• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.62x39 AR-15

Since I have some lowers burning a hole in my safe, I've decided that my next build will be a 7.62x39 caliber rifle. It's a YHM lower, so I'm going to try and stick with as much YHM parts as I can depending on availability, which isn't great right now. I also don't want to break the bank with this build as I kind of did that with my .308 rifle.

I have a couple questions though.

- Is there a certain twist I should look for when purchasing a barrel? I like the appeal of cheap ammo for this rifle, so I'll probably be shooting a lot of wolf or other russian rounds if this matters.

- Any recommendations for bolts? I've seen the MGI bolt and enhanced firing pin but have read mixed reviews on the bolts and I haven't seen them in stock anywhere. Sota Arms sells bolts and carriers separate and right now is the only option I see. Is Sota Arms a decent manufacturer? I would also contemplate using their barrels if a YHM one is unavailable.

I've also read that magazines aren't as plentiful and can be fickle. Any personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Is recommend you check out 300blackout instead. You only change the barrel and keep bolt and mags. It really only makes sense if you can reload and make your ammo from 223 cases though. YMMV!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If you want to shoot 7.62x39, build/buy an AK.
If you want to shoot similar in an AR, buy/build out a .300BLK.
If you have plenty of $$$ to burn, disregard the above and buy all of the above.
If you run out of money, go on EBT. Quicker we crash the system, quicker we can rebuild and do things the right way.

I like the idea of 7.62x39 because of ammo availability. I'll buy an AK eventually. Right now I'm on an AR kick.

I don't reload currently. I'd like to get into at some point though. So I'm hesitant to get into the .300 BLK at this point. I have a lower set aside for a 5.56 SBR build. I've yet to file with the ATF. But I'm wondering if the .300 BLK would be a better option?

I didn't realize .300 BLK could be made from re-purposed .223 casings. that was pretty cool to see.

Just curious. If you have a lower thats marked 5.56 and you use a 7.62x39 upper for your build, what caliber do you list on the fa-10?

Had the 7.62x39 bug and tried a couple of different routes and was told that the 7.62 won't feed in the AR platform and the bolt assembly won't stand up to long term use as the lugs will eventually crack. Go the 300 BLK route you'll be able to use the same bolt and mags as the 223 the only difference is caliber. I have a Noveske upper in 300 and it has worked fine with all the 10,20 and 30 Round AR mags that I have. Made a couple thousand brass case from surplus 223 cases with a form die and sawsall.

I didn't realize .300 BLK could be made from re-purposed .223 casings. that was pretty cool to see.

[video=youtube_share;araBL2LX9pk]http://youtu.be/araBL2LX9pk[/video]

300blk is supposed to preform better then 556 out of short barrels. I intend to get a real short 300blk upper when I SBR a lower.

BARRELS ? Inot sure if they are still or will continue to manufacture them but YHM had 762x39 uppers for a bit...seems like they just have some barrels at the moment.
Thanks for the link. I see they have 16" barrels also.

300blk is supposed to preform better then 556 out of short barrels. I intend to get a real short 300blk upper when I SBR a lower.

That's interesting. I may look into this more when it comes time to build my SBR. I have to stop procrastinating and fill out the ATF paperwork.

One another note, the mail man brought me a present today. 7.62 Upper&Lower.jpg No turning back now! I've had the lower for a while but came across the upper on gunbroker last week. The seller was awesome and it was reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Not trying to be a dick to anyone, but I don't want an AK. I don't want .300 BLK. I'm building this rifle around the 7.62x39 caliber. That's what I started this thread to discuss. I was also adamantly told that I couldn't handle a .308 build as my first one. After a little trial and error that one turned out just fine.

Hey man, I don't want to be a PITA like everyone else, and even after your last thread, I still feel like I have to chime in...

I would seriously reconsider. My shooting buddy has built a lot of ARs and he was getting bored and wanted something new so we both throught 7.62x39 would be a good idea. Same thoughts as you: cheaper ammo, etc, etc.

It has been nothing but problems and is so frustrating to use. And just to note, from the get-go, he spent the extra cash to get good quality parts and didn't cut corners or anything. YHM barrel (the fluted one) and BCG. Improved firing pin. All that.

The big problem is that those tapered rounds are not made to feed in a straight line like the AR magwell. No matter what we try, this thing misfeeds all the time. He has spent a ton of money trying different brands of mags, different sizes, etc, etc. We try to load just a few rounds in a mag, all different things. Sometimes this helps if we only load a few rounds in, but then sometimes it still fails to feed and gets all jammed up.

Not to mention, a lot of the mags are terrible in general. One day, two different brands broke after just a few times being loaded.

