7.62x39 rifles, what is out there?

I am a huge AK lover and as a result, i have a quantity of 7.62. I want to get myself a rifle but haven't found it in the sks. Its nice but i just don't love them. I am considering a rasheed, but would like to at least hold one first. Are there any other options out there worth looking into?

Ruger Mini-30 maybe? I haven't shot one, but I know a guy who has one. I can try and borrow it and let you run with it at the club. Let me know.

Edit: oops, milsurps section. It was early in the morning when I posted, I am gonna claim a brain cramp.....

Last edited:
Since you're posting in this section, I'm assuming you're looking for a milsurp. My 7.62x39 guns include an Egyptian Rasheed and a Czech Vz 52/57. If you're going to Holbrook tomorrow, I can bring them.

there are three bolt rifles that are not surplus and can take 7.62x39:

Remington Model 799 Mini Mauser close copy of the Gewehr 98

CZ-USA Sells "micro length Mauser style"

Savage Arms has their own bolt action rifle in 7.62×39mm caliber - Model: 10 FCM Scout.

and of course AR-clones like Sig 516 Russian and the Sig 556r are chambered in 7.62x39mm

also i've heard but haven't personally seen of people modifying CETME/G3 to take 7.62x39. it said to be a super pleasant shooter with almost sub-gun-like recoil and very accurate.

Last edited:
Definitely check out the VZ58. I picked up the Cenury variant, VZ2008, for ~$400, about half the price of a Czechpoint VZ58. It's an awesome rifle. I shoot it alot more than my SKS these days.

If your looking for a bolt action new production there are some nice ones coming in from the former Yugoslavia. They have them in 223, 308, 7.62x39 and 3006.
I have one on back order. I want a bolt action in that caliber and not and Military semi.
But the VZ is nice. You can also buy a Spanish Mauser which has been converted to 308 and buy a sleeve for the barrel that converts it to 7.62x39. The only other modification is to the magazine. They have them at Brownells and folks have been using them for years with no reported issues.

I am a huge AK lover and as a result, i have a quantity of 7.62.

I'm going on a limb here, get a belted RPD, I don't know if you'd like it, but it will definitely solve your problem of having too much ammo in 7.62 [rofl]

rpd1.jpg

not my gun, just stole an image somewhere. [frown]

yeah, I just shit myself thinking that you had built one.

Same here. I was expecting a thread in the Build It section with Boris talking about getting an idea on how to make use of an old washing machine and end table he was junking and turning them into an RPD.

I'm going on a limb here, get a belted RPD, I don't know if you'd like it, but it will definitely solve your problem of having too much ammo in 7.62 [rofl]

rpd1.jpg

not my gun, just stole an image somewhere. [frown]
Hmm perhaps that can be next? Cant be harder that the current project. And after all, whats better than one home made belt fed? 2 home made belt feds! [laugh]

It would appear that i will end up with a russian SKS after all this. I saw one and i have a crush so i might be bringing her home.

Last edited:
Zero Hour had a semi auto RPD last time I was in. About 2500.00, if I recall correctly. Seems like a bunch for a semi-auto, but considering what you'd pay for a semi-auto "m-60", its not out of the world expensive..

Back
Top Bottom