8lb largemouth????

That's big for this latitude. Not a state record, but eligible for a sportfishing award. For largemouth, you get a pin for 7lb largemouth. For kids, it's 4lb.

8 lb bass

I did a 6 lb 12 oz bass and it took me 6 years of hard fishing to up that to a 7 lb 13 oz, of which I measured and took a picture, and let go. Had a beautiful fiberglass mount made, and with the artistic airbrushing, you could never tell it was not a real one. [bow]

definitely deserves a high-5... but I would never do anything but release with freshwater bass.

I've fished freshwater a lot since I was 14 and have never gotten a bass that big.... hopefully my new Cobra FND fixes that this year ;)

8 lbs is a huge bass in New England. I would never kill one that big but I would get a replica mount done!

+1 Let it go and hopefully it will get even bigger. The short seasons up here doesn't allow most fish to get that big. Only the strongest, smartest and most aggressive fish will reach that level, we need their genes to be past on.

I was fishing with my brothers about 10 years ago in the upper Charles. I was in a boat with one brother and my other brother was in another boat. My brother in the other boat was with his friend, laughing, yelling, banging around and making more noise than I would think anybody could make. He's the fisherman with three of everything. His buddy caught a 7.5#er and my brother caught an 8#er. They both stuffed them, but my brother's buddy is color blind and his bass turned out maroon.

The lower Charles in the area of Boston has some huge bass.

I caught a 6lber in the Charles at twin cove in Waltham using a spinnerbait. Thought it was a pike at first. Skinny fish, if it was pre-spawn it would have been 8+.

Then again there are stripers in the charles too.

I've pulled 6 pound largemouths out of bog ponds, with 6 1/2 the biggest and would say 8 is definitely trophy.

Definitely better to return a big fish though. Come spawn when males are protecting beds and frye, big fish will easily scare off and devour predator fish like bluegills and perch that come in to feed off the spawn beds.

For that reason I won't fish beds during the spawn because as soon as you hook that male and pull it away from eggs or frye, you risk chance of it not returning and leaving a generation of bass to most likely be killed off.

Last edited:
The biggest I ever caught was a hair under 13lbs. The largest in Mass was 9-1/2 lbs (on 4lb line). I've never kept one.

I've been fortunate to catch several fish around 8 pounds. My Largest here in Masssachusetts is 10 pounds 4 Ounces, which I caught in my back yard from shore at night using black spinnerbaits. My first big fish was when I was 12 and caught a 6 pound 4 ounce at Lake Mirimichi in Plainville in 1962, and got an Outdoor Life Honor badge for it. It was the only one of my trophy fish I kept, and I still have it mounted in my Man Cave.

when i get one over 8lbs theres no way in hell im going to release her. ive been fishing too long to let it go. im not into the fiberglass mount at all. so all you hunters that are looking for a trophy kill,will you go to the toy store and buy a stuffed animal of what you shot??? i think not.

when i get one over 8lbs theres no way in hell im going to release her. ive been fishing too long to let it go. im not into the fiberglass mount at all. so all you hunters that are looking for a trophy kill,will you go to the toy store and buy a stuffed animal of what you shot??? i think not.

Bass taste like dirt. Deer taste delicious. Bass dont die when you hook them. Deer tend to die when you shoot them. [thinking] Releasing deer is not a very logical choice.

Todays replica mounts, made to the exact measurments and coloration of your fish, are better looking, longer lasting than skin mounts and less expensive. There is no logical reason to remove such a trophy fish from the gene pool. That 8 pounder could grow up to be a 10, 11 or even a state record.

Back
Top Bottom