9mm Magazine question

I was sorting through my 9mm magazines and discovered that the mags for the Sig 226 and the mags for the Beretta 92FS are almost identical. The mag release "cut out" is in a different location, but otherwise they seem to be almost exactly the same. I've got tons of mags for the 92 but few for the 226. Has anyone ever tried to make the cuts in the mags to make them usable for either pistol? This would be cool.

If the feed angle and outside geometry of the mag are the same and there is enough length on the mag to go into the mag well, many mags will work in other guns with slight mods to them. They may not look real pretty but they'll work right.

Some that I know of are Berreta's mags in Marlin Camp Carbine and Suomi mags in the MK760 subgun.

There are also a couple of others that can be modified to fit the M11/9.

Make sure your cuts are accurate.

If the feed angle and outside geometry of the mag are the same and there is enough length on the mag to go into the mag well, many mags will work in other guns with slight mods to them.

The body of each model looks identical in shape and size. The floor plate differs slightly, but the 92 mag fits right into the 226. The followers are exactly the same. I'm thinking of a jig of some sort to position the mag for the additional cut.

A jig may not be necessary. A micrometer and a sharp scribe and a dremel tool and or hacksaw will do the trick.

Measure from a point of reference on the front top of the mag that fits the gun and transpose those measurements to the new mag to be fitted.

Measure twice, cut once.

It's better to cut the hole/groove smaller and refine the opening a little at a time, trying each fit so it doesn't end up sloppy and oversized. Also be sure to deburr the inside of the cut so the follower doesn't hang up on it. A sharp razor knife, exacto blade or small file should do it.

A few dummy rounds would be good to have to check for function after the cuts are made. Also look for any sign of the slide rubbing on the feed lips.

If you are careful, you should have no problems refitting a mag for its new host.

Back
Top Bottom