• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.62x39 AR-15

Rock river makes an AR lower that uses AK mags - the LAR47.

rra_lar47_009.jpg

that's interesting. looks like you also need their proprietary upper, which isn't a deal breaker. Also, these aren't being sold yet, only taking pre-orders.

Moopey, are you located in MA? If you are not in MA or if you don't care about high cap mags then why not just build it up using standard AR parts. The BCG and Barrel's are made by YHM for a fair price and these mags work great. They come in 10 rounders for peasants and standard capacity 30 rounders for the free people. 7.62x39 Magazine 30rd : AR-15/M16 Magazines | Brownells Also, don't forget that hammer spring that I mentioned, light strikes without it.

Do you have a forearm/hand guard yet? If not, I have a midlength set for sale in the classifieds. It's YHM-5004A smooth, with rail on top full length, and on the sides/bottom quarter length at the front...... Comes with the barrel nut, anti rotation screw and locking nut.

Moopey, are you located in MA? If you are not in MA or if you don't care about high cap mags then why not just build it up using standard AR parts. The BCG and Barrel's are made by YHM for a fair price and these mags work great. They come in 10 rounders for peasants and standard capacity 30 rounders for the free people. 7.62x39 Magazine 30rd : AR-15/M16 Magazines | Brownells Also, don't forget that hammer spring that I mentioned, light strikes without it.

I'm not sure I follow what your asking. I am using standard AR parts where I can and 7.62x39 specific AR pars where needed, which is basically the bolt, magazines and barrels. I was able to grab some AR stoner 7.62 mags which have received decent reviews. I'll check out the mags you linked to though. Thanks.

Do you have a forearm/hand guard yet? If not, I have a midlength set for sale in the classifieds. It's YHM-5004A smooth, with rail on top full length, and on the sides/bottom quarter length at the front...... Comes with the barrel nut, anti rotation screw and locking nut.

I found your classified. That hand guard isn't what I had in mind, sorry. Best of luck with the sale though.

I thought you might have been leaning towards getting a lower that will take ak mags. Only benefit I see that is of you live in a nanny state, you could use preban ak mags.

You have it down right. Just the bolt and barrel and mag are different. You might want to look into the hammer spring too per my previous posting.

Those asc mags feed great. They might need to be broken in per other feedback but ive never had an issue. If you live in a free state you can get them in standard capacity 30 round fashion.

Sent from my phone, blame auto spell for the havked ip words...

Well I finally pulled the trigger on the last piece I need to finish this build, which was the barrel. I wanted to keep the rifle all YHM, so I ordered their 16" chrome lined and fluted barrel. I wasn't a big fan of the fluted, but it's all they've have in stock for a while so I said screw it. It's growing on me a little.

I tossed it together just to see how she'd look. I need to bring it to the gun smith to make it MA compliant. I'm hoping to be able to test fire it soon. I may order the forged hammer spring and enhanced firing pin some people have recommended in the mean time.

now for the pics...
7.62(1).jpg 7.62(2).jpg 7.62(3).jpg

Well I finally pulled the trigger on the last piece I need to finish this build, which was the barrel. I wanted to keep the rifle all YHM, so I ordered their 16" chrome lined and fluted barrel. I wasn't a big fan of the fluted, but it's all they've have in stock for a while so I said screw it. It's growing on me a little.

I tossed it together just to see how she'd look. I need to bring it to the gun smith to make it MA compliant. I'm hoping to be able to test fire it soon. I may order the forged hammer spring and enhanced firing pin some people have recommended in the mean time.

now for the pics...
View attachment 97153View attachment 97154View attachment 97155
Looking good! Get that done and go to the range!!!

Werd. Need to find some magpul sights this weekend. I think I'll use this AR as my test for the Vortex red dot I purchased around christmas.

Dropped the rifle off at the smith this morning. He seemed a little surprised by the caliber. I told him I wanted to shoot cheap ammo and wanted a project. He warned about the bullet material of Tula and Brown Bear type ammo mucking up the barrel rifling pretty bad.

I told him I'd keep an eye on it. But my question is, AK's shoot that stuff all the time. Do they get got all f'd up too?

As an alternate to the AK or the AR, I bought a Sig 556R, which is an AR-like piston rifle in 7.62x39, and I am really happy with it.

We'll I finally got to take this rifle out to the range today. Overall I am very happy with the way it performed. Did a short break in session and then spent some time sighting in my red dot. I might have had 1 or 2 light strikes, so I'm going to look into stronger springs and maybe the enhanced firing pin.

No issues feeding with the AR stoner 10 round magazines.

Back
Top Bottom