#7 1/2 chilled shot

That Guy

Banned
I know there is an entire reloading sub-forum, but it generally deals with rifle/pistol cartridge reloading, not shotshell, so I figured I would ask this here.

Does anyone know where to get #7 1/2 chilled shot on the North Shore? For that matter, reloading supplies in general? The places that will ship reloading supplies to MA charge a LOT for shipping a 25# bag, so it makes it more worthwhile to pick it up locally even if it is a little higher in price. I was able to find #9 and #8 1/2 magnum at North Shore Firearms last week and they have a decent supply of wadding (even had 209A primers last week), but I shoot trap and like #7 1/2. Where do people go for reloading supplies on the North SHore?

I would imagine KTP would have what you are looking for, although a slightly longer drive. Of course I would call ahead unless you like to browse anyways. Good luck in your search.

I'm heading up to Maine this weekend anyway, so I'll definitely check there on my way by (my car steers into their parking lot on autopilot anyway).

But if anyone else has suggestions for places closer to Lynn, I'd love to hear them.

rotometals has free shipping.....price of shot ?

Minute Man Sportsman's Club has reloading stuff also

Last edited:
I was up to KTP a few weeks ago and picked up a bag for around 50 bucks broke my heart but I have a crap load of components I want to use up [shocked]
What I'm doing now is picking up target loads at walmart and Dicks for around six bucks a box will continue to do so until I can find a deal somewhere.
I just cut my shooting back by one round per trip unless I'm shooting with a group that wants to shoot one more round[smile]

The majority of "serious" shotgun reloaders belong to clubs, which occasionally do a "group buy" of components. Of course, it takes planning, but it's generally the best way to get them.
I'm not really a serious reloader yet - just got my equipment last week and I just missed our club's recent group buy. I will be getting in on that in the future.

I'm not really a serious reloader yet - just got my equipment last week and I just missed our club's recent group buy. I will be getting in on that in the future.

Given that you're just starting out, load up with #8 shot if thats whats easiest to get, you truly won't see any measurable difference unless you are shooting doubles or handicap.

Given that you're just starting out, load up with #8 shot if thats whats easiest to get, you truly won't see any measurable difference unless you are shooting doubles or handicap.
When I patterned it I found it was dropping a little faster than 7 1/2 but now that I know that I think I can hit birds with it. I hope.

How are you patterning your shotgun......believe me I don't think you would know the difference between 7 1/2 vs 8s. Heck if your shotty is shooting where your looking you wouldn't notice between 1oz and 1 1/8 once of shot.
Now back at 27 yards or parking lot games 7 1/2 might be better.
So believe me get what ever shot is available 7 or 8 for the price you want to pay. Four seasons had some shot piled up near the entrance a good while back??

I pattern it at either 25 or 30 yards (I forget which) - that's the only spot that holds the patterning target at my club. There is definitely a noticeable difference between the different shots.

Also, the shot I loaded was actually 8 1/2, which I found to be odd since I had never heard of anyone using that load. But it was what I could find - I figured if it wound up being to light for trap I could always use it for skeet.

I proved to my wife as it was proved to me. If you don't know what's in you shell your targets especially at 16 yards wont know either and they will break if you and your gun are on target. You should be taking targets as they rise. My wife uses 7/8oz #8 shot with modified choke and crushes the targets when she focuses on the bird and follows through. As for pattern testing. www.mn-trap.org/...winston/Point_of_Impact_and_Pattern_Testing_... I wasted a lot of time until I found this. It gave me the info I needed to have my shotguns shoot where I am looking. Allthough I keep loosing the link the army marksmenship unit has a good video on basic trap gun set up and adjusting the poi. If your mind is set on 7.5 then by all means feed you mind what gives it the best confidence. When shot prices and availability was poor back in 07 I started loading reclaimed shot mixed size down to 5/8oz for practice. From 16yd they worked just fine if I did my part...
We have a old timer at our club. Comes down with a single shot 410 gauge and like a machine will smoke 25 like its nothing. He gets the birds right out of the house. Only tip he gives is full choke and eyes on the target.

Thanks for the link - interesting information. I've never patterned a gun before and really only went to the range to make sure my reloading skills are going to make the thing go bang - since I was there I checked the patterning.

I will say that the best shooter I know at my club is a guy in his 70s that told me he's never patterned a shotgun in his life. I watched him crush 60+ in a row the last time I shot with him (two straight 25s and then half way to a third - it was impressive). So I can definitely see where you are coming from. I'm heading up to trap tomorrow morning - and I'll shoot how I normally shoot without compensating for lighter shot or anything else. I'll let you know how it goes.

I load any thing from 7/8oz to 1 1/8oz from 950fps to 1250 fps. From the 16 yard line I change nothing. Mount.call.focus.shoot.follow through. I don't line up sights or aim in any way shape or form. For hahhahs try a low mount and pretend your bird hunting. Call for bird. Track bird with eyes as gun comes up you will already be moving to the target you will also be less likely to stop your swing during/after the trigger pull. You might surprise yourself and hit more solid breaks.
One thing I do is after taking a shot I do not quickly dismount the shotty from my shoulder but rather follow the clay to the ground(biggest piece if broken) to the ground. If you find yourself looking for a piece to follow your eyes are not looking where they should be.

Ps my 1st 50 came useing a 20g chamber only adapter in my 12g citori. 7/8oz 8s from the 20 yard line shoot off during a 20g night shoot.

Last edited:
Thinking is the enemy of the Trapshooter.

Shoot the gun you have, with the ammo you have.

I tell new shooters not to stress too much about the "right" gun or "right" ammo, until one target out of 100 makes a real difference to you.

My son is a better shot than I, and last year went 100 straight with el-cheapo Federal (IIRC) out of an 870. My best performance was 98/100 from my antediluvian Browning A5, and reloads.

What Mac1911 said, I mostly agree with....but I "Focus" before I "Call".

Realx......

Ps my 1st 50 came useing a 20g chamber only adapter in my 12g citori. 7/8oz 8s from the 20 yard line shoot off during a 20g night shoot.
I'm still looking for my first 25 - I've only been at this since November. 23 is my best so far. Maybe tomorrow is the day!

Following the shot is great advice - someone grabbed me and told me to do that, especially when I miss and honestly, I think it's done more to improve my shooting than any other piece of advice.

Misterchappy nailed....stop thinking... I see more guys running the targets with estates than any other ammo.

I was looking for 7 1/2 's last year and went to Al's in Derry NH after considering the drive to Heritage in RI and after checking all the shops I go to regularly and KTP. Might have been a couple of bucks a bag more than Heritage, but the gas money made it a wash or cheaper. I've seen mixed reviews on Al's on NES, but he does buy and stock shot in volume despite the fluctuations in prices over the past years, and he had what I wanted ( I stick with 7 1/2's but will have to start considering 8's with the good advice provided here).

Oh, and picked up a nice Mosin and a reasonable price while I was there.

That's "Happy," NOT "Chappy"

[angry2]

[laugh]

Product of responding with my phone.....sorry.

Al 's in derry nh was/is a good spot for reload supplies. Al did a few big sales a year, trailer sale.
Our club currently has members who will drive up there to purchase ammo for trap house.

Last edited:
I'm still looking for my first 25 - I've only been at this since November. 23 is my best so far. Maybe tomorrow is the day!

Following the shot is great advice - someone grabbed me and told me to do that, especially when I miss and honestly, I think it's done more to improve my shooting than any other piece of advice.

I love shooting in the snow....snowing very good here.
You know you may consider a shotmaker.
YouTube

I love shooting in the snow....snowing very good here.
You know you may consider a shotmaker.
YouTube
I went up this morning to eat breakfast and see if I could con someone into opening up the range. About 9:30 we had five people who wanted to shoot at least two rounds. The wind was howling, the snow was coming sideways and it was about 20 degrees. I had the wrong ammo, my gun sucks and there was a small rock in my shoe.

Those are my excuses for a terrible showing today - but, everyone else was having a tough time, too, so I don't feel as bad. We were only able to shot two rounds - a lightning round and a regular 16. I was better in the lightning round by four birds - I'm not going to say numbers out of a severe sense of embarrassment.

Wednesday night will be better.

49/50 is pretty impressive on a good day - doing that yesterday is nothing short of spectacular. That is impressive. I'm thinking about calling KTP and taking a little trip up there this morning to shop if they have any shot.

See if you go up to KTP, then Cabelas is just a little bit further and..well you know the rest. I did see shot at Cabelas Hartford on Saturday night, they had everything between 6 & 9, looked like the just got a delivery. So if KTP doesn't work out, Cabelas in Scarborough might have it. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom