A Gem of a Remington 03-A3; 6/43. 03 VS 03-A3 comparasion

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I finally just went to see about the 03-A3 I have been waiting on. As I thought, Sturbridge was out of power for nearly a week with 13 inches of heavy snow.

I emptied my cabinet of less-than-normally used items to trade for this GEM of a rifle: 1976 S/W M19-3 .357 magnum, matching 1939 Izzy M91/31, bolt MM E37 Lion Crest VZ24, and a .50 cal left hand flintlock from Dixie Gunworks.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. The story on this Remington was that it was straight out of Grandpa's closet. I didn't have to clean it save two passes with my bore snake. I left the dust on it that I hadn't wiped off inside the trigger guard, rear sight, and nose cap. Every part is Remington marked save the triggerguard which is unmarked. Everything is nearly perfect save for a few rough patches on the stock and a "JCS" lightly carved on the stock. Rifle seems unused - no dirt, no grease - nothing but dust.

Came with a repro Hunter M07 sling which I swapped for an original 1944 PKW stamped web sling and unissued sight cover.

The icing on the cake was finding the original oiler in the buttstock!

Enjoy. Meet my safe queen.

051.jpg

050.jpg

048.jpg

047.jpg

041.jpg

040.jpg

039.jpg

037.jpg

036.jpg

034.jpg

032.jpg

031.jpg

029.jpg

027.jpg

026.jpg

025.jpg

022.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

024.jpg

MS

Last edited:
Def been rebuilt/refinished, due to lack of blued parts (bolt, bands trigger guard ect). still nice looking.

If that's the case (I'm ignorant, not arguing), then it didn't see much use and kept it's Remington parts.

MS

P.S. I'm getting similar comments on the GunBoards American forum. The B and 3 on the forestock say rework as does the total parkerized finish. This was my assumption going in; that the rifle was a refurb and little/not used since. I'm also told it has a Smith Corona trigger guard.

Last edited:
Just pointing out original finish, only parkerized parts are receiver, barrel, and safety switch. Rest is blued.

Still I nice looking gun. Last 2 a3's I seen were complete beaten pieces of junk. Let us know a range report. Btw, it a 2 or 4 groove barrel?

Very nice rifle. It is hard to pass up a rifle like that. Yours is a close cousin to mine. I am guessing only a month or two apart. Enjoy it at the range. I have not taken it out yet but plan on doing so before the snow flies.
View attachment 22017

Just pointing out original finish, only parkerized parts are receiver, barrel, and safety switch. Rest is blued.

Still I nice looking gun. Last 2 a3's I seen were complete beaten pieces of junk. Let us know a range report. Btw, it a 2 or 4 groove barrel?

I'll take a better bore pic in daylight as well as the whole rifle and you can tell me.

I plan on putting 20 rounds out of it tomorrow.

MS

P.S. 2-groove barrel.

Last edited:
Though it may have parkerized small parts and an SC triggerguard, I'll bet many would like to get their hands on the non-refinished stock. Looks like it just got an inspector's stamp, an then packed away.

Nice looking gun.

Since my Remington has been refurbished, and has the stock markings as such, wouldn't it be more correct to leave it as is?

I wonder why only the receiver was parked?

I notice your stock has bolts while mine has pins. When did this happen? I assume your rifle is earlier than mine.

How does a R trigger guard differ from a SC trigger guard?

MS

Last edited:
Pins were swapped for stock bolts in mid 1943, for more reeinforcement on the stock,. I shot a pinned one, that ended up cracking behind the reciever tang down the comb. others shoot them no issue so dont go off my experiance. just make sure wood isnt dry (few coats of blo or tung oil would help if is). to see if you have a SC trigger guard, I forget how to tell by looking at it without taking it off. think has to do with the screw holes, and to me I think is remington, but am looking through source to confirm. take it off there should be a R somewhere on it is it is for sure. The later Remington large bow, that was also used for the 1903a4 snipers and 03a3's in the 4 mil range. as for why only receiver and barrel were parked, rest blued I got no idea.

Not saying restore it. I know a few people who as soon as they hear refinished, rebuilt they price parts to restore. Me personally would leave as is, as its a great looking rifle, with a great barrel. Stock is also a gem, as most the stamps are illegible after refinish.

Last edited:
The 'quick look' way to tell if you have a Remington or Smith Corona trigger guard can be observed on the portion directly behind the front bolt.

Remington has a perpendicular stamped crease about 1/4" behind the bolt.

Rem_03-A3_008.JPG

A Smith Corona has a half-moon arched crease.

Smith_Corona_005.JPG

Went to the range with it today. Shot 30 rounds of 1963 Iranian surplus. First 10 were benched with spotter scope, and the last 20 were benched, but free. I also brought along my DOT44 K98k bolt MM as a comparasion and shot 30 rounds of '53 Yugo, sitting and using the sling.

Two of the Iranian rounds were too long and the bolt would not seat (actually they were 8mm/oops). The first Yugo round was a dead dud, even with a 30# Wolf spring.

The first 4 from the 03-A3 were high until I found the rear sight was set at 500 yards. I also needed three clicks left windage. The 03-A3 is the right target, and you can see the rounds pulling in to the center. The rifle felt very light, and the trigger break was exceptionally light.

I forgot the counter aim point of the DOT44; should have been centered and a bit lower.

All in all I'm very pleased with the 03-A3.

019-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

021-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

MS

Last edited:
ooo I miss my dot 44 k98. yours looks super nice.

Nice shooting :). Seeing it is really making me think to go back to rebuilding my wwii arms collection lol. damn decisions decisions...

Decided I should strip the bolt at least once. I hate doing this. A Mauser is so easy; I'm always afraid the oily spring will slip and send the striker into orbit. Happened once[shocked].

All clean and correct inside. Add a Remington marked striker to the list, as well as the safety. Everything is Remington save the Smith-Corona trigger guard.

026-1.jpg

MS

Had to look inside the trigger guard; last thing for the weekend. Got it off no problem; perfect save for a few blemishes, and totally unmarked. Bottom of follower was R marked.

Flash made things turn out blue.

038.jpg

037-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

035.jpg

034-1.jpg

033.jpg

So the only indicator of being a SC is the stamp pattern around the rear of the front screw.

MS

Home sick today. What to do? Strip the 03-A3.

Exceptionally clean and little oil. Trigger guard totally unmarked. Follower R marked. Few scattered marks under the wood; "U," "Z," and "I." Long "I" behind circle P. Butt plate unmarked. Barrel marked A49 and scattered proofs on receiver. Bland compared to Mausers.

017-3.jpg

016-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

014-2.jpg

012-2.jpg

011-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

009.jpg

007-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

006.jpg

005-2.jpg