#7 1/2 chilled shot

See if you go up to KTP, then Cabelas is just a little bit further and..well you know the rest. I did see shot at Cabelas Hartford on Saturday night, they had everything between 6 & 9, looked like the just got a delivery. So if KTP doesn't work out, Cabelas in Scarborough might have it. Good luck
That's the kind of logic that gets me in trouble. Just a short trip to Kittery turns into a trip to Cabelas - and once you've made a trip that far, there is no way you can just buy shot. At that point you need to buy at least one gun to make the trip worthwhile. [smile]

So I went to trap tonight and did a little better, although somewhat inconsistent. My first round with the 8 1/2 shot was a 19, but then I decided to try something and I switched to a full choke instead of the modified that I usually use. I ended up with a couple rounds in the 14 range, but the clays I hit were very solid hits.

I think I'm going to stick with the full choke and the lighter loads for a while - it will force me to be a better shot and really work on my form instead of just standing up there being satisfied with a 22 or 23 (which is what I have been hitting when I shoot 7 1/2 with the modified).

So I went to trap tonight and did a little better, although somewhat inconsistent. My first round with the 8 1/2 shot was a 19, but then I decided to try something and I switched to a full choke instead of the modified that I usually use. I ended up with a couple rounds in the 14 range, but the clays I hit were very solid hits.

I think I'm going to stick with the full choke and the lighter loads for a while - it will force me to be a better shot and really work on my form instead of just standing up there being satisfied with a 22 or 23 (which is what I have been hitting when I shoot 7 1/2 with the modified).

Do you have an Improved Modified?

Try that!

I don't - unfortunately I only have a full, modified, and improved cylinder. The modified works pretty well for me when I shoot heavier loads. I kind of like the idea of trying to learn to shoot trap with a full choke, though - I think it will make me a much better shooter if I can stick with it and be willing to throw up a 12 or 13 every so often.

While it is true that different guns, and different brand choke tubes can all pattern differently, most of the time an Improved Modified choke is the one to go with when shooting singles (non handicap).

A lot of beginners find a full is better, but usually because they are hitting the bird too far out. Once you get used to hitting the birds "earlier", the IM is the way to go.

Stop doing the dance. M-F choke will do from the 16. Again if didn't know what choke was in your gun you most likely cant really tell anyways. Don't do the choke dance. If you like the full stick with it.
If your shotty is shooting where you look and your taking the clay on the rise a modified choke will smoke a clay as much as a full.
One thing to check is that your chokes fit flush and you can pattern then to be sure they are shooting the shot in the same direction. 2 chokes that came with my citori would throw the pattern off to the right. I noticed one day installing them with my fingers they wobbled a bit. And when tight you could actually see a slight gap on the left side of the tube.

Back in 2003 my brother who shot in the ATA convinced me to join him. After I got all my targets my average was an 86 and this was all on reloads with 71/2's some being with a shot maker. When we went to the Minuteman I shot from the 19 and ended up shooting a 96 tying for 2nd place with 3 other shooters for the day. After the 8PM shoot off I ended up third out of 366 shooters. Of course I didn't play any options and lost out on a lot of money but I was OK with that. I shoot a Pendersoli O/U that cost me $1,200. I lost to a guy with a $10k Krieghoff and beat a guy with a $15K Perazzi so like others have said, the gun doesn't make the difference if you know how your gun shoots. I shot better that day than I ever had and later picked up some cheap boxes of Remington #8's on a trip down to TN at a Bass Pro Shop. My next outing I shot 117 straight and have not looked back. I continually shoot 97-100 to this day using the 8's and IM choke. I only shot the ATA that one year as life has kept me busy doing other things and only shoot trap from time to time. Both my brother and I were blessed with very good eyesight and shooting skills. We will not shoot for months, go to the club and shoot 24's & 25's. Luckily when I started back in 2003 one of the club members (Parker was his name) gave me some easy advice. Parker had won the national at least once but I believe twice. His simple advice was my stance. He told me to stand like I was standing in front of a urinal, (relaxed and feet shoulder width apart). He told me to look straight ahead at my point of aim and mount the gun without really moving my head. Sorry, kind of hard to explain exactly what he meant but he didn't want me to move my head around on the gun. Both elbows up too. If your elbows are down it will cause your gun to rise when moving to the right and drop when moving to the left (right hand shooters). I followed all his advice and got the results above. He helped me between my qualifying rounds and the state shoot so I would say his teachings got me another 10 birds per 100.

I'm hoping that right now it's part of the whole scare everyone is taking part in, but I'd like to think it will come down to be governed by lead prices again at some point. Seems like anyone with a metal supply business would catch on and start marketing at a lower price.

I can dream, can't I?

Just came back from North Shore Firearms - they had a new pallet of #8 and #9 for $39.95 for 25 pounds. There may have even still been a few bags of 71/2, but I didn't search for any because I was happy with the #8.

Other than KTP, the only place I know of that stocked shotshell loading stuff was Roach's which is now gone.

Back
Top Bottom