8mm Mauser Ammo Question

K98

I see 8mm Mauser ammo that is Romanian from the '80's. One crate holds two cans of 340 rounds, 154 grain FMJ lacquered. Obviously corrosive ammo, but what is the average price on this. This crate is $329.50, or .45 cents a round. Is that about the cheapest available?

I bought a case for $300 + shipping on another forum, including the wooden crate. BTW, there's 2 flavors of that romanian. One is 340/can the other is 380/can and the difference is the 340 is on strippers. The case I got was the 380/can variety

Romanian is very sooty and dirty, at least the stuff that I have. Some of the better surplus that I have shot outside of the original WW2 German rounds(the best in my opinion) was the 1960's East German. I haven't seen it for sale in over a year now. It looked like it was made on the original tooling as the original WW2 German stuff.

Egyptian surplus is another one that is not too bad.

Czech surplus can vary widely in powder charge. I never shoot this in my G43's.

I read somewhere that because of the bullet weight that the Romanian was better suited for longer barrels like Gew98s, Turk Mausers, etc.

Can't help you with price data, since I reload most of my 8mm, but I have shot the Romanian fodder. It works fine in my Hakim, even though its bullet is lighter than what I've read it was designed around. Although not an accepted practice, I've reloaded the Romanian steel-cased without issue, too. Same goes for the MKE, earlier Turkish, Yugo and FNM brass cases. These all use the available .217" diameter berdan primers. I find less than maximum loads work best in my Hakim.

My hakim likes the romanian stuff too, better than the heavier 50s yugo ammo I think. I don't find it to be any dirtier than any other surplus 8mm though

I've been asking dealers to find some for me and it's always the shrugged shoulder I dunno look..
cause most dealers dont want to bother if it aint on the shelf...........i have given source and contact info all the had to do was send a copy of their FFL..... nope aint interested....
The best 8mm mauser I have shot to date is the "sniper" stuff. brass cased berdan and corrosive. shoots awesome vs the other surplus fodder I tried. I think its yugo?

I have bought in the past 8 months
yugo 80s production brass cased .51 ea shipped 900 rnd case
yugo 70s steel case on clips .48 ea 680 rnd crate
yugo M75 sniper .69 ea 90s production so said, 900 round case

Last edited:
Yes, I had a tin or two of the 1950's 196gr Yugo, with strippers, too. You couldn't give it away back a few years ago. Most of it I pulled, reduced the charge and fired off in the Egyptian.
If you really have a tough time finding it, bring your rifle(s) down and we can load up some and shoot 100 meters onsite. I have some tracers, too, but I don't know if they'll light off enough at 100 meters to even notice. I'd love that they are the multi-colored range indicating tracers, but I don't want to set the woods afire to find out.
I have ample reloads, plenty of .323" bullets, but very few empties, so bring whatever brass you have (even .217" berdan-primed brass and steel).
With your bolter anything from 125gr to 220 grain should work, just as long as they make it out the barrel! I'd think a 98 would be a great cast bullet shooter and you can shoot all day with some moderate loads. I've always entertained buying a Portuguese Mauser (Model 1904/M39) for cast bullets...
No molds here for 8mm, but there is a shop across the state that carries the Saeco 190gr LRNGC bullet.

Last edited:
Collectors in Merrimack, NH had Romanian 340 rnd spam cans for $199 last week. Used to be a $100.00, but either pay or don't shoot the Mausers and that would be a shame!

My rifles are being fed a diet of SMK 200 grs HPBT before 46 grs of VV N140. That's while the Portuguese FNM and 50's/70's Yugo stay stacked deep for the Zombie/Ebola/whatever invasion.

Really? Every time I had 50s era Yugo on stripper clips in the classifieds I never got any offers.

I wouldn't put that stuff anywhere near my rifles. When it was cheap I'd buy it for pennies and pull the bullets for reloading.

Now the Romanian is good if sooty. I shot that stuff in my Hakim...it's just difficult to tune the gas port for due to the pressure curve. 80s Yugo is my favorite milsurp 8mm. Other than that I reload.

175 gr Sierra ProHunter.
48gr IMR 4064
Your favorite Large Rifle Primer

That is the center of a sweet spot for 8mm Mauser rifles. Works very well in all of my Kar98k's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom