80% lower milling

Anyone know the real law on the 80% lowers? I heard from the local CLEO that once you mill it out you have manufactured a firearm. He says its a big no-no.

I could write a book on laws that cops don't know...No offense to any LEO...Gun law is tricky and I don't expect them to know it.

plenty of others will jump in as this has been discused to death, but...
as long as it is for personal use only you are golden with manufacturing a firearm (that dosnt violate any other state or local laws, so you cant build a mass AWB or a select fire weapon). You can even sell it if you put a serrial number on it, but if you make buisness of selling them you become a manufacter. Where the line is between selling one that you made and got tired of and selling hundreds as a buisness is up to the ATF agents that decided to kick down your door (the safe bet is to never sell anything you make yourself)

Anyone know the real law on the 80% lowers? I heard from the local CLEO that once you mill it out you have manufactured a firearm. He says its a big no-no.

I could write a book on laws that cops don't know...No offense to any LEO...Gun law is tricky and I don't expect them to know it.

Federal law, on firearms manufacturing.

From: https://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf
9. May I lawfully make a firearm for my own personal use, provided it is not being made forresale?
Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the GCAprovided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving orpossessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semiautomaticrifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as set forth in regulations in 27 C.F.R. 478.39. Inaddition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF. Anapplication to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showingthat the firearm is being made for the official use of a Federal, State, or local government agency (18U.S.C. § 922(o),(r); 26 U.S.C. § 5822; 27 C.F.R. §§ 478.39, 479.62, and 479.105).

Local laws may be different, but it is not a violation of federal law to manufacture a firearm for personal use.

As others have said, there is nothing illegal about manufacturing your own firearms for personal use. You do need to make sure that you have the proper license to posess whatever you make here in MA.

The more interesting question in my mind involves the need to file an eFA-10 on a homemade gun. There have been debates here and elsewhere. The eFA-10 system is designed for transfer of ownership. If you build a gun, there is no transfer of ownership. I think a lot of folks do it just to be safe, but is it really required by law?

I heard from the local CLEO that once you mill it out you have manufactured a firearm.

He says its a big no-no.

The bolded part is certainly true. The rest is typical uninformed (or intentionally misleading) CLEO BS.

Last edited:

I'll bet he tells you a lot of things are illegal that are not.

As for the bolded part. I DO expect him to know the laws he is charged with enforcing. It's kind of their job.

Back
Top Bottom