9 mm carbine

garyz

NES Member
what are my options, in mass for a 9mm carbide
first thought it an uzi, which i like, but want to explore other options,
looking for a plinker, just to puch some paper.
not interested in the ruger p9, and i have a feather industries at-9
i'm also on a semi short budget, about $1k or in the general area,
so the bobcat is out, since i've only seen them for $1800.00+/-

any thoughts

thx
garyz

Last edited:
I have a CX-4 and like it. You can change the ejection port and charging handle to the right or left side of the receiver. Plenty of rails for accessories as well.

How about an M1 Carbine, just a suggestion. It's only a little more expensive to get ammo than 9mm these days.

How about an M1 Carbine, just a suggestion. It's only a little more expensive to get ammo than 9mm these days.

Please give me a source for M1 carbine ammo that is less than twice as expensive as WWB!

As for a 9mm carbide, I'd go with Lee. RCBSs are a little harder to tune IMO and I've never used Hornady.

didn't really think about the beretta, have to get a closer look at one
had a keltec sub2k in glock, nice, but little hard to shoulder / aim
was a fun gun to shoot. saw a marlin recently, didn't hit the spot.
thx for the info, have to do some searching

thx
garyz

i have a professional ordanance ar style, sorry, yes i am ashamed
but that's what the budget allowed at the time.
haven't seen a 9mm upper around, don't think i saw one at the marlboro show
either. may not be a bad thought,
too many decisions, not nearly enough money

garyz

garyz...i had this dilemma a few months ago...i wanted either a 9mm ar or mp5 clone...MassMark...a member here talked me into something else

imi model b uzi...i got it almost brand new with 6 mags for $1200...its awesome!

fun and cheap to shoot...accurate as all hell...and preban mags are pretty cheap...go with the uzi and you wont regret it

you can even get a vector uzi for less money but youd have to get one with a fixed stock

Add about $300.00 to your budget and buy an Uzi Model B Carbine...If that doesn't hit the spot, nothing will...

knew youd be right along...haha...seriously though...i hadnt even considered an uzi and massmark talked me into it...some of the best advice ever!

knew youd be right along...haha...seriously though...i hadnt even considered an uzi and massmark talked me into it...some of the best advice ever!

I just love to spend your money my friend! [smile] Did I mention I have extra room in my safe? So, if you need a place for anything, my door is always open... [wink]

Seriously though, there are a lot of options out there and I place the Uzi at the top of the heap. I have owned several 9mm carbines from HK's to Uzis and beyond. A good test of the Uzi is to watch people's reaction when they shoot it for the first time. If IMI was still in business I'd be a top salesman, just by putting a load of mags on a bench and letting people shoot. At the NES Spring Shoot, I did pretty much that. I stuffed my pockets with 25 and 32rd mags and handed them out to anyone who would take them. Shit-eating grins ruled the day....[grin] The Uzi is accurate, robust, reliable and just gaddamned nasty....Cool factor alone is worth the purchase. Guns like the Cx4 are nice I guess, (I was far from impressed), but really - there's just something about an Uzi....

uzi

i had looked at a few uzi. went to fatcats in bridgewater, had one looked
brand new for $1600 little high for me, i think
but zero had 2 in stock, and jim said he had another on the way
all imi. collapsable stock.
that is what i was / am leaning toward, just wanted to know if there was
anything else around. i also like the compactness of the uzi.
thanks for the input, i'll let you know
will the uzi handle steel cased ammo like wolf?

thx
garyz

I think Zero Hour had prices better than the $1600 you mentioned, but a phone call will get you that answer quick enough.

My model A Uzi has eaten just about anything you feed it EXCEPT the Remington stuff that Dick's sells. The Uzi has a massive bolt, and it really requires ammo with some punch to cycle it reliably. As long as the loads are hot enough, I don't think steel case will be any problem. I usually load up on the WWB from Wally World, cheap enough, (about $14.98 per 100 rounds) brass case, and my gun will eat it all day long.

