• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A day in the life of an FBI agent in training...

By the end of the weekend, two of the class's nine women had dropped out. One was Lisa, a 33-year-old Asian-American corporate lawyer from Oregon who had dreamed of becoming an FBI agent since she was a teenager. When she arrived at Quantico, however, she quickly felt that she didn't belong.

"Until you get there, it's hard to explain," Lisa said. "It was the demands, the pressure, the lifestyle. It's much more of a military-type organization than I expected. A lot of the agents are police or military. I wasn't used to calling people 'sir' and 'ma'am.' I felt like it was going to be 18 weeks of boot camp."

What did this hose bag expect? [rolleyes]

Hey guys cut the lady some slack not everyone is as "worldly" as you.
I've had jobs that looked great till I was hired then it all went down hill quite fast.
No I was never drafted or signed up for the military nor have I wished to be a cop or fireman I know my limits but you can't fault someone for tring and washing out she had more hutzvah then most men I know.
There is no shame in tring to do something and realizing you are in over your head

Each had to fire a gun from four positions at four distances, 150 shots in all. To pass, each trainee had to put at least 120 shots in the target.

Umm is it just me or is that a lousy standard? Unless the target is 200 yards away and you're shooting a pistol then I don't see how you can miss 30 times and still pass. I'd love to find out more about this test...

There is no shame in tring to do something and realizing you are in over your head

Uhh, in this case there is.

That is... the F B I. Hello? Anyone home? It's the creme de la creme LE
agencies. One doesn't sign up there not knowing exactly what your getting
into. The equivalency there is "I wanna be an air force pilot" and then
not realizing that theres this whole huge structure of existence you have
to go through to even get a pilot slot.

This lady apparently didn't have a clue, ergo:

"It's much more of a military-type organization than I expected. A lot of the agents are police or military"

Do ya think, that perhaps, it's because the FBI is a LAW ENFORCEMENT
organization? duh? lol.

She just seems like a twit, because she probably wasted a class slot
for someone who may not have had the "ivory tower" creds that she
had, but perhaps was willing to stay with the program, knowing full
well what she was getting into.

-Mike

I don’t think there is any dishonor in trying to do something and failing or finding out that it isn’t right for you. If you haven’t failed at a few things in life, you just are not putting yourself out there enough.

However this says something that should have been caught in a screening process.

“But after the firearms class, she knew she had to leave. It hit her that being an FBI agent also really meant being a cop.”​

Someone that has wanted to be an FBI agent since they were a teenager should at least have a clue about what the training they are about to take part in is all about and the rigors of such training. The screening process should have made sure that they know what it is that they are getting into.

Maybe she is just guilty of wishful thinking and that is ok, but there should be something in place in their recruiting to make sure that she didn’t just meet the bureaus diversity hiring practices, and makes sure that they are getting candidates that know what is going on. There is a fundamental flaw with someone’s perception of reality if they are just coming to the realization that becoming an agent is a rigorous process

Imaging going to the Army Airbore school and after two weeks of training, backing out when you get up in the aircraft at 1200 feet. Ya know it is kind of scary being up in an airplane and coming to the realization that you are going out of the aircraft. If you don’t jump that’s ok with me. However don’t feed me a line about not knowing you were going to have to jump out of an airplane.

B

At the end of the day, I'm more concerned with the FBI having lax screening or doing a very poor job of explaining what will be expected of the candidates.

Training for all federal law enforcement and intel agencies are very rigorous. It's pretty much like boot camp. The tactical teams are different, you need credentials before going in. But whether you're going to be a pencil pusher or a field agent everyone goes through the same indocrination and training.

Well, she might just be a little out-dated in her information on the bureau. At one point, the majority of their agents had accounting backgrounds, not law enforcement. They still have a lot of people who don't do anything an outsider would even vaguely associate with law enforcement.

Ken

This "asian-american lawyer" reminds me a lot of the whiners who signed up for the reserves in the late 80s and early 90s for a college ride or some extra cash then bitched when told they would have to go to war.

Dumb asses all.

This "asian-american lawyer" reminds me a lot of the whiners who signed up for the reserves in the late 80s and early 90s for a college ride or some extra cash then bitched when told they would have to go to war.

Dumb asses all.

The worst part is civilians back here listen to those pissed off freeloading reservists who come back and complain how horrible it was. [rolleyes]

Jose and derek, I completely agree! I was in ROTC (never took money, just did it for fun), and most of the kids there were in it for the money. Now they are all complaining about being away from their families and getting shot at, but I didn't hear nothing out of them when they got a free $120k education, plus full stipend on top of that for Junior and Senior year. Bastards just want the gov to pay for their college, then to do nothing, got forbid they have to do their jobs. Not to mention, that means they basically believe that we, the taxpayers, should pay their education and not get anything back. Grrrr.

I just want to be like: "Do your jobs and shut up. When someone gives you $120k, you might figure that the job may not always be pleasant or easy. Next time don't take the money if you can't pay it back."

Last edited:
Derek, how about the dickheads who tried to shirk their duty when called up from the IRR?

THAT made my blood boil. When that crap blew up, I went back and looked at my DD214 and read it again carefully. I was reminded of two things:

1) It is not a discharge. It is merely a release from active duty.

2) It stated plainly: subject to recall by the Secretary of the Navy.

Screw 'em if they can't read or comprehend plain English. A DD214 is NOT a discharge, and if you are an officer you MUST request separation at the end of your obligated service. If you don't, you might be in for a nasty surprise when you least expect it.

In my case, I made doubly sure I understood the process of separation. Because I was an officer, I served "at the discretion of the President". Meaning that if I did not request a discharge from the Naval Reserve's IRR after the conclusion of my total 8 years of obligated service, I would remain in the IRR until age sixty (mandatory retirement).

As soon as May 25th 1996 came around I wrote a letter to the Commanding Officer, Naval Reserve Personnel Command requesting discharge from the Naval Reserve.

A few weeks later I got a nice parchment with the words "Honorably Discharged from the US Naval Reserve". That made me a civilian.

Back
Top Bottom