8mm mauser info ?

mac1911

NES Member
Im looking to buy my first mauser.
Im going with the current ones available with C&R in the sub 350.00 range
I just dont know which way to go
I been seeing a lot of the 24/47s and a few others well with in my range.
This will be a range plinker also.
I am more of a shooting collector than anything elese.

Are there any I should stray away from ?

Last edited:
I'd find a Russian captured German k98. They can be found in that price range. Some arnt the prettiest on outside, but have good barrels. With a Lil TLC be great looking and desirable model shooting mauser

Last edited:
I'd find a Russian captured German k98. They can be found in that price range. Some arnt the prettiest on outside, but have good barrels. With a Lil TLC be great looking and desirable model shooting mauser

What he said. I picked up an awesome CE (sauer and son) K98 from 1944 - still with waffemampts intact. It is a typical RC mismatch, no site hood, cleaning rod, or capture screws - bolt matched itself, but the rest of the parts did not. The bore and barrel were in great condition. The russians painted most of the metal black and shellacked the stock with reddish brown shellac. I plan to strip the paint and shellac (to show off the natural lamiated stock) off soon to bring it back to somewhat original looking condition.

There you have it. A little looking should get you a decent RC. Don't go for looks, go for bore condition. PM me or I can explain further as to manufacturer codes, years, etc.

MS

Like it has been already said, the bore is your main concern. I also wouldnt rule out finding a fabulous barreled action and then mating it up with a correct stock. I recently have done this with a nice S/42G and got the correct stock from Mario in Norway. All said and done I am into the rifle for $380. The Russian captures on the surplus market have been rising in prices considerably for some reason. I am seeing them go for $50 to $75 more than this time last year. Have a little patience and you will find that special rifle.

no rush, just a matter of something like "the new batch of XX on the market have been really good. I have several rifles that on the outside most people would not even look at. I have a bubba 1917 that someone at one time stripped to bare metal then bailed on the project and the surface rustina is aweful......I gave it a quick bath in rust remover and spalshed it with krylon.....its was missing most of the original parts.
Its a great shooter barrel looks brand new...I need a better stock for it. The bubba sporter stock is to loose.
Any how I dont have a mauser in the mix so off I go.

Are there any I should stray away from.

Been coming across
M48 yugo mauser
M24/47 with all the accesoories
I bumped into a few poorly done sporters also for cheap????not really a opption for me unless they have the parts they took off.

Last edited:
If you want a shooter I'd get an un-issued or Exc condition 24/47. A good number of these were never issued or fired and have perfect bores/crowns. Plus you get an accessory package of goodies like ammo pouch, sling, and bayonet. Samco has the best ones but they don't ship to MA C&R holders. They will ship to an 01 FFL though.
The best part about one of the new 24/47s is that you're getting an all #s matching military rifle thats both collectable and a good shooter.

WTF!?!? You all know the rules!! Do not list distributor links again!

Serious question: can somebody please point me to where this rule is stated on the web site or in the forums? I reviewed everything in the Read Before Posting forum. Read the stickies in this forum. Even reviewed the rules I agreed to when registering and I'm coming up empty.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-companies-that-ship-ammo-or-components-to-Ma

although our little conservation had no mention of shipping to mass. So the rule or regulation should be changed to do not mention any shops/vendors/sources of anything on line period.

cut and copy from sticky

List of Companies that ship C+R items/ammo/guns to C+R holders in MA
Now that we have your attention...

No. Don't even ask. If you know, don't post this information openly the forum, and be mindful of who you hand it out to. The AG's office and other various state level pests read posts here. Posting this information can compromise the few sources that may still ship here.

NES policy on this is similar to that posted about ammo/component sources that ship to MA, which is posted here.

Last edited:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-companies-that-ship-ammo-or-components-to-Ma

although our little conservation had no mention of shipping to mass. So the rule or regulation should be changed to do not mention any shops/vendors/sources of anything on line period.
cut and copy from sticky

List of Companies that ship C+R items/ammo/guns to C+R holders in MA
Now that we have your attention...

No. Don't even ask. If you know, don't post this information openly the forum, and be mindful of who you hand it out to. The AG's office and other various state level pests read posts here. Posting this information can compromise the few sources that may still ship here.

NES policy on this is similar to that posted about ammo/component sources that ship to MA, which is posted here.

THIS WAS MY INTENT[crying]. I was trying to help him find the link. I made the mental change as Mac stated. I'll stop trying to help. No shops/vendors/sources period. That's easy to remember.

MS

If you want a shooter I'd get an un-issued or Exc condition 24/47. A good number of these were never issued or fired and have perfect bores/crowns. Plus you get an accessory package of goodies like ammo pouch, sling, and bayonet. Samco has the best ones but they don't ship to MA C&R holders. They will ship to an 01 FFL though.
The best part about one of the new 24/47s is that you're getting an all #s matching military rifle thats both collectable and a good shooter.

Could not agree more. 24/47 are in pristine condition and the bores are perfect. I have seen some RC Mausers that folks thought the bores were clean and shiny. After slugging the barrel they found them shot out. So if you want a target that looks like a shotgun blast you can take your chance on a RC IMO.

Another vote for the 24/47. Another plus are the stocks. Very nice wood, as opposed to the German laminate.

Back
Top Bottom