with the bayonets on most of the time, the bayonet became the defacto sight hood? Love the patina.

Show a pic with it on?

MS

But... but there's no rail on it...

I've grown to love Mosins since I traded for one on a whim last year, and yours looks great. Congrats!

So by 1932, some 91/30s did not have a sight hood? So instead of a sight hood, as the Russians kept/fought with the bayonets on most of the time, the bayonet became the defacto sight hood? Love the patina.

Show a pic with it on?

MS

Yes, from 1930 to 1932, the M91/30 was made with the blade front sight, instead of the post and globe. A very few examples have also been observed on 1933 rifles. And yes, the Russians went to battle with bayonets attached, so the hood was utilized in battle.

But the large majority of these were upgraded in post-war refurbishment, and the blade front sight was replaced by the globe. Precious few remain in original configuration.

It looks a little odd with the bayonet (at 95% bluing) on the gun....

... but again, I won't toss it out!

Always amazes me how much material can be ground away to re number parts. Looking at those pics you can see just how beefy the bolt, butt plate, etc are when they haven't been refurbed.

nice '32.

I just stripped the (very dark) finish on my '37. I left it lighter by brightening it up with some lemon oil.

Refinished+Mosin+-+3

I love the way you can see the proof marks better now & the natural grain of the wood.
Saw a guy do a YouTube video on how to strip it w/ CitriShine. Super easy.

Ya have to love the rifles in original condition. The markings, the wear, a great pick up buddy. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom