A Gem of a Remington 03-A3; 6/43. 03 VS 03-A3 comparasion

Some day, Ray, Some day.[grin]

T

P.S. So did I do well or get 'screwed' on the 03-A3?

Mine came from CMP and was a Greek return. Nice shooter and I never bothered to check all the parts. The whole US area of milsurp collecting is something I never studied up on regarding dates, manufacturers, etc. I know a little here and there but I know there are several on here that are better judges of a good/bad deal on that rifle than I am.

You need to get a set of screwdriver bits with concave blades so you don't take a chance on damaging screws. The Wheeler set is a great start for any shooter on a budget.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/43...professional-plus-gunsmithing-screwdriver-set
B Square makes a good range bag set too that can double as a home set unless you have some exotics you're working on.

I'll second the need to get a proper screwdriver set.

I got this one. Cheaper than the one Ray suggested but all I need.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/510765/chapman-model-8900-27-piece-deluxe-screwdriver-set

Some day, Ray, Some day.[grin]

T

P.S. So did I do well or get 'screwed' on the 03-A3?

Whats important is you enjoy the rifle, its worth a million dollars if it makes you happy and it adds to your collection. I would suggest you try shooting factory ammunition and you may get even better results at the range.

It was billed as "right out of grandpa's closet;" neither as original or rebuild. Based on the amount of dust on the sight, trigger guard, nose cap, and inside the barrel, this was believable. I couldn't believe it was original, but based on the condition with all R marked parts, I assumed this was an unused rebuild with most of the original parts and worth $7-800.

MS

Whats important is you enjoy the rifle, its worth a million dollars if it makes you happy and it adds to your collection. I would suggest you try shooting factory ammunition and you may get even better results at the range.

I have 2 boxes of 1983 UMC M2 ball waiting...

MS

I assumed this was an unused rebuild with most of the original parts and worth $7-800.

MS

90-plus percent of these are rebuilds to one degree or another. It is usually a matter of "correct" parts and/or original finished parts that make them more desirable. $7-800 is a good ballpark value for yours.

Having the two Springfields out several times over the last week, I was struck by the differences/modifcations between the two between 1931 and 1943.

• Personally I found the A3 stock lighter and more comfortable.
  • Straight vs scant stock
  • Interesting how the two piece A3 front band/bayonet lug was 'simpler' than the one piece 03.
  • Quality differences between milled and stamped.
  • Rear sight differences
  • The 03 is basically in WWII trim; blued bolt, barrel, and small parts with parked receiver.
  • Left vent hole in A3 receiver opposed to right in 03.

009.jpg

019.jpg

018.jpg

017.jpg

016.jpg

015.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

008.jpg

MS

Last edited:
Nice pair of rifles. I was in a gun store today that had 2 03A3's. One a SC and the other a Remington. Both refurbs and priced at $850 and neither one as nice as yours. I

Swapped out the only non-Remington marked part; found a "R" marked sight hood. Boy, those buggers are hard to get off. So now I have a spare triangle-G (Gotham Steel, Brooklyn, NY) sight hood. I'll leave the unmarked SC trigger guard as the finish matches and it is unmarked anyways.

MS

007-4.jpg

005-6.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom