• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm Major loading rate

Just started reloading for 9mm Major. I have been reloading 40 S&W for some time now with no issues. I can reload on my square deal B at a rate of 400 rounds an hour.

I bought a new XL650 just to reload the 9mm major. I have had the following problems. Powder spilling everywhere and jamming up the press. I have trimmed the detent ball spring to minimize snap on the shell plate, but sometimes it seems the powder funnel is getting stuck. Is it me or is the loading rate much slower in this caliber due to how much the case is filled. I am using 7.9g of N350 and the stuff just crunches up the press. Very frustrating.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Just started reloading for 9mm Major. I have been reloading 40 S&W for some time now with no issues. I can reload on my square deal B at a rate of 400 rounds an hour.

I bought a new XL650 just to reload the 9mm major. I have had the following problems. Powder spilling everywhere and jamming up the press. I have trimmed the detent ball spring to minimize snap on the shell plate, but sometimes it seems the powder funnel is getting stuck. Is it me or is the loading rate much slower in this caliber due to how much the case is filled. I am using 7.9g of N350 and the stuff just crunches up the press. Very frustrating.

thanks

What kind of powder is the N350, stick or ball? Stick powder tends to bind up powder dispensers.

I was using N350 for 38 super with no issues on a dillon 550b. You have to turn the shell plate really slow or powder flies everywhere. It definitely slows production down, but it's alot cleaner. The 650 auto indexes right? Might be tough to go slow on that. Maybe someone else who has that machine could be more help than me.

Why are you using N350? A little pricey don't ya think? I didn't notice a difference between N350 and IMR, well except in the wallet.

I loaded a bunch of 9Major on a 650 and then on a 1050. I never spent the money on the VV powders but I know the go-to one for 9Major is 3n37. I'm not so sure about N350.

I did have lots of luck with LongShot, 7625, and HS6. With these powders you don't have to get so close to the top of the case to make major and the reload was not slow going at all.

The best info on specific loads and 9Major tips are on the BrianEnos forum in the 9mm reloading section in a large thread. Someone in that thread has a speadsheet with tons of data submitted by people with all sorts of gun configurations.

Thanks Guys. I bought a selection of powders based on the spreadsheet from the brianenos site. I have some HS6, Power Pistol, and True Blue. I just happen to start with the VV. It is expensive and I will only use it till the 1lb runs out. Dan Bedell gave me the load and I just wanted to try out the pistol. Maybe, I will have better luck with the other powders on the press. The N350 ran real well though about 171 PF with no problems.

Thanks Guys. I bought a selection of powders based on the spreadsheet from the brianenos site. I have some HS6, Power Pistol, and True Blue. I just happen to start with the VV. It is expensive and I will only use it till the 1lb runs out. Dan Bedell gave me the load and I just wanted to try out the pistol. Maybe, I will have better luck with the other powders on the press. The N350 ran real well though about 171 PF with no problems.

Did you get a shorty or fullsize?

To minimize the spillage - when you pull the lever w/your right hand you may way to put slight pressure on the shell plate holder with your left hand to slow down the snappy indexing. I've used 3N37 for 9Major with good results in a Bedell 9mm shorty..

Good Luck

Did you get a shorty or fullsize?

Full Size. I loaded about 200 rounds today with minimal spillage. I clipped the detent ball spring a half a coil as recommended. I also was very slow on the upstroke which helped. Once I had things moving the production rate was steady. Thanks for all the advice.

Looking forward to competing in the open division.

To minimize the spillage - when you pull the lever w/your right hand you may way to put slight pressure on the shell plate holder with your left hand to slow down the snappy indexing. I've used 3N37 for 9Major with good results in a Bedell 9mm shorty..

Good Luck

I also use a similar method. I have a bullet in my left hand and place it on the case as it moves from the powder drop station to the empty station. I sort of ride the case with the bullet as the shell plate comes around, thus buffering any "snap" by the shell plate. Once you get used to the 650 this will not really slow you down very much. It also helps to have the bullet tray mounted on the machine as it minimizes the movement of your left hand.

thanks

A sticking powder funnel is usually caused by new brass; the case mouth can be a little rough on the inside. When loading new brass I wipe a slight amount of case lube on the powder funnel with my finger every time the cases start to stick. Works like a charm.

Placing your finger on the powder charged case mouth as it move to the next station will prevent spillage. Seating a bullet, as mentioned earlier, may be an even better solution.

Back
Top Bottom