Supposedly Magpul is coming out with a 7.62x39 mag for ARs. Maybe they will be better?

And then there is the fact that you are feeding surplus Russian ammo into a DI system. It is super dirty and makes a mess of the BCG and everything involved. He started trying the Fiocci and Winchester brass cased 7.62, but that kinda eliminates the "shoot cheap ammo" idea of the rifle.

He wicked regrets it, and its been a total money pit. Looks real nice with the ACOG on top though...I think that's going to be moved to a more deserving rifle pretty soon.

Anyways, if you're still going to do it, I think you're overthinking the twist rate. Get the barrel you can, at the price you're willing to pay and it will stabilize the bullet. 1:9, 1:10 definitely ok, and I haven't heard of any problems with the 1:12 Colts either. All the YHMs are 1:9 I believe. Some in stock too.

BCGs I would just get what you can and don't worry too much. The 7.62x39s are pretty tough to find lately. YHM, Rguns, etc are out there. Check Gunbroker. You might be able to pick one up now for a reasonable deal. Or check the equipment exchange on arfcom.

I've read about the franken-AR's in 7.62x39 not running right. That said, I have a Colt 7.62x39 HBAR flat top upper (complete with Colt matched BCG, detachable carry handle etc - Colt sold the conversion uppers a while back) sitting on a Anvil Arms lower. It has never given me the slightest problem. Those Colt sporter conversion kits, if you can find them, will run you upwards of $900.

Matty,
Thank you for input, it's what I want to see. I'm all for reading first or second experiences. All I want to avoid is the "buy a different gun" or "use a different caliber".

I did some research over the weekend. Some of the info was contradicting for bolts and magazines. I read posts about MGI bolts breaking and then other posts saying they've never had an issue. I did find out that LMT supposedly made one of the most reliable bolts for 7.62x39 but it was reported that they stopped making them and were only selling what was in stock. I called LMT this morning and they are out of stock....bummer. From my reading, I think the Armalite bolt might be the next best option. They are currently out of stock on their website and I have yet to search elsewhere. Sota Arms does offer a 7.62x39 BCG for $139 but I haven't found any reviews yet.

As for magazine issues, I again found some contradicting info. Some people would bash one brand while others praised them (c-products for example). AR stoner 10 round magazines seemed to get pretty good reviews. I'd probably start with these.

As for cycling issues, a few people on AR15.com and you tube reported fixing the issue by modifying the feed ramps by using a dremel to either make them wider or change the angle to improve how the round is cycled into the chamber.

There are also instructions on how to modify the firing pin if using surplus ammo, but I'd probably just purchase an MGI or model 1 enhanced firing pin and call it day.

All that being said, I do want to take my time with this build. I rushed into my .308 build and purchased items I didn't need or were incorrect....and it cost way more than I was expecting. I want to take my time, do my research and slowly build this up. I figure worse case, it doesn't work out and I replace the barrel and bolt with something else and sell the 7.62 parts on gun broker for someone else to experiment with.

Hey man, I don't want to be a PITA like everyone else, and even after your last thread, I still feel like I have to chime in...

I would seriously reconsider. My shooting buddy has built a lot of ARs and he was getting bored and wanted something new so we both throught 7.62x39 would be a good idea. Same thoughts as you: cheaper ammo, etc, etc.

It has been nothing but problems and is so frustrating to use. And just to note, from the get-go, he spent the extra cash to get good quality parts and didn't cut corners or anything. YHM barrel (the fluted one) and BCG. Improved firing pin. All that.

The big problem is that those tapered rounds are not made to feed in a straight line like the AR magwell. No matter what we try, this thing misfeeds all the time. He has spent a ton of money trying different brands of mags, different sizes, etc, etc. We try to load just a few rounds in a mag, all different things. Sometimes this helps if we only load a few rounds in, but then sometimes it still fails to feed and gets all jammed up.

Not to mention, a lot of the mags are terrible in general. One day, two different brands broke after just a few times being loaded.

Supposedly Magpul is coming out with a 7.62x39 mag for ARs. Maybe they will be better?

And then there is the fact that you are feeding surplus Russian ammo into a DI system. It is super dirty and makes a mess of the BCG and everything involved. He started trying the Fiocci and Winchester brass cased 7.62, but that kinda eliminates the "shoot cheap ammo" idea of the rifle.

He wicked regrets it, and its been a total money pit. Looks real nice with the ACOG on top though...I think that's going to be moved to a more deserving rifle pretty soon.

Anyways, if you're still going to do it, I think you're overthinking the twist rate. Get the barrel you can, at the price you're willing to pay and it will stabilize the bullet. 1:9, 1:10 definitely ok, and I haven't heard of any problems with the 1:12 Colts either. All the YHMs are 1:9 I believe. Some in stock too.

BCGs I would just get what you can and don't worry too much. The 7.62x39s are pretty tough to find lately. YHM, Rguns, etc are out there. Check Gunbroker. You might be able to pick one up now for a reasonable deal. Or check the equipment exchange on arfcom.

I'm back at this will a little bit of an update. After some shopping around for a decent bolt I checked out Armalite's site. The site showed they carry 7.62 bolts but that they were out of stock. I'm not sure why I did, but I called to verify. I'm glad I did. The saleswoman told me they had one complete 7.62 BCG left in stock. So I ordered. It was a little pricey, I think $175. I also picked up a magpul stock along with a buffer, spring and tube and finished assembling the lower. I need to pin the stock but I'm going to wait until I can check what length I like first.
7.62x39 AR.jpg

Now I need to decide on a barrel. I can't decide if I want to go the more expensive route and get the YHM barrel and hand guard and iron sights, or if I want to go the less expensive route of an A2 front site, magpul hand guard, and an iron rear site. None of my other rifles have an A2 sight so I'm not how big a difference there is.

I know what I'd buy if I got the expensive route, but could use some input on the inexpensive route.

The barrels I'm contemplating are listed below, but I am open to suggestions.
AR Shaw 7.62x39 barrel for $220 at Model 1 Sales
Model 1 Sales: 7.62x39 C.A.R. Barrel

ESS Solutions 7.62x39 barrel for $164.95 at Justice Arms
ESS Solutions 16" 7.62x39 AR-15 Barrel Assembly

I'm unfamiliar with either manufacter to be honest, but for the price of the AR Shaw barrel, I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the YHM barrel which is $216, chrome lined and fluted.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've been thinking about the Sig 7.62x39 "556R", to get into 7.62x39

I've got the 556 SCM. I think I'd like the heavier round, for target shooting. It makes the metal plates swing more...

YHM makes nice barrels, i'd rank model 1 last. there was a group buy on ESS barrels, i am sure someone who bought one will chime in.

Good to know about model 1. I keep going back and forth about which direction to go.

On another note, I just went to YHM's website and see that they now sell 7.62x39 magazines. Only 5 or 30 rounders though. I can't imagine the manufacturer them. I wonder what brand they are.

I got a socom 556 barrel in the ESS group buy. Looks good, shoots fine. I know a couple of people got barrels with issues from the group buy though. Most were good to go though as far as I know. All things considered, I would go with YHM.

YHM makes nice barrels, i'd rank model 1 last. there was a group buy on ESS barrels, i am sure someone who bought one will chime in.

I got a socom 556 barrel in the ESS group buy. Looks good, shoots fine. I know a couple of people got barrels with issues from the group buy though. Most were good to go though as far as I know. All things considered, I would go with YHM.

Thanks for the first hand info. I appreciate it. The more I think about it, the more I want to go the YHM route. Just going to have to put a few more pennies aside. haha.

I may call YHM tomorrow to find out who manufacturers the magazines they are offering.

Just built one. Used a DPMS bolt, AR Stoner Carrier, 16 " barrel I bought off Amazon, from some company out of California, I have been using the C Products 10 rd magazines. Have had it out 3 times and the only problem has been underpowered reloads. Have put approximately 250 rds through it and couldn't be happier with it . I am not using steel cased ammo, which probably makes a difference. I bought everything just after the craziness started, so I pretty much had to use what I could find

Last edited:
Just built one. Used a DPMS bolt, AR Stoner Carrier, 16 " barrel I bought off Amazon, from some company out of California, I have been using the C Products 10 rd magazines. Have had it out 3 times and the only problem has been underpowered reloads. Have put approximately 250 rds through it and couldn't be happier with it . I am not using steel cased ammo, which probably makes a difference. I bought everything just after the craziness started, so I pretty much had to use what I could find

That's good to hear. I had been avoiding the c-products mags, but maybe I'll grab a couple for shits and giggles.

by the way[pics] [rofl]

I have a YHM barrel on mine and have shot a bunch of steel case through it. The only issue I've had was light strikes. You could re-chamber the round and on 3rd or 4th strike it would go. By the wolff extra power hammer springs and the issue goes away. - AR-15/M16 EXTRA-POWER HAMMER SPRING | Brownells. I bought the 3-pack so let me know if you need one. This is a great rifle for ar practice as the ammo is still pretty cheap and effective up close.

Check your PM's.

5a4yhu4y.jpg

Mgi lower . It has removable mag wells so you can swap between different calibers . The 7.62x39 uses normal ak mags.

Back
Top Bottom