9mm "Brass" Warning

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
Due to skyrocketing ammo prices, I've finally decided to start loading 9mm.

Tonight I was sorting a bunch of range brass that I'd previously collected and tumbled. In addition to setting aside the crimped cases and picking out the occasional .380 and .38 Super, I passed a rare earth magnet over the bin and...

... a whole bunch of shiny, brass-colored cases jumped up onto it.

In all, I found over 100 brass-plated steel cases, all with an S&B headstamp. These look exactly like the all brass S&B cases.

I figured I'd give you all a heads-up.

NOTE: As an added precaution, I've taped a strong magnet onto the tube that runs from my case feeder to the shellplate.

Due to skyrocketing ammo prices, I've finally decided to start loading 9mm.

Tonight I was sorting a bunch of range brass that I'd previously collected and tumbled. In addition to setting aside the crimped cases and picking out the occasional .380 and .38 Super, I passed a rare earth magnet over the bin and...

... a whole bunch of shiny, brass-colored cases jumped up onto it.

In all, I found over 100 brass-plated steel cases, all with an S&B headstamp. These look exactly like the all brass S&B cases.

I figured I'd give you all a heads-up.

NOTE: As an added precaution, I've taped a strong magnet onto the tube that runs from my case feeder to the shellplate.

Good work, brother. I have always rejected the S&B cases.

That sucks. I've never liked S&W because of thier crimped primer pockets this just makes it more reason to not use any of them.

Let me know how things work out with the LNL with the 9mm rounds. You are using the PTEs right?

PTEs?

EDIT: Oh, Powder Through Expanders.

Nope. Mine is one of the older versions and I haven't upgraded.

Oh. I think the 9mm PTEs are a PITA to adjust anyway. Last time I did a bunch of 9mm I sized/deprimed separate then did the following... I think. I wanted the COP so I had to size/deprime separately.

1 Bell
1.5 Primer
2 Powder
3 Powder COP
4 Seat
5 Crimp

Thanks a ton for the heads up. I know I have some of that in my brass pile. I will have to check it out soon and see how many I can come up with. Guess I will double check all of my .45 brass too, just incase.

Err, how much are you guys paying for 9x19?

I just paid $170 OTD for a case of brass-cased CCI Blazer.

Err, how much are you guys paying for 9x19?

I just paid $170 OTD for a case of brass-cased CCI Blazer.

$70 for 1000 124gr Winchester FMJ bullets
$20 for Powder
$23 for Primers
Cases are free (plus $1.25/pound for the stray CCI cases, which I scrap)

You can't put a value on making the right load for the gun, or on the time I spend teaching my son to reload.

If we have to pay retail, about $200/1000 rounds.

We know ammo is cheaper elsewhere (and so do you). What's your point?

Last edited:
Is your brass boxer or berdan primed?

This stuff is berdan primed according to the description and says its a copper plated steel case.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/9mm.html

Should be easy enough to separate it out, just like Wolf steel cases using the magnet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom