• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.62 x 39mm brass worth saving?

i know my 5.56 brass is worth keeping, but im unsure about 7.62 soviet brass.
i have the normal 7.62 x 39mm Wolf rounds, which i will be using soon and i didnt know if anyone here wants them or could reload them... im new to the WASR10 thing

There is a brass trading thread here somewhere, I've got to go and march with my son in our parade today so no time to find it now.

But Iffin you don't want it, I'll take it, will trade brass or cash.
PM ya later.

If Wolf == Steel = Can't be reloaded

Brass I'd keep. I keep all brass I pick up even in calibres I don't shoot in case someday I do.

If it's brass and not steel, the scrap value alone is over $1 a pound. Decide for yourself if it is worth picking up.

As far as reloadability goes, reloadable 7.62x39 cases are uncommon. Most are steel, and the ones that are brass are often Berdan-primed. It's unusual to find Boxer-primed brass 7.62x39 cases.

I reloaded a few steel cases (9mm brass plated S&B steel cases) to see what would happen. They worked fine but a few split at the mouth. I don't think I'd try it with rifle cases, and with pistol brass being so plentiful, I have no reason to pick up the steel. I did it to satisfy my own curiosity.

you have to be registered to view that forum

Sorry, didn't realize that. The information was similar to what EddieCoyle posted though. Those guys were doing it mostly out of curiosity too, reloading steel .223 cases just to see what would happen. No split cases though and one guy reloaded some five times just to see what would happen.

The conclusion though was that it probably wasn't worth it because brass is still reasonably plentiful, but in a pinch could be done. Several folks noted that because steel is more brittle than brass that they probably should not be reloaded more than a couple times max.

I don't reload myself, I just thought it was interesting.

Several folks noted that because steel is more brittle than brass...

This is a generalization.

Steel is like wood - there are dozens of different types, all with different properties. Brass actually work hardens faster than many types of steel. Lots of steels can also be made harder or softer through heat treating/annealing.

If I had steel cases of a known composition, and an unlimited free account at a good heat treater, I could make them outlast brass easy. I don't, so I load brass.

I think I am going to start bringing my own brass bucket to the range from now on and start picking up any brass I see. It's a win win situation. The range gets cleaned up and I get brass to sell off. [smile]

yeah im going to start to pick up and sort all the brass i see now also, and either give it to, trade or sell it to who ever needs it. no need to have it go to waste.

Back
Top Bottom