80% 10/22 Receiver

Good Afternoon
Anyone tried to build a 10/22 from one of the 80% receivers? I purchased two of them 4 or 5 years a go before my Dad died. It was a project that I was planning on doing with him. It would be fun for the two of us to bump heads on; he worked for Grumman and was a very German and anal retentive in his work and workmanship. I am a little more relaxed.
Anyway I got mine from Tanner Industries and want to see if anyone had any luck building there own
Thanks for the input
Tackleberry

Last edited:
Now there is a group buy idea.[grin]

10/22s are super easy to work on and you can build one that shoots great for fairly cheap money. Or you can spend hundreds and build one that is match grade.

I ordered a stainless 10/22 and AR15 80% from the Tannery Shop September of last year, still don't have them. The impression I've got is that this would be business as usual - what you've ordered will show up, eventually, and is usually well made, but don't hold your breath. The last status update I heard was that the blanks were at the heat treating shop, waiting for a gap in their big production runs.

It has given me more time to accumulate parts for the project, at least. It certainly is a cost effective alternative to the 10/22 target receivers the aftermarket sells completed. Can't wait to see mine.

The wait has also tempted me to see if I can make one from Al billet. That's probably way over my head in terms of machining skills, but I'm sure I'd learn a lot from that. I'd just have to make sure I buy enough spare chunks of Al to cover my inevitable mistakes.

The wait has also tempted me to see if I can make one from Al billet. That's probably way over my head in terms of machining skills, but I'm sure I'd learn a lot from that. I'd just have to make sure I buy enough spare chunks of Al to cover my inevitable mistakes.

And if they work, just make sure you have enough to supply a hungry and eager group buy from NESrs wanting to build tricked out 10/22s. [wink]

The Tannery Shop still lists them.
I was thinking of doing one a while back.

Tannery Shop had major ATF problems... I think about a year ago. The dude who ran the place would run "build parties" where he would put your 80% lower into a CNC machine, and he would let you press the big green button. ATF didn't like that at all. Last I knew, all his inventory had been confiscated, and he was no longer in the business.

--EasyD

Tannery Shop had major ATF problems... I think about a year ago. The dude who ran the place would run "build parties" where he would put your 80% lower into a CNC machine, and he would let you press the big green button. ATF didn't like that at all. Last I knew, all his inventory had been confiscated, and he was no longer in the business.

--EasyD

I believe that was Rick Celata of KT ordnance that got raided by the ATF for his build party and BBQ event.

For what a complete 10/22 costs or even a new stripped reciever for that matter, it's more cost efficient to start with a regular Ruger one from the get-go.

For what a complete 10/22 costs or even a new stripped reciever for that matter, it's more cost efficient to start with a regular Ruger one from the get-go.

Well, it depends on what you're looking for in a 10/22.

Volquartsen 10/22 Reciever

M.O.A. Corp 10/22 Receiver

At some point in modifying anything, getting that last 5% of potential performance requires throwing cost efficiency out the window.

Ok I have looked over my 10/22@80% receivers and found two things. I am in way over my head and for me to do the job correctly I need to purchase a milling machine.
I will be placeing my receivers on WTT/WTS.

Milling Machine

I have a milling machine looking for a good home. Arrangements for small jobs for trade items might be possible. Any special cutters or tooling will need to be provided or can be ordered. I will need to get a gunsmith FFL approved first.

Last edited:
The Tannery Shop no longer sells the Ruger 10/22 80% receiver. They had some AFT issues and have been very cautious about what they sell and do. I don't think they even sell the AR 80% receivers any more. That was what they got in trouble for in the first place. There is a real nice Ruger 10/22 replacement receiver on the market . It is machined from billet aluminum and looks very cool. Select Fire makes it. its called the RAZOR! http://www.ruger1022receiver.com. I don't care what anyone says, building your own gun is a rush. Putting your own serial number on the receiver makes it a personal treasure. Select Fire provides a print layout with all the hole locations and drill sizes. In addition, they send an instructional sheet to help in the build process. Very simple and easy, no milling, just a lot of drilling and hand fitting.

I always believed that guns are an investment and the nicer it is the more it will be worth. Plus, I want my firearms to out-live me and the people I leave them to. Purchase crap and that is what you have!

Last edited:
What a beautiful receiver [rockon] ! If I had any idea what I were doing, any skills and any of the tools required (drill press / tap & dies) I'd love to build a 10/22! For $120 for the receiver alone it seems like you could pick up a new 10/22 cheaper than building but where's the fun in that [wink].

Back
Top Bottom