A Computer-based Smart Rifle With Incredible Accuracy, Now On Sale

A story on NPR reports that the TrackingPoint rifle went on sale today, and can enable a 'novice' to hit a target 500 yards away on the first try. The rifle's scope features a sophisticated color graphics display (video). The shooter locks a laser on the target by pushing a small button by the trigger... But here's where it's different: You pull the trigger but the gun decides when to shoot. It fires only when the weapon has been pointed in exactly the right place, taking into account dozens of variables, including wind, shake and distance to the target. The rifle has a built-in laser range finder, a ballistics computer and a Wi-Fi transmitter to stream live video and audio to a nearby iPad. Every shot is recorded so it can be replayed, or posted to YouTube or Facebook.

A New 'Smart Rifle' Decides When To Shoot And Rarely Misses : All Tech Considered : NPR

Quote from article:

"Chris Frandsen, a West Point graduate who fought in Vietnam, doesn't believe the TrackingPoint technology should be allowed in the civilian world. The gun makes it too easy for a criminal or a terrorist to shoot people from a distance without being detected, he says."

Last edited:
Read about this the other day, and also caught a radio broadcast about how it works, my initial feeling is it's pretty cool for those that like programing computers, but it ain't something I would be interested in, I prefer having the skill through practice to accomplish any task I do, using a computer in this case is just cheating and lazy in my book, good for the military I suppose, but just another dork computer program making it easy for those that spend way to much time sitting on their ass dreaming up ways to be even more lazy than they already are ~

Sorry if that offends anyone but we are already a society of lazy complaining jerks, no need to take it onto the range where practice makes perfect. . .

Tim

i would like to set up that rifle as my front door greeter with facial recognition built in and linked to a database of criminals and democrats (may be redundant)

But.... can it be produced and mounted on a 3D printed gun?

Quote from article:

"Chris Frandsen, a West Point graduate who fought in Vietnam, doesn't believe the TrackingPoint technology should be allowed in the civilian world. The gun makes it too easy for a criminal or a terrorist to shoot people from a distance without being detected, he says."

Chris needs a fastball to the face and/or a cock punch.

Keep in mind the cheapest one of these is almost $20k. Not many people have that much dough hanging around. Then factor in that it is an entire weapon system and you can't just drop it on your rifle and you wind up with a pretty controlled flow of those things. Pretty sure they are going to have a solid record of who bought what for those.

I find them interesting because I am a technology nut. But like many have said, I'd rather learn and build the skills needed to do it with Rifle 1.0 than one of these.

Such systems don't even begin to deal with windage.

They basically automate what you can do with a calculator or a piece of paper (distance/drop) and leave off the hard part (windage).

More FUD from FUDDs, but hey, the more honest we can force them to be about their paranoid fears of any weapon and desire to ban them all, the better. Let's get it out in the open that they want to disarm all civilians. Then and only then can the real debate begin.

Such systems don't even begin to deal with windage.

They basically automate what you can do with a calculator or a piece of paper (distance/drop) and leave off the hard part (windage).

Exactly. Even if it measured and calculated wind, it could only do so at the gun... and anyone who's fired long distance knows that's not the whole story.

They want to ban all firearms that look killy and have more power than a slingshot.

Slingshot, eh?

slingshot.jpg
+
gopro_hd_hero_2.jpg
+
6a00d83452989a69e201156f35715b970b-800wi
+ ?? = Profit

Back
Top Bottom