My wife's beloved Beretta Storm 9mm with Bushnell Trophy Red Dot. This is one damn fine carbine. Highly Recommended!!

EggShoot021.jpg

Garyz - I stay away from Wolf steel cased ammo not for any bad experiences in my Uzi, but in other firearms. I buy non-stop Winchester White Box at Wally World in the 100rd shooters pack. Also, if you live in a town with a cool CLEO, you can save up some dough, SBR it and have yourself an even more compact little firebreather... [wink] Keep looking for that Uzi - even put a chunk down and lay it away. New Vector Uzis are cheaper, but problematic. Buy original IMI and have yourself a time....

IMI is the original maker of Uzis? And they are gone? I knew I hadn't heard much about them in last 5ish years. What happened? Did anyone buy their blueprints and or machinery?

IMI is the original maker of Uzis? And they are gone? I knew I hadn't heard much about them in last 5ish years. What happened? Did anyone buy their blueprints and or machinery?

IMI is still around, but they no longer manufacture Uzis for the civilian market which were once imported by Action Arms in PA. Vector still produces Uzis using spare parts, but to my knowledge, there's no one making Uzi receivers in quantity. In my opinion, early Vectors are great guns - current production guns are a crapshoot and a half...

IMI LINK

zha is open till 5 tonight, may have to try to get out of work early
if not, they are open late on thurs
i'll keep everyone advs of what i end up w/
thx for all the info

garyz

Last time I was Up in Hooksett @ Rileys they had 2 Uzi's for about $1200. I did not look if they were model A or model B but either one is worth $1200, also you can find them all the time on GunBroker, but Make sure it is a Pre-Ban IMI, if it has the folding stock. I know IMI did not make any Uzi for import after the Ban, but there were Recievers in the country that people are making into guns now, so just be sure it was built by IMI not Just built on an IMI reciever. Also there is a Ton on info on www.UZITALK.com.. Great Library section.

uzi

went to zero hour this afternoon. as usual, very nice selection
i checked out the beretta storm, while i like the look, and price, just wasnt for me
he also has a preban colt ar w/ a 9mm upper, $1450.00 lots of thought for that
has an uzi, model a and had a model b only visual difference was the sight, (i'm sure there are other differences) the b seemed to have a few less dings.
note the "had" i am the new owner of an uzi, model b. i will get some pics up w/i the next day or so.
thanks for all the info and sugestions, the uzi had the look , feel, and almost price that
i wanted, so i got it.

garyz

YES!!!!

went to zero hour this afternoon. as usual, very nice selection
i checked out the beretta storm, while i like the look, and price, just wasnt for me
he also has a preban colt ar w/ a 9mm upper, $1450.00 lots of thought for that
has an uzi, model a and had a model b only visual difference was the sight, (i'm sure there are other differences) the b seemed to have a few less dings.
note the "had" i am the new owner of an uzi, model b. i will get some pics up w/i the next day or so.
thanks for all the info and sugestions, the uzi had the look , feel, and almost price that
i wanted, so i got it.

garyz

CONGRATS!!! Another convert! [cheers] Nice choice with the Model B - not much difference except much better sights.....Now you need mags - lots of them. Drop me a PM....Way to go! We need to have an Uzi Volley at the next NES Shoot! Let's skip the bayonet charge though.... [wink]

i'm an idiot

ok, stripped cleaned, scrubbed , and oiled. took it to the range today
my stupidity, i only brought 200 rds of ammo. w/ 3 25rd mags.
still have the smile on my face, really fun gun to shoot.
1 ftf only out of 200 rounds. i was shooting the remington umc that dicks has on sale,
not a problem at all.
Masmark, pm sent about mags
couple of things
does anyone know where i can get a front rail for an uzi and a mag loader.
also, what is the trick to cocking the uzi so i don't dig my hand, or is that just the way the uzi is? either way, real fun to shoot, recoil was minimal at best and it was a blast to shoot.
glad i went w/ the uzi.

thx to all for the input

garyz

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom