• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% lower milling

Anyone know where i can get a 80%lower milled out to accept a trigger group I would rather a PM with this info or if someone themselves do it I will obliviously compensate thanks for the help.

Bump.

Also looking at 80% lowers, but what's the draw vs. buying a stripped lower, other than the price? How much time/effort does it take to finish that last 20% (assuming I don't have the tools)? If I don't care about doing it myself, would I be better off just buying either a stripped or complete lower? I assume there's no AWB benefits to buying an 80%, right?

Also looking at 80% lowers, but what's the draw vs. buying a stripped lower, other than the price? Well, there are a few obscure situations where starting with a 80% will make the end project easier, but this applies to 0.01% of most shooters. The draw for me is I like doing this sort of thing, even if it didn't have a useful end product.

How much time/effort does it take to finish that last 20% (assuming I don't have the tools)? Too damn much. If you're thinking of buying tools to finish one 80% lower, then don't. It will not be anywhere near as effective as your next question. On the other hand, if you saw the 80%ers and thought it a perfect excuse to buy a mill, drill press, etc, then it's a perfect project for you!

If I don't care about doing it myself, would I be better off just buying either a stripped or complete lower? Yes. If you're thinking about getting into putting ARs together, a stripped lower and a lower parts kit is the perfect place to start. It's all assembly work, not metal work; and the tools needed are along the lines of punches and a hammer, not a milling machine.

I assume there's no AWB benefits to buying an 80%, right? None. Unless you have a time machine to bring it back to 1993 to finish it.

Also looking at 80% lowers, but what's the draw vs. buying a stripped lower, other than the price? Well, there are a few obscure situations where starting with a 80% will make the end project easier, but this applies to 0.01% of most shooters. The draw for me is I like doing this sort of thing, even if it didn't have a useful end product.

How much time/effort does it take to finish that last 20% (assuming I don't have the tools)? Too damn much. If you're thinking of buying tools to finish one 80% lower, then don't. It will not be anywhere near as effective as your next question. On the other hand, if you saw the 80%ers and thought it a perfect excuse to buy a mill, drill press, etc, then it's a perfect project for you!

If I don't care about doing it myself, would I be better off just buying either a stripped or complete lower? Yes. If you're thinking about getting into putting ARs together, a stripped lower and a lower parts kit is the perfect place to start. It's all assembly work, not metal work; and the tools needed are along the lines of punches and a hammer, not a milling machine.

I assume there's no AWB benefits to buying an 80%, right? None. Unless you have a time machine to bring it back to 1993 to finish it.

Perfect, thanks.

(note to self: don't tell anyone about the time machine you invented...)

Yeah, you don't finish 80% lowers to save money. You can buy a stripped lower for about $70. Most 80% lowers go for that or more. A great deal on an 80% lower would be $50. A couple of drill bits and you have bought a 100% stripped lower.

It's more about the satisfaction of finishing it yourself. Being in MA, there is no other advantage if you are following all of our laws.

They can be finished using a crappy benchtop drill press, a cheap jig, and an end mill. I've recently done a few. The first was pretty ugly, but it works. They got better as I went along. I didn't save any money, I spilled some blood, but I had fun doing them.

Does your time machine look like this? Believe me, it won't work. I tried.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the other hand, if you saw the 80%ers and thought it a perfect excuse to buy a mill, drill press, etc, then it's a perfect project for you!

What kind of money we talking about for this. Think, real basic set up.

I'm a clumsy baboon when it comes to hard skills like this, but my son is pretty good and really likes fabrication. What am I looking at for a beginners basic set of equipment (sorry if that is a dumb question)?

I have a micro mill and can honestly say just buy a lower.
You will drop $500 on a small mill and then close to double that for tooling. Then you start breaking things before you learn to make things.

If you want to use it as a hobby, start at about $1k for a basic setup. However, I would recommend a lathe to start learning on (just not useful for lowers)

You can finish these with a drillpress and basic tools. Check out

www.weaponsguild.com

Join up and post a few comments, input and questions. There's all sorts of tutorials for different gun builds and this (AR 80% lower) is detailed quite well. The site is loaded with gun builders and machinists.

There are community jigs available for loan from the Ares Armor Group buy.
Contact Golddiggie here on NES. We also know someone with a Bridgeport
with DROs. We have been running about 1 hour to process a lower on it,
My little mill the best I could do is about 2 hours. Others were running 3+.
I still have to install the DROs on my Mill before it gets used again.

Malodave

.... However, I would recommend a lathe to start learning on (just not useful for lowers)

A lathe with a milling attachment is a very versatile setup - could easily do a lower with one.

A small vintage Atlas or South Bend lathe & milling attachment would be a great setup for moderate amounts of home gunsmithing, for not too much $$

I just picked up 2 lowers a week ago for $42 each plus shipping. Broken armory jig, x y milling vise and all the bits. Now I just have to find a decent drill press or a buddy with one to give it a shot.

Anyone know where i can get a 80%lower milled out to accept a trigger group I would rather a PM with this info or if someone themselves do it I will obliviously compensate thanks for the help.

About a year and a half ago the ATF cracked down on build parties and CNC shops were prohibited from allowing customers to rent their machines. The ATF expanded and "clarified" their position further in their January 2, 2015 letter. Anyone planning on allowing others to use their tools to finish lowers, should read this letter first. Here is the link:

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fi...ling-2015-1-manufacturing-and-gunsmithing.pdf

We have customers that are finishing lowers using our Easy Jig in under an hour. Keep in mind this is after doing a few of them. First timers will take longer to finish their first one. Our jig uses a router and has built in depth gauges which makes it much faster and much more fool proof compared to the traditional jigs where you use a drill press to mill the lower. With our jig you can finish your lower with a hand drill and a low cost compact laminate router.

This thread is a little old but the January 2nd 2015 ATF letter is something anyone planning on doing a build party should now be aware of.

For anyone interested , harbor freight has their mini mill on sale for $599.00 and with a 20% coupon for month of April It will be $479.99 good price I think.

That is a great price - its also R8 unlike the grizzly (Morse #3) so tooling is a lot easier and cheaper to get

Just be prepared to spend a few hours per lower on that mill. Maybe more without good DROs.

If you use a jig to drill out the bulk or just print out the centers on paper and glue, it won't actually take that long.

Did mine on a micro-mill (much smaller) without a jig or DROs and could probably do it in 1.5 hours now that I've done it once and much less if I had a jig.

I use a couple of sets of digital calipers to make a poor mans DRO (zero them between the edge of the table and a fixed point for relative position).

I've been wanting to do an 80% lower for some time now. In my basement I have a Bridgeport Milling machine with a 36" table and a 10" swing lathe along with belt sanders, buffers, etc. I would think a lower would be pretty damn easy! That being said I've always been too lazy to procure a lower and borrow a jig :)

anybody do one of the 80% polymer lowers with a dremel. i was thinking it would be an easy if somebody wants an off the books rifle.

I've been wanting to do an 80% lower for some time now. In my basement I have a Bridgeport Milling machine with a 36" table and a 10" swing lathe along with belt sanders, buffers, etc. I would think a lower would be pretty damn easy! That being said I've always been too lazy to procure a lower and borrow a jig :)
No need for a jig - just mill up a couple of plates to hold the lower.

I think the plans I used were from ray-vin

Anyone know the real law on the 80% lowers? I heard from the local CLEO that once you mill it out you have manufactured a firearm. He says its a big no-no.

I could write a book on laws that cops don't know...No offense to any LEO...Gun law is tricky and I don't expect them to know it.

Back
Top Bottom